just got my power cover

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by wolf1306, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I sure hope you're right! I have pets, so stuff in the air is a given. And I don't have either Type Cover, so have nothing to which to compare the Power Cover. It feels like it's a "fabric" textured rubber material, and I don't like it. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, but I'm not loving it at the moment.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm yea, I can see how pet hair and stuff can get collected on it. A damp micro fiber cloth should make the cleaning process way easier.
    I usually need to clean mine once a week, which is what I did with my previous laptop.. actually no.. twice a week I used to do it. Now once a week as it doesn't show like before.
    And when I cared a cat once, for 2 weeks (was an awesome cat), I did have to clean my laptop palm rest and keyboard daisy, and get the vacuum out to remove the cats hair. I don't know how it is with the Surface Pro 2 Type Cover 2, as I didn't get the chance to have a cat in the house with the device.

3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Assuming it's the same as the Type 2 cover's material, the material is actually more durable than it looks. I've used mine daily since October and it still looks the same as new.

Tempted by the power cover, really disappointed it's not backlit but I don't think the extra wieght would really bother me. And, like others have said, it can be removed in a second for true portability.

Curious, does anyone know if the SP2 will still fit in the Nixon sleeve with the Power Cover attached? I LOVE my Nixon sleeve, having to find a replacement would make me sad.

EDIT: Well, I officially have the will power of a puppy lol, just placed an order for a Power Cover on the MS store... I''ll report back when I receive it. ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  4. stevemcf

stevemcf Pen Pal - Newbie

If Microsoft's recent history is anything to go by then we wont see the Power Cover here in Australia for quite a few months (still no sign of the dock here and 256GB SP2's are in the same category as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster). Could someone please post a pic of the Power Cover connectors, mainly the two outer tabs and, if someone has a multimeter, measure the voltage output of the cover as well. I'm curious as to whether it is 12V (like the charger) or 7.4V (like the internal battery). From what I've been able to glean from other sources, the two outer tab contacts should be ground and the two inner ones the voltage. Armed with enough info I think it may be time to become a bit inventive...

5. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone have an issue where the Power Cover doesn't charge past 80%. I haven't seen my cover go past 80%. I left the Pro with the cover on the dock all last night and this morning, The Pro is at 100% while the cover is at 80%.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Does anyone have an issue where the Power Cover doesn't charge past 80%...>>

Have you checked your Power Management settings to see if it is now expanded? (Note that the March "Patch Tuesday" release installed a couple of Power Cover-related updates.) Perhaps there is now an 80% charging option for the Power Cover...?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I posted this on the MS Support Forums... will re-post here...

Here is the link to the Power Cover Reference Guide:

Power Cover for Microsoft Surface | Surface Power Cover

Relevant section:

Charging sequence

The Surface and Power Cover batteries are charged and discharged in a sequence designed to keep most of the charge on the Surface battery. Understanding the sequence makes it easier to predict how much charge to expect on each of the batteries.
    Which battery gets charged first?
    Once Surface is 80% charged, it starts charging the Power Cover. Then, when Power Cover is 80% charged, Surface finishes charging. When Surface is fully charged, Power Cover finishes charging. Surface and Power Cover will charge whether Surface is on or off, as long as Surface is connected to a power source and Power Cover is connected to Surface.

untitled (3).png
    How the batteries charge.

Which battery is used first?
    When you&#8217;re using Surface and Power Cover and the Surface isn&#8217;t connected to a power source, Surface draws power from Power Cover first. When the charge on the Power Cover gets low, Surface switches to its own battery. If the battery on the Surface gets low, it switches back to drawing power from Power Cover.

Power Cover continues to charge your Surface while it is in sleep or on standby. If Surface is turned off and unplugged, or the Surface battery is completely drained, it can&#8217;t detect the Power Cover or draw power from it.

If the battery on the Power Cover is completely drained, you can still use it as a keyboard.

untitled (2).png
    How charge is transferred from Power Cover to Surface.

GoodBytes likes this.
  8. thetruth1983

I've double checked and I can't seem to find any new settings related to the power cover. I'm going to try discharging it and then recharging.

Thanks for posting this and I now know how charging should work. However, from what I understand, my power cover should have finished charging to 100% after the Pro reached 100% right? I'll try again tonight after I run down the juice in the cover but right now, I can't get the power cover to charge past 80% even if the Surface is already at 100. Maybe something got screwed up when I did the update since I did all the updates several days before receiving the new cover.

9. thetruth1983

Here is a pic of the connecter.

2014-03-24 16.38.44.jpg

10. thetruth1983

Just wanted to chime in and say that after letting the power cover completely discharge, it's now charging to 100%. Whatever the quirk was, it's gone for now.

Edit: Disregard the above statement. I woke u this morning with the same problem (tablet at 100% and cover at 80%). Furthermore, I burned through the entire 80% of the cover in less than an hour and all I had open was Chrome and Onenote. I'm going to have to play around with it some more to figure out what's going on.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014