Just a note on the optical drive and power saving features

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 23, 2006.

1. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

I couldn't believe it, but I got three almost identical emails from forum members and although I replied to them, I want to make sure everyone else doesn't have a panic attack if they run into the same thing.

1. The optical drive on the US model anyway is a slot load.. the drive doesn't "open" - you inset a disc into the black slot, and it'll suck it in once it's about halfway in (it sounds dirty, I know).

2. Heat..... You tablet guys and gals are probably new to Asus and aren't familiar with "Power4Gear" or it's dedicated running man button on the system. Out of the box, if you're on AC power - you're running the CPU FULL BLAST - that equals heat and a lot of it.. these cpus are designed to scale, but power4gear is designed to let YOU decide what power is where. If you're on battery, I suggest Email or Office mode as it'll scale the cpu down to under 1ghz and that'll keep you running cooler. The software is really cool, but you need to play with it and learn it and once you learn and how it's working for you - then you can modify it... then you can change the settings quickly with the button by the keyboard.. That program changes cpu speed and lcd brightness - you need to tweak it so you get the brightness you want and the cpu speed... but you'll learn it.

Like I said, I can't beleive I got three emails - all with the same two questions and yet it's not something that was mentioned on the forums yet.... Just a PAS so no one else stresses out. I know when you get something new if you even think it's not perfect, you probably start to sweat and freakout... I'm like that, so I know all about it. That's why I'm writing this at 11pm on a Friday evening... so you're not hearing it from me on a Monday.

2. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

how do you modify the CPU performance while on AC? it seems while it's plugged in.. you can't really choose any other profiles that can change the CPU speed (Gaming, Presentation, Quiet Office, High and Super).

Am i mistaken?

3. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

DVD mode will lower it.. but super high and high performance is full cpu...

I suggest looking into notebook hardware control (NHC) if you really want to get down to tweaking it a lot.