Just bought my iPad

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by joce21, Mar 26, 2012.

1. joce21

joce21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have a question for owners of the new iPad. I read alot of forums that says that the new iPad is useless because of no stylus support or no flash support, etc...

This is my first iPad and I'm still waiting to receive it. I was looking for a tablet to check mails, watch video and basic things. I already have a laptop that I use for gaming and working. So what's your experience with this new iPad? Is the no flash support really annoying? Can you jailbreak this easily? Are you really limited in what you can do?

Thanks.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most people on this board hate it because it lacks a proper pen solution. Going from an active, pressure sensitive Wacom Pen on our tablet PCs....to an inactive...fat foam stylus is a drastic step back for pen needs.

However, if you really don't need a pen...the ipad is perfect.

The lack of flash support was and still is annoying, but increasingly so more and more websites are going the way of HTML5 for effects, or re-coding their websites so they are accessible to ipad users.

But email, video, and basic things, the ipad is great.

The put it in idiots terms , The Ipad excels at Basic tasks.

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Jailbreak for ios 5 is harder..you have to jail break after every single update.. A pain.

4. Mr_Smith

Mr_Smith Pen Pal - Newbie

Apple hasn't sold tens of millions of these things because they are a piece of junk. The new Ipad 3 is very slick to use, tab on something, it loads up almost instantly, the interface to me feels very smooth and the screen is very crisp and clear. If you are just going to tap out a few lines to a paragraph the touch screen is fine, or you can dictate your email down, if you are going to be typing up pages and pages of text...well you can get a keyboard dock for that or use your laptop.

At the end of the day, you need to really try a device and play with it to see if it suits you. You can read people's opinions on forums all day, what suits you, may not suit me and vise versa

You have to be happy with it, that is why it is always best to go into a computer shop and have a play with the "thing" you are thinking about buying, get a feel for it etc...etc..
    If you can't do that you can youtube at people's unboxing and review videos to give you a good idea of what you are thinking about buying.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi,

You stated that "I was looking for a tablet to check mails, watch video and basic things."

In that regard, the iPad will satisfy exactly that and infinitely more functionality than you would expect. While there is no "perfect" device out there, Apple has refined the iOS user experience to near perfection for current Tablet use.

On a side note, I highly recommend that you consider any "jailbreaking" ideas with extreme caution. There is so much the iPad can do right out of the box - it seems like the risks associated with jailbreaking including voiding the warranty, stability issues or even worse bricking your new device that it's just not worth it.

Great luck and since this is your first iPad/tablet, you are in for some REAL FUN!

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me, this is my first Ipad, I bought it 2 weeks ago. In all fairness it is a great product, especially with this form factor. My main use of it is as an ebook reader. However, one big flaw (an this is really big) is the lack of a digital pen support. In fact, with all the talk about handwriting recognition apps on the ipad, I Can't help but wonder how they get to ink in the first place. It is very laughable and I find myself returning 8 my Asus slate EP121 on which I'm inking this post.
    I'd say, there's room for Win8 tablets with wacom pens in the tablet market . I just hope Microsoft doesn't screw up and neglect the pen. No doubt my next device will be a Win 8 transformer type tablet with Wacom pen.

7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Let me pile on by saying that you have bought a great device to "check mails, watch video and basic things".

Also, you're going to love the 10 hour battery life, great screen, and general lack of hassle.

p.s. Welcome to TabletPCReview

8. ethansamuel17

ethansamuel17 Pen Pal - Newbie

I generally use my new iPad for conducting interviews, record role-play scenarios, write e-book via dictation, I can share and show interactive media, pictures and video etc. checking mails, and keeping notes by using finest apps of iPad.

9. jemyclarke

jemyclarke Pen Pal - Newbie

I have iPad 3 which is really amazing tablet and I like most. Hope I will buy iPad 4. Apple always give something different applications and features in it's gadgets. I play lots of games in my iPad and It make me really fun.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013