Jeff's "Apple's Consumer-hostile Design Choices Make Me Nuts" Thread

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by lovelaptops, Jul 25, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

PS: To give one very specific example of what I'm talking about with safety is to take a lithium ion battery used in a cell phone.

Regardless if it's drawing power or nor, if one of those batteries get's bent or ruptured, it will start to heat up quite rapidly even explosively. Because of this for safety, it's required to have circuitry to detect those situations. In a cell phone which is for all intents and purposes, always on, there is circuity that monitors that to a greater or lesser degree dependent on the manufacturer.

With a removeable battery, they would have to, in order to comply with current regulations, put that circuitry in each and every battery which would add both cost and increase size and weight, versus having it reside in the phone itself where it's already doing things like that for the rest of the phone.

This lack of onboard circuitry in the batteries themselves is the main reason behind the strict carry on and general transport of "raw" Lithium Ion batteries on airlines.

PPS: and yes, for the reasons listed above batteries such as the Mophie or Apples add on battery case have that circuity in them. And it's also a big part why they discharge relative rapidly regardless of being used or not

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    YVerloc and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@desertlap I appreciate the effort to give a detailed example (and I don't mean to "take you to task", but considering the thread, a little probing is in the spirit of things, no? ;))

So building off your example, newer laptop internal batteries do already come with fault protection circuitry. It's just a question of how feasible this is to put into a modular form factor. In theory though, those modules would not be any less safe than carrying around cellphones. This is why I say the main reason isn't safety, but simply cost-saving (ie. reducing engineering/QA complexity).

PS. I wish I could "vote with my wallet", but it's kinda tough in the current market... :p

3. desertlap

Certain types of probing i'm ok with:eek:

So yes to address the point at hand you are correct about the feasibility and the safety factor issue are then somewhat like a cell phone and cost is certainly a factor as well.

But... and there's always a but:D, there is yet another complexity in that the related stuff to protect the batteries is designed on the presumption that it's in the device. On it's own there's some additional variables related to the environment ( in a hot car, deep inside a laptop bag....) Short answer I've heard is that they don't think consumers or most businesses would pay the increased costs at least enough to justify everything else, so yes it's about money :cool:

OTOH this is the type of niche areas where my company shines. eg. a couple of our devices can be powered by a lead acid car battery.

4. desertlap

To get the discussion back on track with what Jeff intended, one of my biggest gripes is Apple's "our way is the best way therefore it's the only way we will allow " approach to customizing the OS UI.

It's virtually impossible on IOS and on MacOS any third party stuff that works now usually breaks with a subsequent OS update.
    Compared to Windows where you can customize almost everything to the point where it doesn't even look like windows.

I for one make a lot of use of several 3rd party widgets for a variety of basic tasks. On MacOS it's pretty much what's in the stock OS or "good luck with that...." for anything else.

WhenUtry likes this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, because it's possible in Fall Creator's Windows 10 or later to naturally select text w/ a stylus w/o a side button.

This bug is still open:

https://github.com/TheJoeFin/Windows10-Community/issues/17

and I've rolled back to 1703 twice now. I will _never_ buy another Microsoft product until such time as I can use the stylus as I've been accustomed to since Windows for Pen Computing.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@WillAdams, I hadn't noticed the issue you have raised, but now that you have brought it to mind, it really is a p.i.t.a! As @desertlap referenced, above, I did initiate this thread because my now-frequent use of Apple product (since 2019 iPads) has brought to top-of-mind how many such inexcusable flaws or restrictions have increasingly been designed-in just feel like they shouldn't have to be that way. Point being: most devices and/or their software contain such flaws, not just Apple, not just MS - though perhaps I should initiate a new companion thread with the same title, but replace "Apple" with "Microsoft!" :mad::D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. WhenUtry

WhenUtry Pen Pal - Newbie

I do hope that tech sees the same development as fashion did. People once scoffed at eco-friendly choices, now one designer brand after another proclaims that they are plastic- or fur-free. The luxury brands (which Apple certainly is in tech) tend to set the trend. Hope they do something especially in light of electronic waste being turned away by third world countries that take them in the past and expose citizens to harmful materials.

wytn and lovelaptops like this.
  8. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

For years I've resisted the iOS trend and easily get frustrated by how much people are raving over their design and specs... when in fact many androids are far better/more advanced. But oh well, they have charmed both the young and the old, that even equally expensive accessories (hello, airpods) and stuff like in this iOs gaming list sell hugely. I thought the XR & XS release will end it all, but it seems like supporters remain supporters. I wonder until when their pockets can keep up with the highly expensive stuff from Apple. /sigh