J series disassembly

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by nyb72, Sep 14, 2012.

1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone taken apart a J3400 or J3500? Is upgrading ram or the hard drive a straightforward process?

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a J3500 with my old job. Took it apart to upgrade the Ram. From what I remember it was pretty nerve wracking but pretty straightforward. You have to take the unit completely apart (front and back covers have to come off). A spudger is a must, or a plastic guitar pick. Not much info out there. From what I remember, everything was there to add a camera. There was a piece of tape over the lens from the inside, but the connector was still there. You'd just have to buy the camera module from Motion. Never added the camera, but thought it would be a nice addition since we didn't order it with a camera from Motion.

3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the reply!

On my initial attempt to disassemble the J3500, I almost got the front cover off, but got stuck around the keyboard dock connector. It felt like I was going to break something if I had forced it. Any tips at that point?

4. g rad

g rad Pen Pal - Newbie

This is my 4th. and last attempt to reply to this thread.! I bought a used J3500 digitized gorilla glass about a year ago off ebay... Intended for daylight use on tank bag for Open Street Map with GPS.. (still sorting that out).. Bubbles formed along outer perimeter of screen along top and one side... Intended to replace myself,, but factory told me PO took out 3 year extended warranty...! Great.. Just got it back and all looks fine except I don't remember the 1/4 in black strip around the perimeter of screen (maybe better sealed)... Only disappointment is the lousy 3 mega pixel camera on this expensive tablet,, waiting for a update on that.... will try (again) to upload photo..no luck, jpg is invalid..? from iphone..... g rad