Issues I have with the new T902

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by snowdensity, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

2. monkey13

monkey13 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you jan_c, that did it!!
    Strange enough Fujitsu's deskupdate didn't find the update by itself. It doesn't seem to be very reliable...

I have another issue: the Battery utility is not working as it should. I set the batteries to 80% charge and parallel discharge mode and none of that happens. Both batteries are charged to 100% and are discharged one by one, the modular bay battery first. Is there any setting I should change somewhere? I made the changes in the Battery utility itself and it shows them as such, but to no avail. Anyone have experience with this?

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I haven't tried those settings, so I don't know. I do know that occasionally for whatever reason windows will say 'not charging'. Even though its charged.
    Don't know if that's related or not.

You could try the freeware BatteryCare as well. It may override it.

4. monkey13

Thanks, stoneseeker! Will try Battery care. I'll also try different power settings to get more juice out of the two batteries, but that won't be easy as it is an i7-3540, they have it perfectly configured on offer in Germany. I didn't change anything in the W8 installation, but I checked that all drivers and system extension software is installed.
    The Battery information tool reports 80% charge mode, but no change, the tool itself reports batteries charged at 100%. Windows says also 100% and charges every time the batteries get emptied a bit.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm just wondering - and this is merely conjecture cause I have never used the battery utility -- (I'd rather just run them to the ground and buy new ones when I need 'em) but is it possible that the Battery information tool is accurate, and that your batteries are actually only charging to 80%, but that since it tells Windows that 80% is the "new" 100%, windows simply reports 100% when it fills to its new allocated capacity? Just a shot in the dark... Windows is known to have problems reporting battery charge accurately. BatteryCare can confirm this for you though, as it will tell you all kinds of info on it that you otherwise wouldn't find.

6. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

In my T732, when I set the charge level to 80%, it only charges up to 80%; WIndows is aware that it is not filling the battery. It only begins charging when the capacity drops to 70%. Likewise, when I had it set to 100% charge, I think it only started charging the battery when charge dropped to 80%. I think this is to increase the life of the battery (not battery life itself)

7. monkey13

Thanks stoneseeker, I checked with BatteryCare and it was also 100%.
    BUT I think I found out how it works: I took out the batteries for a few seconds and put them back, all while the Battery utility set to 80%. Now the second battery is at 91% and not charging. This maybe means you have to disconnect the batteries after you change the charge setting with the utility. Some reinitialization perhaps.
    I'll test it to its full extent when I have the opportunity, now I work mostly plugged in.
    @utopian201: Yes, the option to charge the batteries to only 80% charge is meant to prolong the life of the battery cells, up to 1,5 times, as I found out somewhere on the Japanese Fujitsu T902 site via Google translate. In Germany the modular bay battery is actually more expensive than the main battery and they are both more expensive here than in the US, with the same warranty...

8. darkphantom

darkphantom Scribbler - Standard Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.