I've read many M4 threads, but here's another one...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VT_Nerd, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daring

Daring Moderator

The reason the MS doesn't sell tablet and media center editions may stem from another source too. It may be that they send a barebones tablet os to the hardware manufacturers and they customize it. Although I have never tested it is possible that without these customized additions to the OS certain core features may not perform well or at all. This is definately true with the Windows CE. You can't take a Dell OS upgrade and put it on your iPaq, in spite of the fact they use the same basic hardware.

The other possibility that occurs to me is MS may be trying to increase the OS stability in certain vertical markets. The benefit companies like Apple have is they supply both the OS and hardware. By shipping basically closed boxes they increase the liklihood they will not have hardware issues.

2. VT_Nerd

VT_Nerd Pen Pal - Newbie

Computer arrived a little bit ago..I'm in the process of cleaning it up and installing stuff. I like what I see though.

EDIT: In the pen box was a little silver ring and some short skinny black cylinders (maybe 3/4" long). Does anyone know what this stuff is for? For the short black cylinders I'm thinking replacement pen cartridges or something but I have no clue about the silver ring.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With Vista there will be a Tablet version, so you can install a fresh OS. You can actually buy XP Tablet from a few sources now, though it's not widely available at all.

4. Daring

Daring Moderator

The little black cylinders are replacement stylus tips. The silver ring thing generally has a little notch in it, you place that over the tip of the stylus that you want to remove and pull out the old tip and replace it with a new.

Some people must be REALLY hard on this stuff. HP sent probably 8 with my tablet. Granted I've only had the tablet for about 5 months, but the tip shows no wear. Even if I had to replace it every 6 months I have enough tips for 4 years.

Glad to hear your tablet arrived. Let us know about your adventures!

5. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I got 5 with my r15. and since I have a screen protector from bstrong I probably will not need a new tip for a very long time

6. VT_Nerd

VT_Nerd Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the clarification on what that stuff is guys. Now that you mention the notch Daring it makes perfect sense what it is to be used for.

I also have 5 poetdante, maybe that's Toshiba's perfect number. The screen protector you have, is that something I need with my computer? I definitely don't want an LCD that's all scratched up just from normal usage.

Brian, I've heard that XP tablet can be purchased through a MSDN account, but I think I saw somewhere that those cost $700 so I'm not going to go that route. I'll just have to use Registry clean up and the Remove Program console in Windows. Maybe when Vista comes out I'll upgrade if I can go to a store and buy it right off the shelf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.