Just a little heads up

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You probably have some sort of global contract with Google Ads or something like that, because I get a lot of Japanese ads when I visit the site. However, you should be aware that many of those are sexually explicit ads for "hentai" sites. Personally, I don't care one bit. But you might get people in the future that could get upset. Let's face it you don't come here to look for cute anime Girls with a penchant for anal.
    I just thought you might want to be aware for future reference.

2. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Personally, all I get are tech product ads and it's all I've ever gotten on any TTG site, NBR, TPCR, etc. Well, whenever I checked reports of inappropriate ads to see if I could replicate it. There is however one way to avoid ads entirely, set the forum style to default vB4 style (also has the side effect of greatly improving forum readability) or use an ad blocker.

I have however seen some ad services behave strangely sometimes, so if it happened just the one time, I'd attribute it to a fluke more than anything else.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Thanks! I've let our advertising people know and they are looking into it.

4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I thought ads were tied to your browsing history. To me I always wondered how is it that TPCR knew which products I was browsing on Amazon. Then it hit me that sites like these were probably exploiting the current PC's cookies or something.

So I may be wrong but if haven't been browsing for hentai on you PC someone else in the house may be...

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

.. and yet another theory: maybe an extension in Chrome has gone rogue. Some smaller extensions developers are bought off and hand control of their extension off to the bad guys, who can modify the code to replace ads on the fly. That's what I'd tell my spouse if this ever happened. :)

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...you don't come here to look for cute anime Girls...>>

Kuma: Thanks for the heads up. Interestingly, I've never seen this apparently because I always use the default vB4 format. Since it's already being looked into, I'll leave it at that.

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Kuma is definitely correct. Just looking at "meet Asian girls" ad as I'm typing this post and I'm in Japan.

Sent from my SC-02E using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.