its offical. Asus 8 inch windows tablet with wacom

Discussion in 'Dell' started by bugelrex, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

2. phenglie

phenglie Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like a boxy picture frame. The Dell's bezel is sleeker.

And why are you posting this here?

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm outside the return window for my Dell to, but honestly I'm ok with that. By the time the Asus is released (March-April) I will have had the Dell for 5-6 months. Based on how much I use it and the prices I'm used to paying for tablet PC's, I will definitely have already gotten my $300 dollars worth by that time... Plus I can sell it and get some of the money back.

nyb72 likes this.
  4. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

why post here?

If you want a window's 8 inch and use it for notes (even if just occasionally, as the stylus battery will probably have died) then there is no reason to buy the Dell when you can buy the Asus with Wacom. Same price, same CPU. Why not? If you're in the return window and use note, why torture yourself when a better product at same price is available very soon

So many negatives with the stylus
    - battery drain. Need to keep buying AAAA batteries. Dell quotes 1 year, not in my usage, mine seems to be dying after 3 weeks of use (1hr a day).
    - the accuracy is just adequate but the construction/quality of pen is questionable.

5. dwx

dwx Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it's a relevant topic since it is a direct competitor. I don't think the packaging of the device looks as nice as the Dell, but hard to argue the better pen technology. Do the Wacom styluses use a softer tip as well? Now that I have a working Dell stylus one thing I noticed was how loud the tip is on the tablet when you write with it, I don't know if I could really use it in a meeting full of people...

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. next_milenium

next_milenium Scribbler - Standard Member

You could try a screen protector to soften the sound but it could interfere with screen sensitivity.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Many people viewing this forum are likely potential dell owners. Many of them may be considering it over the competition because they hear its the only one with an active pen. They may not be aware their is one with better pen technology recently announced. Depending on their needs they may appreciate the warning.

8. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

It didn't seem that long ago that for $300 the only tablet PCs you could get were 5-year-old used slates (like a Motion M1400) off of Ebay. I have to remind myself that it is amazing what you can get new nowadays.

dceggert and Mesosphere like this.
  9. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can order a felt nib replacement directly from Wacom. If I recall correctly, its only a few bucks for a 5-pack. I've replaced all my wacom pens with the felt nib. To me, it makes a huge difference in the feel and my handwriting, and quieter as well.

10. jazzman

jazzman Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree, if you can wait for a few months for a good stylus (if that's important to you) wait a few months for the asus to come out. It is basically the same as all the rest of the 8"ers. If you need one today, dell is still pretty much the best, depending how much you need hdmi out (or not). I am not sorry about my dell purchase and have been happily using it for a month. Its a great tablet and what I would say is a great value at 300$.