Just got an Acer C314...

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Barry J. Doyle, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow...that was all very useful. I have SBC DSL at home, using a Linksys wireless router. How do you turn Bluetooth off? I'm at work at the moment, and so I can't read through the manuals or anything. I assume it would be in the Control Panel though. I'll fiddle when I get home.

The switching orientation seems to be when I have the most problems...so that could be it too. I'll see if I'm able to reproduce the error (if it hasn't already been fixed).

And I'll search on converting from FAT32 to NTFS. Are there any disadvantages to doing that? Thanks again for your help! I love this site!! :)

Seriously, I think this is the most helpful forum I've ever been on.

2. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

None. NTFS is more efficient and also has better security options should you choose to use them.

I would really like to reformat the entire C314 drive as a single NTFS partition (which means reloading the OS from scratch and NOT from the recovery CDs) but I have not gotten up the courage to do it. I have the Microsoft MSDN Universal subscription so I do have XP Tablet available.

Anyone out there do it? Rebuild XP Tablet from scratch? I really do not want to be a pioneer here.

I went into the Acer Power Options (Power Options icon under Control Panel) where you can control devices both on and off battery. My Acer 8006 had an external button for turning on/off various devices - much more convenient.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Besides the Acer software utility, there is a hardware Bluetooth button above the keyboard also.

4. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

Despite having downloaded the memory leak fix, I still have problems with my computer "acting up." But it does seem only to happen when I first start up and my computer is trying to look for a wirless network connection. When I'm at home, I don't usually have this problem since it autoconnects to my home network. But when I'm travelling, it seems to try and search for a network or try to connect to a network...during this time, if I try to do anything else, the Acer responds sluggishly or else not at all. It seems I have to wait for the wireless network connection systray icon to either connect to a network, or at least definitively find one that it can't connect to. If it's still searching or trying to connect...then I really cant' operate it.

I may try to turn off the wirless network seraching via the Acer ePowerManagement system and see if that helps at all when I'm travelling (ie., when unplugged).

Any other ideas? It's really not a huge problem, but a little annoying at times.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think that you already have planned your best strategy by turning it off. This is a common issue with many devices. If you have any software that automatically seeks and internet connection that starts up with Windows, then the problem is even worse.