J3500 + 8 Gigs RAM ?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by 2disbetter, Jan 4, 2012.

1. riukas

riukas Pen Pal - Newbie

I've returned those Corsair modules, they were also defective. Now I've put in 2x4GB of Kingston memory (khx1600c9s3k2/8gx) - Windows setup loads, and Memtest86+ hasn't found any errors of standard testing for 18 hours (almost 9 passes) + 116 more hours (almost 52 passes).

So most probably the previous memory modules were really defective (and/or probably they were incompatible). And that's twice in a row. I didn't know there are so many defective parts around, even when you choose a known brand. What a gamble.

I'm now going to try installing Win7 x64. Edit: I've installed Win7 x64 and all the relevant (64 bit) drivers from Motion support. Looks like it's working, haven't tested it much though yet.

Please share your experiences, did you install 8GB successfully? Do all the 64 bit Motion Computing drivers and your software work OK under Win7? How long have you used such a system? Did you have any issues while using it? (Motion Computing does not officially support Win7 x64)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

interesting! does it works now?
    I have a j3400 and I wondering if anybody tried with that model

riukas likes this.
  3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Old thread, but thought I'd chime in. Had a single stick 8 GB DDR3 lying around, so I tried it out to see what happens. Windows 8 would get to the loading screen and then everything would shut down. Will try experimenting with different ram combos as soon as I get more sticks.

riukas likes this.
  4. Gmoore6550

Gmoore6550 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is an old post, but I just bought a J3500, with windows 10 64bit 8 gigs works fine

5. Tangier

Tangier Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the necropost, but there are two reasons for it:

1. +1 to Gmoore's post. I recently purchased a J3500 on eBay in the following configuration: 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, Core i5, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) - which leads me into..
    2. As previously stated, this 3500 came with Win10 Pro on it. There are two problems with this, for me: A, I don't like Windows 10. Never have. Didn't even like Win8. B. The seller I purchased it from loaded an un-Activated copy of Win10 Pro on the tablet. The COA in the battery compartment is for an OA version of Windows 7 Pro, the version of which as we all know is 32-bit because for some reason Motion doesn't support 64-bit Win 7. Now, that being said, I do not know whether this was a fresh install of 10 Pro or if this was an upgrade from 7 pro, as I have not tried Activating Windows with the 7 Pro product key.

What I would like to do, ideally, is install a 64-bit version of Win 7 Pro on my 3500, preferably using the product key that is already on the device. Motion is sending me recovery media (since the 3500 didn't come with any when I bought it from a Motion reseller on eBay), but again, the recovery media they're sending me is for 32-bit Win 7 Pro.

Can anyone give me advice on how to go about getting from here to 64-bit Win 7 Pro? It is my understanding that Windows product keys are valid for both 32- and 64-bit versions of the OS (just not both at the same time obviously), so in theory I should be able to somehow load 64-bit Win 7 Pro onto this tablet and activate it with my existing key - assuming, of course, the key wasn't used somewhere else already. But I'm hoping this key isn't in use since the Win 10 Pro on the device now hasn't been activated.