just got my power cover

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by wolf1306, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I agree it is shame as I have a few too many SD cards. The issue microSD for me is the size, and the worry that I may misplace it(did it once with an old card for my phone). I could always get another wifi card, but speeds are bit slower there. :-/ but so far it seems like the SP2 and power cover may win out as my next device.

2. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got mine a bit ago, have it connected to my SP1 now. It came approx. 50% charged, the SP1 found it immediately and shows it as charging.

As a keyboard/touchpad, it's head and shoulders above the stupid 1st gen touch keyboard I've struggled with. Yeah, it's heavy, and the setup now feels like an ultrabook, but that's why I chose Surface in the first place. It's now a true tear-away, while touch cover + SP1 more "tablety."

I'll report back with battery improvement, which is a huge issue for me. I'll likely need to send my SP1 in for replacement as it has the infamous "plugged in, not charging" issue the fix hasn't resolved. Even with maximum power saving, I'm only getting 3-4 hours on the darned thing, so this cover is a saver!

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

So here is my first test with the Power Cover on the Surface Pro 2 256/8 (CPU - U4200)

Started test both batteries at 100% using Balanced Power Plan with 80% Brightness(Adaptive Brightness Active)

Power Cover lasted 3 hours 20 minutes
    Surface Pro lasted 7 hours 10 minutes
    Total - 10.5 hours on battery

jl199954 and bloodycape like this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

That very tempting to hear, dam it. How is the balance of the keyboard and Surface when in use?

5. jnjroach

Using the Power Cover with the Surface Pro 2 makes it feel much more akin to an Ultrabook at least when sitting on a desk or table...

ColoKaren likes this.
  6. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you loop a video for the rundown test? I'm charging mines now and I have to admit that it is thicker than I expected. If adding backlit keys would have increased the thickness, then I understand why it was left out.

7. jnjroach

Nope this was normal work day stuff, working in Excel with large Pivots pulling data from my Data Warehouse through VPN, email in Outlook, PowerPoint and Lync, normal internet stuff, this also included using Miracast to extend my screen during some conferences, I expect I would see better results not using Miracast (3 hour meeting).

thetruth1983 likes this.
  8. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's cool. So far I like the keyboard even though it is kind of thick. I'm going to look into getting a cheap touch cover just to use around the house. I think it's pretty amazing how versatile the Surface has become. Tonight is the first time that I go to work and intentionally leave my charger at home.

9. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed BatteryBar Pro (evaluation), and it's amazing how different its meter findings are from the built-in power meter. I ran my first test using 50% max processor and 30% screen brightness on my SP1 yesterday, kept the normal number of fairly high CPU-draining processes running, and in Airplane mode about 50% of the time. My SP1 alone only gets between 3 and 4 hours at that setting (according to the built-in meter). I squeaked a little over 3 hours out of the Power Cover, and approx. 4.4 hours out of the SP1.

I'm testing at 42% max processor/20% brightness today, and both the BatteryBar and built-in meter estimates are 9.5 hours. 42% typically is sufficient for running Outlook, Word, a couple auto-updating web pages (CNN, facebook), and OneNote, with OneDrive also running. 9.5 hours is pretty respectable for a 1+ year old unit with normal battery deterioration.

Only thing I really dislike about the cover is the weird fabric-like shell. It picks up every microscopic speck, which makes the touchpad erratic and annoying. I also worry that the shell will soon look like caca, develop tears and stains, etc. It will serve Microsoft right to have a bunch of folks showing off their prized ultrabooks covered in duct tape.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have the PowerCover, but it should be the same as the Type Cover 2, and that should not happen.
    The texture is easy to wipe clean with a good quality microfiber cloth. You can apply a bit of water for any hard to remove dirt, like ay other surface.
    Either you have a faulty PowerCover, or you are in a very dusty place, try somewhere else, like a coffee shop (because it has WiFi) or something. That's for the dust issue.
    The device is covered in rubber and should not be try. If you see tear than definitely not normal.

I would definitely arrange an exchange.

Windows built-in battery meter is really good at determinate the battery life of your device. As the way it works is gives you results based on current behavior, not do an average.
    So, to maximize battery life, it allows you to take action quickly. Not to say that the Batterybar software is any bad. I guess it depends on how you see things.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014