JUST BE HAPPY

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by dstrauss, Apr 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

With apologies to Pharrell Williams, I decided to open this thread at the "suggestion" of @dellaster (or to be honest, at my reaction to Ted's thoughts on the matter) Surface Go. Hopefully it will be a respite from my RANT CITY MOC thread and an attempt to chronicle a search for happy computer use instead of computer perfection, and why ALL of the vendors fall short in this category. I've been using computers for 35 YEARS, and it has been a constant source of aggravation, anger, disappointment, complaining, and just plain unhappy results. Why - because my expectations ALWAYS exceed the state of the art (or is it just the state of computing given economic constraints). Anyway, ted is right; nothing wrong with being happy with our choices, even if they don't work for anyone else.

2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

@dstrauss -- And who could have guessed that it would be you who started a topic like this? ;)

I've cycled through them all several times in the past decade--Microsoft Windows, Google's Android, Apple iOS & MacOS. Each started to annoy me unbearably after six to twelve months and then I'd start eyeing the other camp. Android has managed to piss me off on tablets in less than three months this time (it's just plain not good on tablets), though admittedly the release of the iPad mini 5 and very fond memories of my iPad mini 4 LTE probably are coloring my outlook (Apple does know how to do a tablet OS). :p

Anyway, it's time to stop fighting a return to iOS just because of certain things I don't like about Apple. After all, I dislike Microsoft and especially Google at least as much, for differing reasons. Time to just go with what I know worked for me in the past and be happy with my choices. :thumbsup::newpalm::vbbiggrin:

Starlight5 and dstrauss like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The problem is you get comfortable....and then a company changes something that takes you out of your comfort zone.

Case in point Apple for me. I used to have a Droid 2 Global Phone (that I hated) and a separate iPod touch for music at my gym. When I got the iPhone 4s...having a single device do both roles of Phone and Music player was all kinds of awesome and got me on the Apple Camp right into the 5s.

But then Apple started changing/messing with their music app.....what was a perfectly seamless experience became a nightmare in usage for me. The tipping point for me was when they messed with the search function in the music app. Like there was this one song I liked to listen to and the track was called "Message to the World". I had a few other MP3's with both "Message" and "World" in the title...but instead of sorting thru the artists and titles.....I always did the search function.....and as soon as I typed "Me" or even just "W"....that song would pop up since it was my most played track at the time.

Then after an apple update that changed the music app.....my Searching would no longer do that. It would pull up every other track with Message or World in the title....but my track wouldn't pull up first.....but not only that it wouldn't pull up at all.......if I manually sorted thru....I could find the song....so it was still there....but even if I typed in the full title....the search function wouldn't pull up the song. And then I noticed this with other songs. It was like Apple was trying to get the App to....highlight other lesser played songs.....which is not what I wanted. It was like my Smart Phone became a Dumb Phone....and I jumped ship back to Android with a Note 5 and never looked back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we're more then Happy with something....until its gets changed.....or something better comes along.

Starlight5, dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I've been miffed with the T904's fan screech and near-inaudible speakers and LCD-to-glass-air-gap for the three years I've had it. After two years with the Yoga 720 15 I can't think of any hardware that doesn't work right. The fingerprint reader sucks but I blame Windows software, and the display is 4K but not 10-bit wide-color-gamut HDR, although that's not bad in itself, even if a top-of-the-line display would be nice to have.

Definitely the best computer purchase I've ever made.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm actually quite happy with my now 6 year old Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Obviously battery life sucks on it, but to be honest I use it twice a day. In the morning when I wake up and don't quite want to get out of bed yet I Tapatalk myself through all the U.S. based messages here while I was asleep. I also have the Samsung cover for it, and that is a contributing factor for my happiness with the device. Although it is designed to give it support for watching videos, or while typing on a BT keyboard, in portrait mode it actually functions as a book spine, so it is very comfortable to hold in one hand, while scrolling with the other. I then charge it, and when it is time to go to bed I again open up Tapatalk to see what our European contributors has come up with during daytime in Japan, and after that I look at what Google Now thinks I should know about.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I sometimes run this playful thought experiment:

When I get a computer, new or eBay used, while running it through its paces and checking over the features, I day dream that I've time traveled back to 1979 with it in my time travel backpack, and I'm showing it off to my old neighborhood gang.

Man! In 1979, a thin screen is right out of Star Trek! Just the whole concept of a graphic user interface with a mouse pointer and files you can click on, and (holy cow!) movies (showing off Empire Strikes Back a couple of years before it even went into production?) would blow people away and seem like just about the coolest thing ever. -I mean, the electric typewriter on my friend's mom's desk back in the day seemed like sci-fi at the time!

I pretend that I'm a resident of the 70's and have come across this laptop, have no idea what it even is, (home computers weren't even a thing!), and pretending to explore its features and work out what it does and how it works. The writer's brain in me asks, "Would you even know how to turn it on, let alone grok a file system?"

For these scenarios, I always have the password taped to the back of the device so that discovery can be made. A week later, (in thought experiment time), I might allow my fictional self to discover the stylus, and imagine the mind-blow and excitement of learning that you can draw on the screen! Ha ha! Learning Photoshop would be like practicing archeology on artifacts from another world!

After day dreaming through that scenario, boy, I find my new purchase surrounded in a glow of vast appreciation!

Sure, I've had computers with dumb annoyances, I've bought lemons in the past, (that Dell Inspiron 7658 was buggy and annoying to the point where I accidentally-on-purpose cracked the screen in frustration), but I still feel like I'm living in the *Future* most of the time when I survey the gear currently on my desk. Heck, those folding screens which were headlining a few weeks back? They didn't even have that stuff in Star Trek! We're beyond the future in some ways.

Being a professional day dreamer adds a fair bit of 'happy' to my life!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

Well, it has been hectic, stressful, not to mention exhausting and the week is still only halfway thru.

I have enough of computer(ing) at work where these techs belong.;) It is nearly 10 PM here and I am still in the office. 3 days in and I'm starting to copy the local staff working hours.

@dstrauss - I have no comment really. I may not spent much (or at all) in my PC tech but reading and commenting on this here forums is enjoyable and pleasant because of people like you, rant and all. :D

Carry on.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Also brings a small sense of reality to my pity parties and "whoa is me" whining about my tech challenges. I was starting my law practice in 1979 - and lived the other side of your dream. We got a CPT Word Processor in 1981 and our first computer in 1984, an IBM AT with 1/1000th the power and storage I have today in my two year old GB12, much less the incredible power and storage of the 5.5"x2.75" slab of glass in my pocket from Apple.

:):):):D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

^This!!! I'm so frustrated that there is no clear upgrade for me from my current convertile - it's more like sacrifice this, that, and pay way more than I usually spend on a device. )'=
    I definitely should adopt this practice. \=

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, when I decided I could give up a transflective display, the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 became a lot more palatable --- now that I've gotten off the upgrade treadmill (reverted to 1703 twice now). I figure I'll just use this thing until it dies.

When it dies, I'll probably have to break down and get that Apple Mac Mini / iPad Pro duo I keep talking about, and if that doesn't work out, I'll probably just give up on computers and tablets and so forth, retire, and just do woodworking.

I can spend the money I'll save on getting a Bridge City Tool Works Jointmaker Pro: