Itronix IX325 Disassembly documentation and photos

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by sabianq, Jan 14, 2008.

1. sabianq

sabianq retarded user

Hi all!
    I like your forums here.
    I am a bit new to the whole tablet computer side, although i have been wanting one for several years now, i finally broke down and bid on one on ebay. I won this Itronix Go Book Duo Touch tablet pc. and me being the type of person that likes to take stuff apart and modify it. i was eager to take a screwdriver to it and see what is inside.
    My normal forums ( www.audioforums.com ) that i hang out at is more for audio and computer recording and i doubt that the folks over there would appreciate the information so i am posting the information here.
    I do hope someone finds the information useful.

here is a link to my page detaining the disassembly of the PC.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dhbm7jfj_12d5czgzct

cheers!

2. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

very interesting... whats the performance like, and what kind of OS is on it? It looks like windows because of the program title... It might be a not too shabby UMPC.

3. sabianq

sabianq retarded user

hey, thanks for responding,

the Itronix duo touch uses the Intel® Pentium® M 733 Ultra Low Voltage at 1.1 GHz Processor. there is 1280 MB of ram (256 MB of internal memory soldered on to the MOBO)

here is what the detailed specifications say:
    512MB (PC2700) DDR SDRAM Standard (DDR333)
    Upgradeable up to a Maximum 1280MB (with one 1024MB SODIMM)

with a memory slot nestled above the soldered in memory. this particular PC has a 1024 MB DDR card installed. the specs say that this is the most amount of memory the pc can handle. but the chip set is the Mobile Intel® 915GM and intel says "the 915GM Express chipset supports up to 2 GB of DDR2"

This PC has a 40 GB shock mounted Haitachi 5k400 hard drive and there is room to place a hard drive heater under it which ironically is the same size of another hard drive. I called the manufacturer and they dont know what the second connector is for under the HDD. they suggested i contact the the design team. (although i serously doubt that they will give me any information relating to that.

The hard drive is partitioned so that there is a recovery partition.
    the installed operating system is Microsoft® Windows XP® Tablet PC® Edition 2005 and is not embedded.

you can boot to the bios post screen just by pressing the enter key when it is booting up. another thing to note is that the bios detects any memory storage device that is attached to the PC and they can be configured to be bootable. if you have a multi card reader hooked up the the usb port, the bios shows the card reader as an option for boot sequence.

these computers have shown up on ebay recently as factory reconditioned units selling for about 600 bucks.

my general impression og the Go-book Duo touch after having it and working with it for over a week now is a bit of a "love-not so much like" relationship.

I love the fact that you can switch between the touch screen and the digital wacom pen with a touch of the button. this makes using the digital ink easy and typing is easy by switching to the touch pad option.

the computer is quite powerful. i loaded Adobe Production Suite CS2 with Premiere and Encore. the programs could be faster loading but i think that is a bottle neck in the Hard drive interface, maybe a faster hard drive would help.

but when loaded, there seems to be no problem with working in photoshop on medium sized files (800x600). and premiere seems to zip along well without to much of an issue. until you unplug the computer. the the processor goes into super slow mode and the clock frequency drops to 600 mhz to conserve battery life. but on a side note, i found an application that lets you throttle the processor speed either dynamically or manually depending on the work that is needed for output.

The screen size is quite small with an 800x600 8.4 inch vertical viewable area.
    but the specifications of the PC and the software state that a secondary display through the expansion port supports:

"a maximum of QXGA (2048 x 1536) resolutions up to 100-Hz refresh rate, dependent upon external monitor capability, and resolution and color depth settings"

I have to wonder if the monitor can be reconfigured to take advantage of this secondary display option.

here are the published specifications of this PC.

Display 8.4” Transmissive SVGA Outdoor display with Digitizer Control Panel or optional passive
    touch screen
    Typical Configurations
    Processor Intel® Pentium® M Ultra Low Voltage Processor 733 at 1.1 GHz
    Cache Memory 2 MB L2 Cache
    Memory Standard 512 MB DDR DRAM
    Maximum 1280-MB DDR DRAM
    Integrated Wireless
    Communications
    WWAN GPRS/EDGE or 1xEV-DO, UMTS, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth. (See wireless
    options)
    Hard Drive Shock mounted 2.5” 40GB or 80GB Ruggedized
    Modem 56K Kbps V.92 fax/modem MDC module
    Ethernet 10/100/1000 M bit Ethernet LAN
    Graphics Integrated Intel® Graphics Technology with the 915GM chipset using DVMT 3.0
    Audio Internal microphone and speaker. PCI Audio with AC-97 compliance
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP® Tablet PC® Edition 2005
    Pointing Devices Active Digitizer Touch Screen and Passive touch screen

Wireless Connectivity* Wireless LAN:
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection. Integrated Mini-PCI module with internal diversity antennas. IEEE 802.11g
    (54 Mbps) and 802.11b (11 Mbps) dual mode operation. Security: WEP (64-bit, 128-bit), 802.1x (EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, MD5,
    PEAP, LEAP), TKIP, CKIP, WPA2, AES, 802.11i, EAP-FAST, EAP-SIM. Includes Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection
    software.
    Bluetooth: Integrated Class 2 Bluetooth module with internal antenna. Forward and backward compatible with
    Bluetooth 1.1 and Bluetooth 1.2 devices. Supports Adaptive Frequency Hopping (AFH) for effective coexistence
    with WLAN in same system. Supported profiles include Generic Access, Service Discovery, Serial Port, Dial-Up
    Networking, Fax, LAN Access, Generic Object Exchange, File Transfer, Object Push, Synchronization, Personal
    Area Network, Hard Cable Replacement.
    *Available WLAN/WWAN combinations:
    o WLAN integrated with Bluetooth and/or WWAN with or without GPS available with INTEL WLAN (40
    mW)
    GPRS/EDGE: Integrated Sierra Wireless Aircard 775 network card supporting GPRS/EDGE data connections.
    Quad-band 800/900/1800/1900 MHz for all worldwide GSM frequency bands. EDGE MS Class 12 (up to 4 TX, 4
    RX, 5 total). NDIS network driver interface with Watcher network monitoring software included. Also supports dialup
    networking connections, SMS, circuit-switched GSM, multiple APNs.
    CDMA2000 1X EV-DO/1XRTT: Sierra Wireless Aircard 580 for Verizon Broadband Access 1XEV-DO network.
    High speed data access up to 2.4 Mbps. Automatically falls back to Verizon National Access 1XRTT coverage
    where 1XEV-DO not yet available. VZ Access Manager software included.
    UMTS/GPRS: Option Technology UMTS 3G QUAD, 5-band wireless broadband card combining 3G UMTS at
    2100MHz for EMEA markets with quad-band GPRS for 850/1900 MHz US markets and 900/1800 MHz for
    worldwide markets. Supports IPSpec client software for end-to-end secure corporate data exchange and
    synchronization over VPN.
    GPS: Integrated module with externally mounted antenna. 12-channel, L1 GPS, SiRF Binary and NMEA-0183
    protocol messages.

System Unit Dimensions Length: 10.6” (27.0cm); Width: 7.2” (18.4cm); Depth: 1.65” (4.2cm)
    Weight Minimum Under 3.95lbs/1.80kg
    Stand-Alone Power Requirements Nominal Operating Voltage 19VDC
    Maximum Operating Power 33.4W
    Peak Operating Power 41W
    Temperature Operating -20° to 60°C (-4° to 140°F)
    Non-operating (Storage) -55° to 75°C (-67° to 167°F)
    Boot Temperature -20° with hard drive heater
    0°C without hard drive heater
    Relative Humidity Operating, disk accessing MIL STD 810F, Method 507.4: Humidity cycles between
    30°C@85%RH non-condensing and 60°C@95%RH noncondensing
    for ten 24 hour cycles
    Non-operating 5% to 90% relative humidity, 140° F/75° C maximum wet bulb
    temperature
    Shock (vehicle) Operating SAE J1455, pothole shock; 22G top and bottom, 15G front to back,
    7G side to side, 20 msec durations.
    Shock (drop) Non-operating Drop Testing to Mil Std 810F Method 516.5, Procedure IV Modified -
    twenty-six 3 Foot drops to 2" Plywood over concrete. 2 units to
    pass.
    Vibration Operating ASTM 4169-99 Truck Assurance Level II Schedule E. 90 mins each
    axis. With disk access
    Non-operating Mil Std 810F Method 514.5 Procedure I Category 24 Figure 17 and
    Figure 18.
    Operating 0 to 10,000 ft/3,048 m (14.7 to 10.1 psia)
    Maximum Altitude (unpressurized)
    Non-operating 0 to 30,000 ft/9,144 m (14.7 to 4.4 psia)
    Industry Standard Certifications Safety: Bi-Nat Safety Standard CSA 60950-00/ UL - 60950, 3rd Edition Design
    Manual, Version 3.1, EN 60950
    Emissions Standard: CFR 47 Part 15 Subpart B Class B, ANSI C63.4
    EN 55022
    CISPR 22
    AS/NZS 3548
    ICES 003 Class B
    Immunity Standards: EN55024
    Radio Certifications: FCC Parts 15, 22, 24; Canada: 219, 220; European
    R&TTE ETS 300-328
    Modems: FCC Part 68, Industry Canada CS03, and European TBR 21

Transmissive Display
    Dimensions (H x W) 7.80 x 5.65 in/19.82 x 14.36cm
    Diagonal Size 8.4 in/21.34 cm
    Mounting Internal
    Number of Colors 262,144
    Contrast Ratio 350:1 Typical
    Refresh Rate 40 Hz
    Brightness 300 nit typical (five point average taken without Active Digitizer or Passive touch
    screen)

Backlight CCFL
    Character Display 80 x 25
    Total Power Consumption 4.5 W
    Viewing Angle +/-60° Horizontal, +/-40° Vertical (typical)
    External

3D Features
    �� DX9.0 Pixel Shader
    �� LongHorn UI Support: Avalon
    �� OpenGL 1.4 + Extensions Support
    �� Zone Rendering 2 Support
    �� Shadow and Volumetric Texture Support
    �� 10/10/10/2 Texture Format Support
    �� Pyramid & Gaussian Quad Texture Filtering
    Video Features
    �� VMR9 Support
    �� HWMC for MPEG2
    �� Adaptive Deinterlacing
    �� ProcAmp Color Control
    �� Intel® DVMT 3.0
    �� Intel® Smart 2D Display Technology
    Display Features
    �� Dual Independent Display
    �� 6b LVDS 112MP/s per channel w/panel scaling,
    �� 2 single or 1 dual SDVO
    �� UXGA LVDS, QXGA CRT; full VGA
    Power Management
    �� Intel® DPST - Intel® Display Power Saving Technology
    �� Intel® DFGT - Intel® Dual-Frequency Graphics Technology

the manufacture says that this computer can run up to 4 independant radios at the same time

Bluetooth, (GSM, GPRS/EDGE CDMA 1xEV-DO/1xRTT), GPS and Wifi.

the USB port is 2.0 compliant and supplies up to 5V+/- 5%, 500mA maximum.

4. csirhesus

csirhesus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi sabianq,
    Thanks for sharing the info.
    I plan to get a IX325 for its advertised ruggedness and outdoor readability (DynaVue). However, I am not sure how sensitive is the passive touchscreen (don't care much for the digitizer).
    I would like to know if the IX325 is sensitive to the finger tip. I use touchscreen computers (a toughbook CF-18 and a Fujitsu Stylistic 3500) for outdoor animal behavior data recording. The problem I have is that some (passive) touchscreens are designed to use a fairly sharp pointer to register pressure on the screen (like the Stylistic 3500). Others use less pressure (like the CF-18). The problem is that if high pressure is required I must use a sharp stylus, and I may lose real time data (we time the actions as they occur) when the touch is not recorded. I prefer to record accidental touches rather than lose data.
    So, how sensitive is the IX325 to the finger tip (in passive mode)?
    Second, I understand that the IX325 uses DynaVue technology for sunlight readability (about 300 NIT). The CF-18 does not have such feature, and I have to crank up the brightness to max 450 NIT to see the screen (also in black/white for contrast). The Stylistic 3500 is the R version (outdoor visible, reflective screen). It looks good outside even in color, and has long battery life due to lack of backlight. Have you tested the outdoor visibility on the IX325? How is it in full sun?
    Thanks.

5. sabianq

sabianq retarded user

i have damaged my screen and i have had no luck in finding a direct replacement. :(
    (my son dropped a big rock on the face)

so far a mod may be the only solution

however my touch screen still works and the rgb screen still works
    the piece that broke was the glass in between the touch part and the rgb screen
    i am thinking that it maybe possible to replace the broken glass with a piece of polycarbonate the same thickness.
    if i do the modification, i will post it here
    Cheers~

6. wiktorsam

wiktorsam Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

I bought 3 pcs of itronix duo touch IX325 with broken touch screens, without hard disks and cables for them. They were very cheap - 20 usd each :) but without hdd cable they were useless.
    So i have searched some information about them and found that chipset used in this tablets have support for Serial ATA. But how to connect SATA drive to mainboard ?
    On the PCB there was interesting brown connector (near ATA connector), i checked it with multimeter and bingo :) - this is SATA connector.

So today i constructed a SATA cable, connected SATA drive and everything is working OK. Tablet found new hard disk as ATA HDD and booted from him.

Here is pinout:

1 - GND
    2 - A+
    3 - A-
    4 - GND
    5 - B-
    6 - B+
    7 - GND
    8 - +3.3v
    9 - +3.3v
    10- +3.3v
    11- GND
    12- GND
    13- GND
    14- +5v
    15- +5v
    16- +5v
    17- GND
    18- NC
    19- GND
    20- NC

And some pics ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS - sorry for my english ;)

7. ComputerMedic

ComputerMedic Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings ! I saw your posting on the disassembly, well done ! I also have one of these fine tablets but am in need of a replacement display for it. Other than Itronix, do you know where I may be able to obtain a replacement display for the IX325 ? I'd sincerely appreciate any leads !
    Best regards, ComputerMedic

8. ComputerMedic

ComputerMedic Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings ! I saw your posting on the disassembly, well done ! I also have one of these fine tablets but am in need of a replacement display for it. Other than Itronix, do you know where I may be able to obtain a replacement display for the IX325 ? I'd sincerely appreciate any leads !
    Best regards, ComputerMedic

9. eserv

eserv Pen Pal - Newbie

What did you use for a ribbon cable? Thanks for the suggestion by the way!
    ED

10. MikeyC

MikeyC Pen Pal - Newbie

11. MikeyC

MikeyC Pen Pal - Newbie

The memory slot doesn't support DDR2. I reckon that if you want to try DDR2 memory, you should put in a DDR2 slot.

Memory upgrades: don't buy the insane expensive 1GB DDR 333MHZ PC2700 from Itronix.
    I just bought a cheaper one from the brand Adata (€33,--) and it works perfectly. I reckon any other 1GB SODIMM 333MHZ PC2700 wil do

The battery: i found the following ad from batteryrebuild.com:
    Itronix 23+050400+01R Battery

12. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just ordered myself one of these puppies! It should be here in a few days, I was bouncing around between choosing this or the IX-104 C2 (by Xplore) and while the C2 has a 10.4" screen and is IP67 rated (vs the 8.4" screen and IP54 of the IX325. the IP67 means it can operate in ~1ft of water, while IP54 means it can survive being blasted with water jets, my reasoning explained below); for me the big deciding factor was that the IX325 had a in-built CF reader, a smaller form factor and screen, and a resistive touchscreen in addition to the Wacom pen, plus I could find units that had all the seals on the ports for a reasonable price!

The plan is that this unit will become my photo bag buddy so I just dump my photos from my camera after shooting a bunch, then clear the card for more photos (or even use it tethered to my camera so the photos go directly to the computer, plus the camera can be controlled from it as well); the rugged part comes into play because I do travel a bit and camp out and would love to not have to seal everything (computer especially) in a ziplock baggie or one of my drybags [which is impractical to do when hiking about anyways]. There aren't any really excellent photo back-up units out there anyways, and for the price ($233 w/ S&H) this looks like it may be the ticket, though it likely needs a new battery which I'm not looking forward to getting!

Well, when it comes in I'll play around with it and then I'll take some pictures and post those with a little review (and with any luck I'll do the same with my M1400 now that the semester is all but over!)

13. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Update: well I ordered it on Wednesday, the seller shipped it out mid-day Friday, and it arrived ~9AM Saturday so that was quite fantastic to say the least; onto my impressions:

The unit itself is obviously quite thick and hefty (as expected for a rugged device) and it seems it will have no problems standing up to normal use at all. I got mine with a sort of leather bump case that seems to be really high quality, though thick (it becomes 2" thick exactly; sadly with it on, the screen’s surface is a solid ½ inch recessed from the bump case so it becomes difficult to use the pen or touchscreen at the edges); the screen seems to be plenty bright (in a quick test I did it is exactly as bright as my 2730p at max, it also does quite well outdoors) the resolution is workable but not ideal at 800x600 and the pixel density is perfect, I find the 8.4" 4:3 screen size to be about right for a smaller device but the very limited viewing angles are a letdown to say the least (as with any screen viewing it head on is the best, but beyond that it looks quite awful because of the poor vertical viewing angles -it is better than the M4’s screen is, but not by much; far worse than the M1400 and a lot worse than the 2730p)… After getting it in and spending a few minutes playing with the default XP install on the original HDD (half of which was spent waiting for it to start up, it must have been at least 3 minutes for boot up), I took the IDE to SATA adapter and Crucial M4 SSD and swapped it in (after installing Windows 7 to it from another computer as I couldn’t seem to get the IX325 to boot from a USB DVD drive); at the same time I took the chance to wipe off the old thermal compound and reapply fresh stuff (the paste that was on there before had long ago dried up and no longer seemed to work well at all, so I used ICD7 as its what is around and it seems to do better than the old caked on crud)

I installed Win 7 Ultimate (I use multiple languages for the TIP from time to time), then I installed the chipset drivers and the audio driver I hooked up an ethernet cable and then used device manager and windows update to get the drivers for Wi-Fi, ehternet, modem, and updated drivers for audio and some of the drive management systems. I was then left getting the touch screen working right and after trying the Panjit drivers I found out that some units had touch screens by Semtech (of which my unit had) soon after I found there really aren’t any drivers anywhere for it –but I was able to find this site that has one that works Touch-Base - Download Centre, but it is only a ‘100 click trial’ which after 100 clicks you have to click a on screen OK button and then its good for another 100 clicks; not the greatest, but it works well and is well featured (full version is EXPENSIVE at $200+). Then after that I got the rotate button working by using the ROTATE.zip from here ItronixGoBook : ItronixGoBook and then finding the 'Rotate.exe' and 'screenbox.exe' in the System32 folder then changing their properties so they will be run in XP compatibility mode and run as administrator (I also created a shortcut to the rotate.exe and added it to the start-up folder, then rebooted and it was all working); and for the video driver I downloaded the Vista driver for the Intel 915 meant for the LE1600 on Motion's website and then did the device manager method for installing it

The Wacom pen tracks well except for the edges and the corners (mostly it will track fine there if you angle the pen towards the edge -it looks like the metal housing around the screen interferes with the Wacom digitizer [the bezel around the screen comes right up to the visible screen space]), the touch screen is a whole other animal as I suspected it would be: my unit has a resistive touchscreen unit by Semtech which does pretty well except for the side near the buttons where it has a .5"x1" untouchable zone in the middle where the cursor won't touch the edge, though tracks your finger, normally I find I have to aim a little below my target if I want to hit it precisely using touch, it works mostly well.

Overall the performance seems decent if you tweak things manually -one thing I found is that the processor is often downclocked to 586Mhz (the 6x multiplier) even when it is plugged in and running cool; I have to use RM Clock to force it to run at 1.1Ghz (the 11x multiplier) which keeps things fluid and doesn’t seem to impact how hot it runs much at all. When doing light to medium tasks the temperatures will often be around 45-50C and sometimes it can go up to ~55-56C at most; one interesting thing is it seems the fans will normally run when the temps hit 46-48C or so but only when plugged in (when on battery power the fan doesn’t seem to run at all, but it also doesn’t seem to get much hotter –though it is cold out so that factors into it for now. The fan is annoying though, it doesn’t seem to have a low speed, only a medium and high which makes it loud when it comes on as it is such a tiny fan). I am impressed by the hardware and BIOS the unit has, in the BIOS you can enable ‘stealth mode’ and choose to have the fan off all the time in addition to the indicator LED’s, backlighting, sound and more (all of which are great options to have as you can have it run how you want it to), The hardware buttons are actually hardware encoded buttons and seem to always work no matter what (with the exception of the rotate button, that doesn’t rotate the BIOS screen and it needs a driver in Windows to function)

The build of the thing is very solid, I don’t think there is a mm of flex on the whole unit; everything except for the protective plastic face piece (the sealed metal housing is below it, but it is there so the antennas can be mounted behind it and get a signal) is a solid magnesium alloy that seems very well designed and reinforced, it is also coated in some very thick and tough paint which is supposed to be chemical resistant and very durable (between the metal parts there are glued on silicone gaskets that seem to do fine with keeping dust and water out. The screen’s protective surface is recessed almost a 1/4th inch below a metal bezel and screen itself is under at least 1/4th inch of glass/ layers so there is parallax. The buttons do make a bit of an annoying click sound, but they are solid buttons that also always register so they are good overall (there are also two buttons at the bottom near the HDD compartment, the larger one is a Radios ON/ OFF switch that enables/ disables all wireless radios, the smaller button seems to be a power cut-off switch and it seems to literally cut off power to instantly turn the whole thing off –it needs something tiny like a paperclip, so it won’t accidentally activate).

Beyond that the only issues I've encountered was one missing case screw (which I just replaced with what seems to be the exact same type screw that I took from my 2730p a while back -a screw holding down the modem I think), and it came with a 16V 'replacement' power brick (back of the ix325 says 20V, so I have been using the Rocketfish 40W adapter that seems to work fine), also the battery I got it with originally was truly dead; so I bought another battery and it has been working fine so far(I bought it from a ebay seller for about $170 as it was available and would get to me soon. I have been getting 2.5hrs of low to moderate use out of it at full brightness so it seems to be a good condition battery if not a bit expensive); and the darned compact flash reader seems to be on the PCMCIA bus so it is basically a PC card to compact flash card adapter (which like those will use a lot of CPU power to use and read a storage card, which translates to very slow performance, a decent USB adapter is easily 20-30x faster at 20-30MB/s compared to the built in slot's 1-2MB/s... so it may be fine for a CF GPS unit, but a CF memory card is only a last minute emergency situation thing)

Well, there's a wall of text! I'll post some pics and screenshots a little later

14. MikeyC

MikeyC Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem, i have it in the middle on the right side.
    I noticed that calibrating in windows doesn't help much. Try calibrating in the BIOS (digitizer calibration in the main menu), that helped me calibrate the digitizer much better, hope it helps.

Which BIOS do you run? I am running version 02.53
    I can't find anything on the fan. My fan actually won't run.
    I already changed the fan, but it still doesn't run. I suspect it has to do with the BIOS.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  15. ON5AVM

ON5AVM Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    Can you tell me how you can set the brightness on the Itronix IX325 with the touch buttons,my touchscreen is almost dark.
    Gr,
    Johan
    Belgium

16. MikeyC

MikeyC Pen Pal - Newbie

You should be able to change this in the control panel, in the settings from the Intel GMA Driver for Mobile.
    Johan, do you know of any battery refilling stations in Belgium which are able to refill the IX325 battery ?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  17. ON5AVM

ON5AVM Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the late answer.
    There are refilling stations in Belgium but mostly for dealers,not for particular.But you can order li-ion battery in poland by the company TME poland.They have the reffiling battery,s for the itronix.if there on stock.