Just Bought T4210

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by TheGuac, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello,

This is my first time writing on this forum, but I have been reading the posts lately as I attempted to make the decision for a tablet pc. I was originally interested in the HP tc4400 because I used to have a tc4200 that I absolutely loved--its solid build and responsive keyboard were all wonderful. However, I couldn't justify spending almost $2000 on a computer that hasn't really changed that much and that which still does not carry an optical drive. After researching extensively between the T4210 and the tc4400 (the Toshiba is not worth it), I made a leap with the T4210 today on newegg.com.

The price ($1724) for 1.83 ghz dual was pretty good I thought, although the memory could have been greater and hence, I bought 1 gigabyte of RAM from corsair to allow for 1.5 gigabytes in the final product. The one thing I really didn't like about the Fujitsu was the white keyboard. Won't it get dirty and gross after a while? Can anyone comment on the keyboard and its general responsiveness as well? I will use my tablet as mostly a laptop with some slate, so the keyboard is very important. Also, if any of you know the tc4200/4400, you'll know the case is made of heavy-duty magnesium. Is this the same as the Fujitsu? In other words, is the build quality exceptional? Thanks a lot!

I should receive my tablet on Wednesday. Any general comments on the tablet would also be appreciated. Is the RAM easy to change and if I wanted to change my hard drive to 80 gigs 7200 rpm, is that easy? Thanks again.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've owned a couple of Fujitsu's both with the light grey keyboards you mention (one for nearly two years).
    Both keyboards still look absolutely lovely and would only get in your words 'gross' if not looked after..... I clean mine like I do the rest of the chassis, just to keep it looking clean, new and fresh.
    In other words, you look after it and it will look after you.

As to the tactile feel of the keyboard, although not as good as my P7010 it still ranks up there as amongst the best.

As to the case, yes it's high mag-alloy as well and with reinforced plastic to take the odd knock or two.
    Which leads me into the build quality you ask.....
    If you have ever seen, touched or used a Lifebook, you would instantly know that when you are using one of these devices you most certainly know that the built quality is second to none..... I would actually rate it higher than the T4200/4400.

For RAM changing....
    I made a couple of posts about this in a different thread here.
    However, suffice to say; turn the unit upside down, unscrew the very small screws, slide out the protective plate, insert your memory module, re-insert plate,screws and away you go, pre-configured and working immediately.
    Total time to change RAM..........less than a minute and has to be one of the easiest machines I have changed. :)

3. Hey_Flatus

Hey_Flatus Pen Pal - Newbie

I live in Canada. That means that your 1724$ USD transfers to ~1954$ CAD.

... ... ... HOLY SH*T!!! Thats a good price!

The best I was able to find up here for the same config is 2235$ CAD or about 1972$ USD. (www.cendirect.ca). 250$ more!

Can anyone tell me where I can find this model (in Canada or in the US that ships to Canada) for about the same price as the one on newegg.com? (and yes I checked, and they don't ship to canada :( ).

4. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah so I was thinking that probably getting the indoor outdoor screen might not be such a good idea after all...

Maybe i'll just spring for the super cheap version of the tablet, but it doesn't have bluetooth does it?

5. TheGuac

Hi,

Thanks for all the information! Actually, this DOES have bluetooth according to newegg. I think it's a spectacular price and people should take advantage of it before they run out. Also, can anyone comment on hard drive replacement? Thanks so much!

P.S. How do you usually clean your keyboard? With a soft cloth and water?

6. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

im in no hurry, the jury is still out on the indoor outdoor screen so im waiting for more input.

7. geekocd

geekocd Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the same model through newegg this weekend and it is an amazing deal. Case in point: for the same price as the laptop + warranty if I'd allowed another company to customize it (such as fujitsu or superwarehouse), I got: the tablet & warranty, 1gb stick of ram to upgrade its ram, an external dvd-burner, external enclosure for a 120gb hdd I have, a personal laser printer, spindle of 50 dvd-r, speaker set, and an extra mouse!

8. TheGuac

I think the indoor screen is better than the indoor/outdoor. Of course, no company can rival HP's indoor/outdoor screen, which was amazing on my tc4200. However, those screens are in short supply now. I'd rather prefer a non-grainy screen (Fujitsu's indoor screen) to a grainy one (indoor/outdoor). I guess we'll wait and see, but I'm sure, knowing Fujitsu's record, both will be bright and beautiful. At least I can hope =). Anyone with an indoor screen can attest to the screen's clarity?

9. TheGuac

Also, for the amount of money I would have bought an HP tc4400 with indoor/outdoor screen and 1.83 ghz and 1 gigabyte ram, I got an 80 gig 7200 rpm hard drive and 1.5 gigs of ram. Plus, you have the optical drive built in. I think the HP is very well built, but they are falling behind in the tablet pc game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.