J3500 + 8 Gigs RAM ?

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by 2disbetter, Jan 4, 2012.

1. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Can the J3500 support more than 4 gb RAM? I'm guessing no as the only configuration I can find are max 4 gb. I just wanted to ask.

2d

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I would assume that yes, it does take 8 GB. I think Motion even started offering it out the door.

3. 2disbetter

I just found the answer hidden in some specifications. Motion listed 4gb as the MAX possible in the j3500. I see this as a really easy thing for MC to rememdy. The width of the J3500 would be more than able to house another ram slot.

J3500 Tablet PC - The rugged, all-in-one device that is the ideal productivity tool

I imagine a j3500 refresh is around the corner though (J3600) given that it is still using arrandale chips instead of the current 2nd gen chips in the i series.

Still that keyboard dock than magnetic connects to the back of the tablet is a really cool piece of engineering.

I'm looking forward to the refresh.

2d

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I think that link is incorrect. Many manufacturers actually list incorrect information- normally because they are only discussing what they themselves sell, rather than the actual physical limitations of the device.

For example, here's a link on a blog, where they discuss many users of the j3500 actually buying it from Motion with the 8gb installed. It seems Motion decided to start offering that later on. My guess? Because they up the price on the RAM and make a nice tidy profit on it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. 2disbetter

Interestingly enough every mention I've seen of it having 8gb of RAM have been from Australian domains. Not saying that means anything, just a little curious. I have NOT done a ton of google fu on this to verfiy anything.

Regardless it is a very nice tablet. Wish I would have heard of it before i picked up the x220t. Don't know if it would have changed anything but certainly would have though about it.

2d

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

J3500 = QM57 chipset + 2 ram slots = 8GB should be no problem. The Motion F5 (not F5v, just F5) is said to have a max of '2GB' but the chipset it has supports up to 4GB, and I installed a 2GB stick alongside the built in 1GB so I have 3GB running on a system that has a 'max of 2GB'... similar stories for the Fujitsu T901 which can actually go to 16GB (official of 8GB), and the Lenovo X200t which can go to 8GB (official of 4GB), manufacturers are usually just stupid in putting these supposed limitations as the user can just drop two sticks in for dirt cheap (granted in the case of the C/F5 it is actually a bit hard to get to the ram slot! and I suspect there is a second buried on the other side of the mainboard)... usually going by the chipset will give you the answer to max ram and such

and Steve B if you are reading this, I got the USB dock in for the F5 and will be attempting an Win 7 install, I'll post in the C5 thread later

7. riukas

riukas Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I've just tested 2GB and 4GB sized DIMM modules alone and in various pairs (including 4+4=8GB) with J3500 and I get somewhat mixed/strange/suspicious results so far. I need this machine working now, and I hope to use it seriously with win7 64bit with as much memory as it's possible (I really need memory for my tasks). However I need it to work stable too.

So here are some of the results:

{Single 4 GB DIMM} or {6GB = 2+4 GB DIMMs} are not working with memtest86+. It either reboots soon, or shows some "unexpected interrupt - halting" error, etc.

I've tested 4+4 GB (dual channel):
    1) (Previously installed) Windows 7 32-bit loads and recognizes that 8GB is installed (My Computer-properties).
    2) I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool at the boot:
    * standard test - 132 times, then 64 times, then after replacing DIMMs later again - 68 times - all passed.
    * extended test - 7 times - all passed (it took some time).
    3) memtest86+ v.4.20: shows some black or white characters and reboots - all within a few seconds. I assume this is bad.
    4) Win7 64-bit setup (from DVD) reboots a few seconds after system changes to graphics mode (the black screen with white text "Starting Windows" written at the bottom) during startup. I assume this is bad too.
    5) I have installed Win7 64-bit with 2+2 GB, then switched back to 4+4 GB. Win 7 64-bit reboots at the same moment as in (4), i.e. a few seconds after system changes to graphics mode (the black screen with white text "Starting Windows" written at the bottom) during startup. Choosing "Launch startup repair" mode gives the same result - it just reboots a few seconds after "Windows is loading files" progress bar is filled. Sadly, this looks bad too.

I've also tested putting in a single 4 GB DIMM (either one from a 2x4GB pack):
    - win7 x32/x64 - reboots at "Starting Windows"
    - win7 x32/x64 pressing F8 (safe mode) - reboots after listing classpnp.sys
    - win7 x32 launch startup repair - stops for a minute after filling "Windows is loading files". Then BSOD [irql_not_less_or_equal, stop (hex) a, 0, 2, 1, ...]
    - win7 x64 launch startup repair - stops for a minute after filling "Windows is loading files". Then BSOD [e.g. bad_pool_header, stop (hex) 19, 3, ...; or another time - stop (hex) c5, 8, 2, 0, ...]
    memtest86+: restarts within a few seconds.
    :(

All tests (including memtest86+) are working ok with {single 2GB stick} or {2+2GB sticks (dual channel)}. I have tried quite many DIMM/slot combinations with at least one 4GB stick included and all of them fail at least with memtest86+.

Could you guys who have tried more than 4GB on J3500 please share how's your memory working on it? How long have you used it, with what applications? Is it really stable?

I'm still testing, and I hope I will edit-update this post when I'll have more results.

P.S. Yes I saw some sellers with J3500s (and one person who has a history of dozen self-refurbished J3500s sold) with 8GB installed - all on Ebay over the past year. There is no evidence anywhere on internet that J3500 works with 8GB reliably though.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. riukas

riukas Pen Pal - Newbie

I have returned my 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair RAM to the seller/manufacturer and - surprise - it was really bad (defective). So now I have a new pair of sticks. However I doubt if it's worth unpacking it and putting it in my J3500.

Could you guys please post here did you have any compatibility problems with 8GB ish sized* RAM on J3500? Or was it working all OK?

*I mean 2x4GB. Motion support said they do not support 2x4=8GB officially on J3500.

Looking forward to your replies!..

9. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd be more than willing to participate in this experiment if someone can guide me on how to access the RAM on the J3500. In my initial attempt to disassemble the bezel, I got stuck around the keyboard connector.

10. riukas

riukas Pen Pal - Newbie

I first just used a credit card around all edges to make some gap.
    And afterwards I used a little more force (around the keyboard connector) to remove the lower edge of the bezel: I tried to make a gap between screen edge with "Motion" logo and the bezel first. Yes it was indeed a little scary. :)

I have just put my RMA'ed 2x4GB in it, and again I see memtest86 with black symbols within a few seconds, and then PC auto-reboots (same in memtest F1 safe mode). :( So tired and sad.
    A previously installed Win7 32bit boots up and recognizes 8GB installed though.
    A standard windows 7 memory test passed (I've run a test just 1 time yet).
    Trying to run Win7 x64 bit setup DVD disk just reboots at the same point - a few seconds after system changes to graphics mode (the black screen with white text "Starting Windows" written at the bottom).

I haven't tried putting in separate sticks one by one yet, but I feel it's gonna be the same...

Edit: I feel like I'll just stick to 4GB config... (sadly Windows 32-bit sees only 2.93GB for me then; and I really need RAM for my programs, I really need like 8-16GB minimum; BTW, J3600 is already here since Jan 2013, with max 16GB RAM supported, but it's super-expensive since it's a new model...).

Thanks for your reply, and please tell me how it goes for you.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013