Just discovered the awesome "Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen" feature!!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steve B, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I feel a bit stupid about this, as I'm not sure when this check box appeared in Windows 10 in the Pen Settings, but HOLY CRUD!! What an amazing difference this makes. Pick which hand you write with, then also check this box. Of course, there's always been palm rejection, but it was very iffy unless your specific desired program (CSP) baked it in really well. But now, even in Sketchbook Pro, I can still pinch to zoom, etc., all that, but basically you have to now really try to make marks with your palm while writing. It can be done, but with the testing I did, you really have to work at it. This should be activated by default, honestly.

My preferred design program is Sketchbook Pro because of the landscape plans I do and the geometric tools it has. Ever since I had the pleasure of having a touchscreen though, I've had to deal with erasing errant marks all the time OR wearing a dorky glove (I hate them and find them hot and restrictive). I've tried using CSP or using the Windows Store version of SBP, but neither is as fully featured for my workflow as the desktop version of SBP.

This very simple improvement Microsoft has made is a REALLY BIG DEAL to my professional workflow. I can now use the fully-featured desktop version without gloves and draw out plans while meeting and talking with clients, in real time. I can also work without a glove and do my design work without having to do "cleanup". No errant marks, no accidental triggering of things with my hand or palm. A tremendously simple, functional improvement. Honestly, as I've thought about the iPad Pro and tested it out recently, this sort of touch-pen combo optimization is something I've wanted from Windows. This change is a welcome stride in the right direction.

Has everyone else been using this already all year long? Or is this new to anyone else? LOL!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    lovelaptops likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's been around for at least a year, I'd say.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Lol. Well, there you go. All the hits online seem to suggest some time after the start of 2017. I guess I just missed the info when it came out.

I was honestly confused about it first, because I assumed it just was about typical palm rejection. Which supposedly we already have. I did not recognize it was a more sophisticated solution. Is this something that everybody else has normally been using for the last 9 to 10 months? :p

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Steve B likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Fwiw, I discovered this on an hp x360 spectre in January and suddenly ran into numerous posts of traumatized owners of the same machine on various blogs, Amazon and Best Buy product reviews, hysterical because they couldn't use their touchscreen for a couple of seconds after using their pen, lol. Don't recall if you could set the delay between last pen contact and reactivation of touchscreen (like w/touchpad palm rejection settings) but the default caused a delay until you could use the touchscreen and folks were not happy. It was one of those: it's a feature, not a bug, situations. Can't tell you how many times I've been on the wrong side of one of those discoveries and went nuts trying to figure it out! I recall googling it and pasting the info wherever I encountered desperate users. Small down payment on kharma :D.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Steve B likes this.