It is time for Microsoft to let go of Ntrig

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by siddhartth, Jun 4, 2019.

?

Do you wish Surface pro had Apple Pencil technology and ipadpro refresh rate?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While it's unfair to compare any pen hardware to Wacom Cintiq proEMR line up, i think it's reasonable to compare Ntrig - Surface experience with Pencil - iPad pro experience, as both are non EMR technologies. Pencil despite being newer and only in 2 generations old has not only maintained a lead, but has successfully increased the gap, despite improvements made on the Ntrig side.

I don't need Microsoft to make pen experience as good as Wacom but they atleast need to achieve features parity with Apple, with or without Ntrig.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    COGBABY, bloodycape, Steve S and 3 others like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Admirable goal - won't happen (I think it is even less likely than getting mouse support in iPadOS - oops, it is hidden in there). Seriously, with all the MS comments about extremely low usage rates, and that being the "cover" for making the Surface Pen an extra cost option, leads me to believe they'll keep pumping out whatever the buying public will live with.

3. siddhartth

I don't think the buying public will continue to buy the Surface products, when cheaper and superior ipads ipad minis, ipad airs will flood the markets.

That hinge can only take Surface line so far. the real reason behind low surface pen usage is that, all those prosumers who really cared about a good pen experience, already ended up buying either Samsung galaxy book or an iPad Pro after that bad experience with Surface pro 4. So, the demographic that actually buys the newer surface products, is more of a keyboard ninja, than a stylus samurai. Nobody is currently buying a surface product out of need but because of hype, just to stand out as a status symbol.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hard to pick an answer since I’ve only tried the first gen pencil. I really don’t like the tippety tappety feel of Apple’s first pen.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. siddhartth

2nd gen is much less noisy and slightly less slippery. But slippery enough to need a textured screen protector. But Pencil's handwriting performance is consistent enough to make me actually wanna use it , while my Surface pro 4 and Surface pen gathers dust in a drawer.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  6. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually enjoy taking notes on my SP6 much more than my iPP (first ten pencil). Feels much more comfortable and like I have a lot more control.

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. siddhartth

Did you try any textured screen protectors yet on your iPP?

8. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

No, not yet. I’ve thought about it, but as I primarily use my iPP for media consumption, I didn’t want to ruin its honestly quite stellar screen.

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So obvious, but I have to ask? Why do you (all) think Apple refuses to offer interchangeable nibs for the Pencil? They have to know people don't like the clackety experience of their pencil on glass, and they're not exactly known for welcoming that people buy "unauthorized" accessories like matte screen protectors, which also ruin the image quality of the screen. If your answer is: "Apple never does things because consumers might value the choices; they only do it the way they want to, and refuse to change - until they do," you needn't respond!

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does the pencil even have nibs? I freaking hate the tips on it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

lovelaptops likes this.