It is time for Microsoft to let go of Ntrig

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by siddhartth, Jun 4, 2019.

?

Do you wish Surface pro had Apple Pencil technology and ipadpro refresh rate?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

EDIT: May as well make this accurate: As of 9-19-2019 there is no aftermarket replacement nib that is softer/quieter and why would Apple even consider making one - they are still operating under the Jobsian (RIP) philosophy of market research: consumers don't know what they want, so don't even ask; we know what they want: what we give them.

Why xtra edgy today? I finally got my Pencil fixed so it doesn't drain in 30 mins (don't ask: unique to my weird setup), so I really want to make my Mini5 my main "notebook" - but the noise is, for me, intolerable. I'd rather use my Samsung Note 4 than this for portable note taking. Many places you just can't use it - rude and distracting. Someone posted that they're primarily preserving their iPad as a media player only. Probably a wise move. Anyone want to buy my Mini (got plenty of beautiful screens for media)? Seriously, haven't decided to ditch it yet. Guess I'm going to try a screen film - how elegant!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That was the fear i had too. But that was not the case at all, try the one by Elecom, it's japanese. It was not delivering in India, so, i bought a chinese one Eikiliv or something like that, and the pencil experience got a 100 times better. I still use my iPad for media consumption. But at higher settings like 480p and 720p, you do not even see the difference. Just don't try the cheap ones, they will make younwant to tear them off as soon as you install them.

3. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Admittedly, I'm not an engineer (though I am occasionally accused of playing one at work). But it seems to me that a thin latex like sheath for the Apple pencil might meet the need and leave the screen view intact.

<off to look for a long skinny balloon>

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Oh man, what an opening :vbtongue:. Nope, not gonna do it, I'll be punished somehow if I do (please, @dstrauss , do the honors!)

As much as I always enjoy your creative graphics, @Bishop , this post really gets my attention. Since I don't play an engineer (only a lawyer without credentials - equally despised, but at lower hourly rates!) I'm looking forward to your success story - and directions!

Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That's what he said

Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I ain't touching that one with a 10' pole...nope, not me...

thatcomicsguy and nnthemperor like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

None of the above: I wish Microsoft had Wacom EMR digital stylus technology.

Period. End of story.

As for this poll and its unrealistic choices, bear in mind that Apple will not in a million years license their proprietary technology to their chiefest competitor and Microsoft will not admit defeat by licensing that competitor's technology unless under the most dire of circumstances.

If Microsoft refused EMR, I would hope they would use AES (Maybe Microsoft should just buy up Wacom? ;) ) It may still have some issues with jitter. However, at least it has less jitter and draws smoother. It is a case of the lesser of the two evils. Ultimately, though, my true wish--my desert island tablet, so to speak--would have EMR in its quiver of must-have features.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok I'm going to wade in here because it's late in the day I'm tired and...why not.

However I read awhile back on I think Mac Rumors a thread where someone had the same issue and had some success (to the point that their objection went away) with using a very small amount of the same wax they use on surfboards.

So let the waxing your pencil jokes commence...………..

EDIT: maybe not mac rumors as a quick check didn't find anything

siddhartth likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Maybe something from your subconscious? Anyway, one of these should work (he said resisting the obvious cheep jokes).

[​IMG]

desertlap likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So continuing down the rabbit hole...or in to the gutter depending on your point of view, but my wife just remined me that one of the most popular surf board wax products is called "Sex Wax"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sex-Wax-...=sem&msclkid=09df893decd71973a2ded4b9e8a60568

Bronsky likes this.