Just got an ASUS R1F!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by P8RSON, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

I registered here so that I could tell the world! It's my first post, so bear with me...

I want to take the chance to thank everyone on this wonderful site and excellent forum. I have been "lurking" around for the past 6 months, and literally checking this site every other day, so that I could make my choice. The advice has been really great and informative. Love the reviews!

I only have the R1F in my possession for 2 hours, and the impression is a good one!

There were 2 issues that worried me before I bought this, that has been thouroughly discussed previously, but I thought that I would add my 2 cents as new end user:

(1) the stylus. It's true that it has a cheap look. It's plastic with little weight. And the there are horrible scratches on the stylus, no matter how delicately I put the stylus into it's "hole". The good news is that if I rub on the scratch, the mark disappears.. but I will not be putting my stylus in there anymore... and this may be slightly inconvenient when I travel around with it. I might try a 3rd party stylus later (I see that there is a new thread already posted - thanks).

(2) The wobble on the screen. It's a great relief, becuase I will not classify this is unusual. If 2 parts of any device is only attached to one another at one point only, and if you use some force to rock it, it is bound to "wobble". If you want to eliminate that "wobble", you must put 2 points on an attachment - and it won't be a convertible anymore!

Oh and the handwriting is great. I've tried both English and other Asian languages, and it works well. The 13'3 is just short of A4, so it feels quite like "real paper".

And BTW - if you are thinking about getting a R1F, go for it! You will be proud like me

2. youngmicroserf

youngmicroserf Pen Pal - Newbie

Congratulations, weinilourson!

Could you add a third cent and check your R1F's audio jack for electricall induced noise (CPU load related, drive related, mouse movement related) with a headphone of your choice? I don't know if you read the thread about this issue, but I think I am not the only one who would like to know if this is an isolated problem or one occuring on a good amount of machines. Thanks for a reply, here, or in the other thread.

YMS

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Grats on the purchase.

As Young asked...check the audio out jack for static.

4. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

good job weinilourson, i was thinking of joining the R1F club also...however i am still debating it (i'll probably wait like a week or so more untill i stop hearing stories about how the headphone jack is messed up)

Keep us updated on how your expaeriance with that tablet is, i'll be sure to read it :)

5. walterthet

walterthet Pen Pal - Newbie

You know how R1F has integrated Graphics. Is this a bad thing and is it upgradable?

Thanks

6. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

depends on what you're looking for. if you're into heavy 3D graphical stuff then no its not good. But if you're looking for lower heat and longer battery life then it is good. And no, it's definitely not upgradeable.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just to add....
    The processors with integrated graphic chips fitted in todays laptops/tabletpc's are much more powerful than the one's of old and granted, whilst the other end of the market has also increased their graphical powers, the integrated units of today are powerful enough to run the demanding tasks to the likes of Photoshop and all.

The most important item you need concern yourself with is getting a decent speed processor (1.83 & above) and lots of RAM (1GB min).

8. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1.83? Thanks for crapping on the entire North American user community!:p

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not my fault if you are a cheapskate :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.