It is time for Microsoft to let go of Ntrig

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by siddhartth, Jun 4, 2019.

?

Do you wish Surface pro had Apple Pencil technology and ipadpro refresh rate?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Much love for my SM-P205. I'm glad I skipped the IPM 5. (Apologies,I know this doesn't contribute anything meaningful to the discussion).

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Phrasing! So what time zone is Kuma in again? I kind of expected a visit :D

(for those relatively new here, Kuma is probably the least prudish / most NSFW forum member on TCPR)

Tams, Bronsky and lovelaptops like this.
  3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Japan, I believe. But it's morning here now and the weekend, so Kuma might be a while. That or getting an 'upgrade' ;) if the last post I read by her was anything to go by.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I actually a few nights ago got a chance to play with a brand new iPad Pro with a satin screen protector.

It was remarkable! What a great technology. Apple done good.

But... (you knew there would be a 'but'), what good does that do me? I like my pen button, my Windows OS and all my tons of Windows software. And my Samsung 15" 2-in-1 is over two years old now, and, gosh durn it, there is no Apple-approved hamster wheel upgrade nonsense in sight. Wouldn't trade for money. Unless it was enough to buy another N9P.

5. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

upload_2019-9-20_21-19-30.jpeg

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

i'm only interested in MS going back to EMR, preferably the Samsung version of EMR...like the s-pens

7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't agree with Apple pencil "increasing the gap".

I ditched the iPad mini 5 because of what I think are significant cons. I bought the Elecom screen, which dulled the display, and I still thought it was slippery. The tapping... tap tap tap... constantly made me self conscious in meeting rooms. The pencil itself was terrible... top heavy, and that nib made me think of a crayon. Two months of that was way too much.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Bishop likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Nonsense, @nnthemperor. Your experience is germain to the dilemma lots of us face: are the flaws in the Pencil v1 serious enough to make an Android tablet with grossly inferior technology - and truly overpriced - the better choice for those who need a digital notebook to use daily, often in quiet meeting rooms and due to other ergonomic flaws in the pencil's design? Fwiw, we're it not for your post, and those like that of @nyb72, I would just assume that a mini5/Pencil1 was the obvious choice and only a luddite would choose otherwise.

My present analogy for the Mini5/Pencil is to a car with the power of a Porsche priced like a Prius, but which gives me fatigue after 20 mins of driving, makes so much noise it's embarrassing to pull up anywhere with it running, and which has an oversized, heavy key fob that defies secure storage and has to be plugged in, sticking out of the gas tank every few hours lest it's battery die and it prevents using the car as intended! (OK, a bit tortured and long-winded, but say it ain't so!)

Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Confession: I handed down my iPad Mini 4 to one of my kids for media consumption, and got one of the Mini 5s when it came out - and I bought the Logitech Crayon. Solves the length and clickety clack problem of the gen 1 pencil. Charging and pairing is annoying though. Inking is acceptable.

I said this once before: I need to come up with a digital equivalent of a POIC (Pile Of Index Cards) system using OneNote or Evernote (and/or Microsoft To Do). If I could stay faithful to such a system, I'd consider going to the smallest iPhone I could get, carry the Mini 5 and Logitech Crayon (& MS foldable Bluetooth keyboard) as my only mobile gear.

nyb72 and nnthemperor like this.