It finally happened

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by poetdante, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My 3yr old R15 broke. The screen is about to loose it's casing. Just around midterms. I need a new tablet. Since no 14.1" screens are available, I'll go with 12.1 if it's a slate. What slate tablets besides Motion are available?

1. What is your budget? I would like to keep it under $2000 but that may be hard with a slate. I only know of Fujitsu and Motion that have slates.

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Slates

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    12.1" or more

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    U.S.

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Toshiba or some Japanese company.

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    about 3.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    OneNote, Office, Firefox.

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Office, OneNote, IE. FireFox, nothing serious.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    Nope.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Is there even a choice anymore? I'd go with widescreen.

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    Doesn't matter.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    Would be nice, but not necessary.

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    Wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    I need an 80gb hard drive or more. Is it possible with a slate? RAM wise I guess 1GB or more

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    I rarely used mine so far so no.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Would be nice, but I mangaged to live on just one battery so far.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Something durable. It can be tough being a student

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hey poetdante, welcome back -- long time no see! :D

The only 14.1" Tablet PC that is currently available is the Gateway C-141 series, however that's a convertible...on to the slates:

And, yes, generally slate Tablet PCs are more expensive than convertible Tablet PCs, so it will be difficult. In addition, most (current) slates have at least a 40GB hard drive, but it is possible to go beyond 80GB. These are the slates that I can think of so far:

- Motion Computing LE1600 (discontinued ~ available from eBay, or other online stores that have them in stock)
    - Motion Computing LE1700 (12.1" SXGA+) ~ $1,799+ direct from Motion Computing (from Dell.com: $1,509+ with a Intel Core Solo -- no Core Duos)
    - Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111 (10.4" XGA) or ST5112 (12.1" XGA) ~ $1,999+
    - TabletKiosk Sahara i440D (12.1" XGA, has active and passive digitizers) ~ $2,295+
    - Electrovaya Scribbler 4000 (12.1" WXGA) ~ $2049+

On a related note (although you state you want Windows):

- Axiotron ModBook (modded Apple MacBook turned slate with Mac OSX) ~ $2,279+

None of the slates above have a modular bay, but I do know that the LE1600/LE1700 has a battery slice that can be attached on to the unit where there is a recessed area. Most of the other Tablet PCs have high-capacity battery options which will add to the overall width of the system itself.

3. poetdante

Thanks. It's good to be back. I didn't know about the gateway. See, I want a slate because the size to thickness ratio just doesn't work for me with 12.1 tablets. I don't know about Gateway, die hard Japanese company guy and all, but I'll look into it. The $2300 Motion doesn't look afordable and I don't know much about the company quality wise. I'm a student so I need the thing to last. Though a thin slate would be nice to use instead of a convertible. Thanks for helping me out.

4. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

I personally love my ST5020D, but I got tired of going between my Laptop and my slate, so I purchased a T4220. I, too, was worried about the thickness after going from a slate, but to tell you the truth, it really isn't so bad. I propped my slate up with a book so I could write at an angle while taking notes. I do the same with my convertible, and I can honestly say, the thickness hasn't bothered me as I thought it would.

Now my slate just sits in my case :(, it is still a great computer and I would like to find a use for it especially since I just upgraded the hard drive. As far as slates go, I really like the Fujitsu because in portrait mode you get a wrist rest out of the deal and excellent quality. Other than that I would recommend the motion. Both companies produce quality slates and I personally like to buy for quality.

When going from my slate to the T4220, I did not feel like I lost screen real estate whatsever. If I were you, I may want to reconsider a 12.1 inch convertible. You may find it not to be as you expect.

-Sass

5. KingArthur10

KingArthur10 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Gateway C-140XL and can say I'm impressed for the price. I've been wary of Gateway, but the price coupled with the free 3yr warranty they threw in for me was just too good to pass up. It's a bigger laptop, but I love the screen realestate for class notes. I'm a math major and typing just doesn't work for notes, but with handwriting, it's great. Also, the Gateway came with Microsoft OneNote which is a dream for organizing my notes.

6. poetdante

Ditto on the Math major here. My dad has an IBM at work. I'll take a look at it and see how it works out. Still, fantasies of walking around with a futuristic slate like in StarTrek would be nice. Maybe I'll go with a fujitsu or toshiba.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.