JoliCloud as an hasslefree 2nd OS

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by sonus911, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone installed Jolicloud onto their Slate? I've installed it onto my Archos 9 tablet. Never got to install it on my Slate though. Its a great OS to use for touch, I really loved the simplicity of it, as well as the huge app library. The nice thing about it was how it pretty much worked out of the box. And was just as easy to install as a 2nd OS (run the setup program from windows) or uninstall (add/remove through windows uninstall). The only real hitch was installing the linux touch screen drivers for the Archos 9. Assuming there are linux drivers for N-Trig it should be a straightforward affair.

Unfortunately there's no OneNote for linux, but there is handwriting recognition through program's like cellwriter... and besides it seems a lot of you guys aren't OneNote junkies like I am....
    http://www.jolicloud.com/
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I can see no reason why not to get an iPad instead. You can have two 1st gen iPads for the price of the slate...

3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

N-trig has ubuntu drivers, which jolicloud is built on. I'm not sure if they have them for the digital pencil option of the slate, but the uTouch and Unity multitouch demos were done on on a Dell xt2, I believe.

Why is it better than an iPad? I'm also running on an archos 9, and a full Linux os with a dual boot into windows is just way more powerful. With a dual boot, you can have you full powered windows side, and also a quick boot into a light weight web-centric os that still has access to the bazillions of programs in the ubuntu repositories. Flash, working google docs, even microsoft office online, although stupid one note online doesn't display ink. I have evernote installed through wine in jolicloud for my quick ink note needs.

I know the slate is already a much more powerful machine than the archos, so I'm not sure if there would be as big of a performance difference. My archos stays booted into jolicloud because it's so much faster and I only switch it back to windows if I want one note inking.

I'm still waiting on the used prices to drop more on eBay, but if I had a slate I would definitely at least try jolicloud on it.

4. sonus911

Hey Viola! I'm the one that contacted you for help in getting Jolicloud installed onto the Archos. Thanks again!

I really do recommend you try the Slate first chance you get. It really is like night and day in terms of inking and speed. I'd probably still have my slate right now if selling it hadn't been so profitable earlier on when it was first released. In fact the only reason I still have my Archos is because installing Jolicloud on it breathed new life into it

You could... but the appeal is having the option to boot back into windows when you need to.

5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The HP Slate and the iPad do a lot of things in common but also have big differences. But ultimately the Slate is an open general purpose computer and the iPad is an appliance.

6. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I understand your perspective; I agree and this is the reason why I have the slate, despite it having half the battery life, a much worse screen, and inferior build quality when compared to the iPad.
    That said, If you install an app-centric OS, like JoliCloud, on the slate, you lose the benefit of having a "general purpose computer." This effectively nixes almost all of the slate's advantages.

7. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I just tried installing the Windows Install version.

It supports nTrig but there's a big problem - no onscreen keyboard or at least not one that comes up automatically. I couldn't see any way to bring one up. Thus no way to log in. You can select Guest mode, but that's no help. You'll need to connect to the Internet by WiFi which in most cases, will require typing in the key.

Also, to use this, you have to have either a Facebook account or a JoliCloud account - and - yes, type in the ID and password.

I managed to log in by connecting a keyboard, but that kind of defeats the point of having a slate. :)

Also, while it boots up fairly quickly, it's only marginally better than just coming up from sleep in Windows.

8. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

If you mean 'no reason to not to get an iPad rather than installing JoliCloud' I would agree if you're thinking JoliCloud as the ONLY OS. However, the idea is more to have a fast boot into the Internet... while retaining a full Windows system for more complex tasks - which cannot be done with the iPad or iPad 2.

However, it turns out that JoliCloud really doesn't deliver and doesn't work well on slates (which is kind of weird given that it was intented as a slate OS).

As for build quality, you don't really have any useful metrics on either side to support that. We don't know how many Slates have been sold and how many of them have had quality issues. Not surprisingly, when someone has a problem, they bring it here to complain.. most people don't come here to 'complain' that their Slates work perfectly.

I know the ONLY build quality issues with my Slate have been the plastic ring on the pen breaking, and light bleed on the display - which, interestingly, is a problem being reported on the iPad 2 as well.

Screen quality on the iPad is better, but the HP screen is hardly 'bad'. And battery life is the tradeoff for a more powerful system that can do more things. I'd love to have 10 hours on the Slate, but being able to run Photoshop and Visual Studio simply blows away the iPad's longer battery life.

9. sonus911

Jolicloud wasn't really intended for tablets, but for netbooks thus there's no builtin on-screen keyboard. However, there are steps to get one working, I have it working with the builtin keyboard button on the Archos 9. I followed ViolaJack's blog to install a keyboard.

Technology, Music, Life: Jolicloud 1.1 install on Archos 9

You can skip to the autologin and keyboard parts since apparently everything else works well out of the box. I'm not sure if its the same process as far as mapping the keyboard, but it should be similar, or you'll at least get an onscreen keyboard button.

Regarding sleep mode, resume is instanteous with Jolicloud.

Hope that helps!

10. rockface

rockface Scribbler - Standard Member

The Slate really is the best of both worlds! Having the docking station hooked to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse gives you all the power and functionality of a desktop when you need it (depending on your needs). And the ability to take it to a meeting as a note-taking tablet when you need that.

Many corporations (mine included) block public cloud sites (like Google Docs and Everneote). So having the SD card and USB port (something iPads will never have) lets you keep all your documents local. Being Windows pro, you can log into the corporate LAN and access anything as if you have a full desktop workstation.

As much as people hate it, having Windows Internet Explorer is the ONLY browser that lets me access my timecard (Deltek). Also we use HP's Quality Center to track software defects... and it too requires a full (desk-top style) browser to install all it's overhead crap.

Bottom line, if I had an iPad or Android tablet, i would still need another computer to do my work. With the Slate 500, I have a desktop and a tablet rolled into one slick little device.

Thanks HP - you got this right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.