Just got a used 500t, updated everything and... works perfect?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Ryan LeCocq, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan LeCocq

Ryan LeCocq Pen Pal - Newbie

I was recently hired at Samsung and of course I can only carry company products at work. I'm one of those rare, real world Windows Phone and Tablet devotees and I wasn't exactly stoked on switching to an Android phone and tablet. So I decided to buy my own gear and picked up the AT&T embedded 500t.

After reading all of the posts here, I was ready for a nightmare trying to get it up to current W8.1 with working drivers. Lo and behold, I followed the instructions posted here EXACTLY and everything is perfect. I went from a completely fresh factory restore and did no other tweaks or fixes besides what is listed in this forum and experienced none of the problems others have complained of. Dock works perfect, sleep works perfect, battery goes 9 hours easy and my 4G does not suck down data because I'm not a moron that leaves both it and live update active 24/7. Seriously people, follow instructions.

I'm actually really happy with this thing. I just needed something that said Samsung on it and ran Windows, but so far I've been very impressed. No it won't play games, but that's why I have accounts on several cloud gaming services.

One thing I haven't seen much on is workarounds to improve storage performance. I know there isn't much to achieve with the built in flash, but there have to be some tweaks. For example I've tested a high speed microSD and found that regardless of card rated speed, the interface tops at about 22MB/s, so even an ultra+ sd is not really a good expansion option. Same for USB. Regardless of source drive speed, seems to be limited to roughly the same 22-23MB/s. Has anybody tried using like readyboost or messing with cache? Normally I never need those kinds of tweaks, but I have seriously limited options on this device.

2. Ryan LeCocq

Everyone else has probably traded these in long ago, but I thought I would share more findings just in case it helps anyone. Someone commented about 6 months ago that the AT&T embedded version seems to run slightly slower. It's the AT&T All Access app. It runs on startup and is really only useful for monitoring your data (which you can just do on the website or with your phone), so I just disabled it. When running, it uses about 10% of the CPU and 10% of the memory, accounting for the feeling of it being 10% slower.

Overall, I've found the opposite to be true. Generally tablets with digitizer panels are slightly slower, because the panel software is always running. Funny that AT&T's bloat is so inefficient that it slows it enough that the non-stylus model would be noticeably slower.

3. wildpig1234

wildpig1234 Scribbler - Standard Member

glad everything worked out for you. I hvn't any problem with it since the last bios update which finally fixed the connected standby power drain (only when not docked w keyboard though). when docked w keyboard, it doesn't properly sleep and the battery drain is about 1%/hr rather than 0.5%/hr. But this was still miles better than what it used to be of draining 2%/hr or more even without keyboard....

I have both AT&T and non-4G ver. If i knew beforehand, I would not have bought the AT&T ver. AT&T refused to unlock it for me so it's useless that way since I am on sprint. also the supposed GPS/GNSS on the AT&T ver doesn't work at all. Its more of location by network triangulation rather than true GPS. Completely BS and useless.

So I bought a XE500T1C-a03us which does have a proper Broadcom GNSS which works perfectly with centrafuse localizer. On top of that it does have a stylus which the at&t one doesn't. Very happy with this..

I do wish that the cpu could have been a z3740 with 4 gb ram which would have been perfect. but i guess you can only hope for so much...

4. Ryan LeCocq

I'm on AT&T, so it actually works really well for me. Also the GPS works much better for me even when I'm not using mobile data. My guess would be it uses cell towers and wifi signals to locate you and only works with an active sim. It could also just be that there is wifi all over the place in NW Washington state.

One thing I find ironic about this tablet, is that it was originally desirable for running full W8, yet the graphics adapter makes everything run better in app version. It's almost ridiculous watching a totally basic game like Jedi Knight 2 stutter on this thing, yet Halo Spartan Assault runs flawlessly. Everything from Netflix to VLC player runs dramatically better in W8 app vs desktop version.

5. wildpig1234

it is really more optimized for Ms store apps rather than full win8 desktop programs, not surprisingly

6. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I still have my 500t but I'm just tired of the crappy palm rejection; I use mine for writing fast notes (math).

7. wildpig1234

Ryan, plz tell Samsung to get back to making these convertible tablets, updated ones of course. too bad they stopped with the 500t and 700t.

8. Ryan LeCocq

A couple of updates since people are posting. About not being able to unlock the tablet. If you have been an AT&T customer for over 6 months they will send you unlock codes on request. Though I can't say for certain if they were just being difficult at the time. I'm a previous AT&T employee who left on good terms, so it's possible they are more helpful with me. My tablet is unlocked and I have tested it on T-Mobile, but not Sprint.

To wildpig again, I agree completely. I'm the one renegade Windows user in my entire region and I sit there opening excel sheets instantly while my coworkers wait for Google Docs or Polaris on their issued devices. I honestly think Samsung should go 100% Windows, phones, PCs and tablets. If we combined our efforts with Microsoft, we would be the largest power in technology and we could overcome all of the setbacks of both companies with our massive resources. It's no secret that Apple is the only real competition of us both and they profit greatly by us competing amongst ourselves, as well as with Google, LG, HTC and the other Asian brands. I personally hate Apple now for not being what they once were and I want to crush them on a personal level. Google is no friend to any of us, any more than Amazon is. They're crazy techno cults and I never know what crazy good or bad thing they are going to do next. Microsoft at least is another traditional megacorp that just wants to make stuff people will buy. Here's hoping I get promoted and have any say in any of this.

9. wildpig1234

my 500t is still one of the longest battery life windows devices. The only other ones I have with comparable or better batt life is a levono yoga 2, asus x205. The asus is more of a netbook as it has no touch screen without detachable kb. but the 500t still beats them both with 64gb storage built in....

I wish Samsung would release a bay trail tab with 1080p screen. The yoga 2 is good that it has 1200p screen along with a 15 hr batt life but it gets huge deduction for not having a proper keyboard with true electrical connection. That is a huge deduction as not having a true electrical connection means you can't use it during bios and initial set up as well as not being able to implement an additional full size usb port so you can't use usb device at the same time the tablet is on ac power.... To me, a BT kb is not really a kb. And yes, I don't mind half more lb of weight for the additional benefits of a real kb dock.

I almost went with the asus t100 (which has a proper kb dock but only has 768p screen and 10hr batt life) but returned that and kept the yoga 2 but that keyboard thing just keep bothering me a lot.

My ideal tab would have batt life at least 12-15 hr , 2gb ram, at least 32gb ram, built in gps, microhdmi, microsd. It also should have 1080p screen. also need a real kb dock, not a crappy BT substitute. all for $400 or less... I think it's possible?

10. Ryan LeCocq

Our next ATIV tabs were going to be that exactly. The only hope for those of us that want to buy one is that Msoft and Sammy will make nice soon. It's a badly kept secret that the sudden "indefinite delay" of all of our ATIV products (phones, tabs, pcs) happened about the time Msoft announced its lawsuit against us. The whole thing is stupid anyway as we are 100% correct, Microsoft has no claim on Android and they are in fact now a phone competitor who cannot collect royalties based on a competitor product they no longer own any part of. Just stupid middlemen and lawyers dicking it up because they have no real job to do.

I actually picked up an X205 myself, but wasn't that impressed. Fortunately I only spent $80, but I expected the quad core to feel significantly faster than the previous generation atom. Doesn't seem to load complex web pages and heavily formatted docs any faster than my 500t. Fortunately it was a gift for my bestie to replace his old Eee PC netbook, so it's a giant leap from that old n280 powered POS.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.