Issues with X61 and Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by DJ Garcia, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PFlynn

PFlynn Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

We recently bought my daughter an X61 for use in school -- her school requires all students to have a tablet PC. We bought the X61 with the SXGA+ screen. Her school has not yet made the move to Windows XP, so the IT organization at school reinstalled the operating system with XP. Our daughter has been having two problems so far:

- The WiFi is not recognized as existing. Bluetooth and wired Ethernet work fine.

- The stylus is unusable: When the stylus gets close enough to the screen (about half an inch or so), the cursor races to the top or bottom of the screen.

The IT group at her school has been trying to fix this, with no luck so far. Some, but apparently not all, of the new X61s at her school have been exhibiting this problem.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or success with an X61 and Windows XP?

Thanks!

2. Maria_Andretti

Maria_Andretti Pen Pal - Newbie

Did they install XP Tablet? That sounds rather messed up.

I would definitely make sure all of the XP Service Packs are added. If that's all done, you could try going to the Wacom site and downloading the latest drivers for the pen.

3. PFlynn

PFlynn Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, yes, it's the Tablet PC Edition of Windows XP that they've installed.

4. GerTab

GerTab Pen Pal - Newbie

Howdy,
    did a clean install of XP TabletPC as well. Got most drivers from the Lenovo site. For the pen driver check out the Wacom site. The only issue which did not work out (hopefully yet) is enabling both touch and pen. In Vista the touch stops if the the pen comes close to the screen. In XP it doesn't so I had to disable touch in device manager.
    Best regards

5. DJ Garcia

DJ Garcia Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using the factory XP install (with bloatware removed) on my SXGA+ X61t with no problems - works great.

6. jan_janssen

jan_janssen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with the stylus - after many hours I did find the solution in another Thread on this site:

Sorry to double-post, but I fixed the problem with the touch-screen working at the same time as the pen in XP Tablet(I didn't know if just editing my post would bump it so others could see how to fix it). Here's what I did:

Uninstall your old drivers, and reboot. Download the VISTA driver found here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67220 and install it. It'll ask you a couple times if you really want to install a driver, because it's not digitally signed -- click "continue" both times. After it tells you it's done, reboot, and it should work fine! I was a bit leary of installing Vista drivers on XP Tablet 2005, but it's working great for me! Hope this helps others,
    Warner​

I actually even didn't uninstall the drivers but it works great.

7. DJ Garcia

DJ Garcia Pen Pal - Newbie

Make sure they install the Lenovo drivers. Plain Vanilla XP Tablet Edition will not do it. They have a "Downgrade to XP" article and downloads in the Lenovo Customer Support web section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.