It's here in Canada

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by CF77, Nov 22, 2008.

1. 1Hz

1Hz Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my flyers for this week.

Best Buy's model will be on sale for 800 bucks (save $200).

Future Shop's tx2524ca will be on sale for 1000 bucks (save $100). Well it didn't say "save $100", but "great deal". Still, the price dropped $100 from its previous price.

Sale starts this Friday (August 22nd); looks like they're the first retailers to start off the back-to-school sales.

2. tontondamerique

tontondamerique Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the info!

As far as I can see, the main differences between the TX2517CA at Staples and the TX2513CL at Costco are "1,90 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-60" (TX2517CA, same as TX2508CA at Bestbuy which at 800$ would be tempting) and "2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70" (TX2513CL), plus the TX2517CA does have Bluetooth and Fingerprint Reader, but the TX2513CL has a longer warranty at Costco. Am I forgetting something here?

Is the TX2513CL processor much better than the TX2517CA (or TX2508CA) processor, will it make a huge difference?

Thanks!

3. adavidso

adavidso Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to add that futureshop has $50 off $500 coupons http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194719 if you could use two of these, you might be able to bring the tx2524 down to $899, but $949 is more likely... the tx2524 IMHO is worth the extra $150 over the bestbuy model at $799 (+bluetooth, 4gigs vs. 3, better proc., vista64).

The staples model is currently on sale for $979 until Sept. 13, but you can take another $20 off to make it $959 with coupon code 95254.

Also worth noting that the RM-70 on the tx 2524 is a 31W design, and the other processors available in Canada are 35W ~10% difference.

Also, the only Canadian models with bluetooth are the ones sold at Staples, FutureShop (tx2524 only) and from hpshopping.ca

Also, tx2524 ships with Vista64, all other CA models are Vista32.

4. tontondamerique

Actually, the FS tx2524 being sold at 1099$, the $50 coupon would bring the price down to $1049, not $949.

Also, a question from a newbie: why have Vista64 instead of Vista32? Does it run faster?

Also, I've read some threads about people having problems running their software on Vista 64. Someone told me that you could change your OS for a 32 bit (while still having a 64 bit CPU) : how can you do that, is it complicated?

One more question : do somebody know if the tx2524 at FS comes with a fingerprint reader?

5. adavidso

Look up about 4 posts, it's going on sale at $999 tomorrow - $50 = $949.

Vista 64 supports over 3 gigs of ram, slower boot time, but slightly faster once booted. You need 64 bit drivers, so not good if you have older peripherals, printers, etc.

Not sure about the finger print reader, tx2517 at staples has one.

6. adavidso

7. tontondamerique

Sorry, you're absolutely right about the price of the tx2524

I'm probably gonna go with the Bestbuy TX2508CA (no bluetooth, no fingerprint reader, not the best CPU, not more than 1 year warranty... BUT $749!)

I haven't received my flyers yet, no price reduction for the Futureshop TX2514CA? (which seems to be the same as the bestbuy model, except it only has 250 instead of 320GO)

8. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the TX2524 from FS and it does not have the fingerprint reader. Luckily I had a $100 dollar off deal (it was a one day thing).

9. 1Hz

1Hz Pen Pal - Newbie

Only the Staples model and tx2510ca will have fingerprint readers for the tx2500 series in Canada.

Sucks that the tx2510ca can only be bought on hp Canada's site AND The Source. However The Source hasn't had any in-store stock ever, and I've been checking for 3 weeks. That and the price of it @ $1,100, doesn't really justify paying more money for less ram and HD space just for 1 fingerprint reader.

10. maroon93

maroon93 Pen Pal - Newbie

I called The Source in my area and asked them when they would be getting shipments for the tx2510ca. The manager told me that they might never get it and believes that it might only be available for sale online.

I actually decided to purchase it online as I didn't want it to go back up to the $1200 price tag or risk it being sold out online while waiting for the price to drop. They have the option of shipping the product out to your closest retail store for free so it's kinda like buying it from the store itself anyways.