Just got an Acer C314...

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Barry J. Doyle, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm really new to the whole tablet pc thing, and recently, i decided to buy an Acer C314xmi on impulse (after reading the reviews on this site).

I don't know if I'm just ignorant about the Windows XP Tablet or not, but after I turn on the computer and switch between traditional laptop mode and tablet mode a couple of times, my comptuer seems to malfunction. It will either not readjust the landscape of the screen, or else it will be very very slow to do so. And even if it does readjust itself, the mouse pad seems to be very sluggish and unresponsive.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Thanks!

Like I said, I'm also really new to the tablet pc world...so if any of you have any suggestions on how to maximize my use of it, that'd be great too.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a little strange. OUt of curiosity, how much RAM is in your machine?

3. lovellpcl

It has 1GB of RAM

4. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

I am not seeing that on my C314. I did install a Microsoft Memory Leak fix which might be responsible for your problem.

Pulled the following from my OneNote notes: (OneNote is so cool!)
    go to microsoft.com and search on KB895953 to download the fix.

KB895953 - Memory Leak in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

Validation Required
    This download is available to customers running genuine Microsoft Windows. Please click the Continue button to begin Windows validation.
    File Name:

WindowsXP-KB895953-v4-x86-ENU.exe
    Version:
    Date Published:

7/5/2005
    Language:
    English
    Download Size:
    722 KB
    Overview
    A memory leak in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 causes a gradual decrease in available system memory. This loss in available memory causes degradation in system performance. When this behavior occurs, the user must restart the computer. This problem is caused by a memory leak in the tcserver.exe service.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You definitely should install the Microsoft Tablet PC OS fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...54-14e3-408e-8c63-0a382e8d9239&displaylang=en

6. lovellpcl

Thanks MRL and Barry...I will give that a try and see if it works. I'll keep you posted either way. Thanks again!

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Your are welcome ;)

8. lovellpcl

After running the Windows Update, my Acer seems to be working much much better...but still not 100% perfect. When I first ran the update, the computer worked fine in both modes for a day or two, and then one time it became sluggish again...I restarted and it has worked fine since then. Except last night--upon starting up the Acer, it was slow to respond initially, but after about 15 seconds it was like something kicked in and it was fine. The symptoms do seem to be in line with a memory leak, and so I installed the update directly from the link Barry sent , and it has worked fine since then.

If the sluggishness persists, I assume I can just reisntall XP Tablet normally can't I? Or is there any special about reinstalling the OS on a tablet pc?

9. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

What kind of network are you using - wired, wireless? I have Bluetooth turned off so XP does not even try to look for a Bluetooth device. I have Comcast and sometimes it takes longer to get a dynamic IP address at boot-up. I have also noticed that when you switch orientation and are using WiFi, the OS seems to "search" again at times.
    I would not recommend that you reinstall the OS just yet. I did convert the 2 45GB partitions from FAT32 to NTFS. Search for "Convert to NTFS" in Help.
    It would be nice to hear from others as to "slow downs".

10. jgermuga

jgermuga Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm,

Perhaps this has nothing to do with the situation, but I get this "kind" of flakyness (if that's a word) with my Dell laptop. After docking and undocking a few times, it get's itself all in a tither. Thinks like my key repeat slowing down and my mouse jog wheel refusing to work.

I find these quirks far better than the last laptop, which at times would blue screen under the same situations.

Never done any low level programming myself, but I imagine that device "hot swapping" is one of the more difficult things to master in getting the drivers right under Windows. You may want to check if Acer has any driver related updates as well.

John