just got my Venue Pro 11

Discussion in 'Dell' started by yb8438, Nov 20, 2013.

1. yb8438

yb8438 Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks awesome! Microsoft store has it in stock! Try your local store!

2. wowaz

wowaz Pen Pal - Newbie

Some more information please! :)
    Does the Venue 11 Pro have the Stylus/Digitizer issues like the 8 Pro? How is the Display? Which Version did you get? If i3/i5 does it have a passiv or active cooling? Question over questions :)

3. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Would love to see a video or pics of it...thx if you have time.

4. yb8438

yb8438 Pen Pal - Newbie

i am not sure, have not got my pen yet. i checked Dell.com it seems thsat there is no driver update as VP8 does. the screen is amazing. i had VP8 for two days, but uneven birghtness made me to exchange for VP11. however, for VP11, the screen is slightly darker on the bottom. not a big deal though... i got atom version and it is the only avilable version

5. BellevuePaul

BellevuePaul Pen Pal - Newbie

Another poster indicated that she saw a Dell Venue 11 Pro at the Microsoft Store, so since I was nearby the Bellevue, WA store I went to check it out. Sure enough, there were two of them on display, both Atom model 5130 2GB/64GB, which had just arrived yesterday morning. I tried one out for awhile and got all my questions answered. Just on a lark, thinking the answer would be "no" (since Dell says it can't deliver one to me until Dec 13), I asked if I could buy one. They had to rummage around on the loading dock, but came up with two of them, same model 5130.

The first one I took home turned out to be defective. Its touch screen was very slow and the setup program (which asks you for the time zone, the wifi password, the Microsoft account, etc.) wouldn't run. So I took it back a couple hours later and they exchanged it for the other one. This second one works perfectly so far. It is really quite an impressive little device.

I will be using the Dell Vanue 11 Pro to replace my current travel computer, the Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T, which has been well-used for the past year. The Samsung was also an impressive device. All of my Office programs ran great on it (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Outlook, OneNote), and I could even run some database-oriented engineering applications well enough to demonstrate them, if not do real number-crunching. As a travel computer it was almost perfect, except for a few issues: it sometimes ran out of memory or got slow or non-responsive, especially if a lot of complex web page tabs were open. I occasionally had to reboot at inconvenient times. The battery life was not what it used to be, and could no longer last through a full workday plus a flight home, which I could easily do when the tablet was new. I also was wishing for a higher-res screen. So I was happy with the Samsung but felt that a few all-around improvements could make it even better.

The Dell looks like it will be everything I was hoping for and more. My first impressions are:

* It's much faster, to a very surprising level. Access to network drives over wifi is quicker. Browsing is much faster, both wifi access and page rendering. Spreadsheet recalculation is much, much faster, probably up to the level of a real desktop computer for most people. Try as I might, I haven't been able to get it to hang up or issue an out-of-memory error. I launched every desktop application I own plus about 20 web page tabs, and no complaints. I inserted a 64GB micro-SD card full of data, which it easily indexed overnight (thank you Windows 8.1 for making this so easy).

* The Dell tablet is thinner and a little smaller than the Samsung, but 1 ounce heavier (1 lb 11 oz). The electrical cord and adapter are much smaller and lighter (9 oz for the Samsung, 4 oz for the Dell). It is a 2-prong wall-wart adapter with USB cable. I found I needed a light extension cord with the Samsung and I will still need the same cord with the Dell. The tablet feels dense and has a reassuring grippy-feeling back.

* Higher-resolution. This is really nice. I can make the type smaller and still read it with my aging eyes. So more information fits on the little screen. I don't have a compatible stylus yet, but am finding I can operate this fine with my fingers, even though I will prefer a stylus.

* Battery life. The jury is still out, but making the battery replaceable and having the extra battery in the keyboard (which I have on order from Dell) should alleviate any battery life problems I was having. You dock the tablet into the keyboard, then plug the micro-USB AC adapter into the tablet. The tablet charges for 4 hours, then the keyboard for another 4 hours, according to the manual. Then the keyboard discharges first for 7 hours, followed by the tablet for 10 hours. So we will see, but anything close to this will be just great for me.

* I am looking forward to trying out Miracast and USB 3.0 attachments. If Miracast works this will help to realize the full potential of the device for making presentations.

I usually travel without the keyboard unless I'm expecting to do a lot of typing. With the keyboard (advertised as 1 lb 12 oz) the unit is heavier than many small travel laptop computers. Keep that in mind if you always plan to use the keyboard. Also, when combined with the keyboard TSA will make you take the unit out of your bag, and flight attendants will make you stow it for takeoff and landing. Without the keyboard this doesn't happen anymore.

I'm very happy with the Microsoft Store. They exchanged the defective computer cheerfully at no cost, and didn't load any crapware at all on the device. There were only about 5 desktop programs installed, including Office Home and Student, and only the standard Microsoft "Metro" apps. My only criticism of them is that they do not sell any Dell accessories at all. So I still have to order the keyboard and stylus from Dell.

Mesosphere and hp2 like this.
  6. yb8438

yb8438 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here are a few pictures.. photo 1 (1).jpg photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

7. wowaz

wowaz Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the nice review. I just have one more question. Could you please test if your version (without WWAN-Module) supports GPS?

8. brian1

brian1 Scribbler - Standard Member

There will be an updated touch firmware posted for the 5130/7130 soon.

9. brian1

brian1 Scribbler - Standard Member

GPS over WIFI without the WWAN module. If you get the WWAN module, it includes the GPS module as well.

10. landofvanilla

landofvanilla Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you run a simple test? On the manual it states trickle charging (~24 hours to charge) is possible with a non-dell adapter.

This means using your typical tiny cube 5v / 1a micro-usb charger that comes with your samsung galaxy phone or iphone.

The manual states that the included 24-watt adapter outputs a 5v / 2a mode, so I think that may be trickle charge as well.

I'm just curious whether a 1 amp adapter will still charge the device, or if you need a larger 5v / 2 amp adapter to trickle charge.

Reason I ask, is I have a portable solar charger at 7 watts (5v, 1.5a) and curious if it will do the job on the go. If it does, that's an awesome combo for backpacking / camping. (brand = strongvolt 7 watts). Thanks!

leaftye and hp2 like this.