Is Your Tablet PC Safe? MySpace.com Banner Ad Infects One Million Computers!

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In today's day and age we know that three things are certain. Those would be death, taxes and of course data loss. While the first two are certainly unavoidable, there are in fact ways to significantly decrease your chances of dealing with the third issue.

[​IMG]
    Okay - It's not quite this bad, but it can sure feel like it when it happens to you!

A leading cause of data loss is known to be a result of computer viruses, trojans, spywareand other forms of malicious code. Most Windows users are very much aware of the risks and use some form of antivirus software. Many users also take steps to protect their computers from spywareby installing and updatingappropriate software for that threat as well. But what about getting "hit" by a lousy banner ad? We see these on the majority of websites we visit these days. How often might you worry about a banner ad throwing your Tablet PC for a whammy?

Over one million visitors to the infamous MySpace.com have experienced first hand the consequences of using Internet Explorer (sans recommended updates)on their Windows XP-based computers. Although this particular attack did not cause direct data loss to theaffecteduser's hard drives, it did in fact create an impossible delivery of pop-up ads, infringe on privacy by tracking internet usage of infected machines andsilently installeda nice batch of spyware and malware as the topping on the sundae.

But what about users who were "fully protected" with updated commercial anti-virus software? According to AV-test.org, only about 50% of those trusted anti-virus titles recognized the threat of this particular Trojan. For thoseusers who were in the lower 50th percentile, a silient installation of the tainted software and a confirmation of"infection"with a server over in Russia was the result!

How did one million users miss?

Well way back on January 5th, Microsoft made its Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919) available to all legal users of Windows XP. This "WMF patch" fixed the security vulnerability that allowed this meaningless threat to ruin the day for one million Windows users.

Microsoft's explanation for the patch is as follows: "A remote code execution security issue has been identified in the Graphics Rendering Engine that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer."

So are you at risk? Is your Tablet PC next? To be sure that your Tablet PC is protected from these useless attacks that compromise your privacy and data, simply take these steps:

1. Install a reputable anti-virus/anti-spywaresoftware title such as Norton Antivirus(Internet Security), Trend Micro PC-cillan or ca Product Solutions (used by Microsoft internally).

2. Be sure to visit the Windows Update website. Follow the easy instructions to download, install and configure current and future updates for your Tablet PC.

We think its worth it to take a few minutes and spend a few dollars each year to keep your Tablet PC data and personal privacy secure. Next time you visit MySpace.com, lets hope your hard drive and its acess continues to remain "your space" too!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the past couple of years I have been using eset's NOD32 virus checker.
    It is the only VC out that openly advertises itself as being 'the only VC that has not missed a single attack in the past six years'.
    Not only that, it's very gentle on the system as well and doesn't bog it down like some (Norton Virus ..ohh the pain).

No.... I was that impressed with NOD32 I went out and bought a multi-licence and installed it on all my computers.
    Never looked back since........ :)

3. bgstewar

bgstewar Pen Pal - Newbie

I can say the same about PC-Cillin Internet Security...phenominally better than Norton...

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed. Norton is a real resource hog. I personally favor PC-Cillan. I will have to check out the NOD 32. Mike never seems to miss a beat in the technology arena!

5. subq

subq Pen Pal - Newbie

nod32 is an awesome product

we are mostly replacing the "yellow box" with nod32 at schools and other large organizations but if anyone is interested I could probably offer some sort of discount to forum members

send me a PM

6. {NOC}MONK

{NOC}MONK Pen Pal - Newbie

How would you all rate AVG against PC-cillin. I have had both but last time PC-cillin cane up for registration I switched to the free AVG.

7. subq

subq Pen Pal - Newbie

AVG is pretty good for a free AV program, it isn't going to compare to the top rated commercial programs though so don't expect it to perform awesome or to catch everything, but again, if you are just looking for something that is free AVG should fit the bill just fine

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If there was any occasion when the word FREE should not be taken and used in the same content it would be when applying with a VC.

Sorry but what is the point in running a free security program (probably the most important piece of software you should have) when it is flawed.....

Whilst I understand that AVG is pretty good, but by the fact it could and most likely miss an attack renders it useless.

There's not much use in having something that operates say 90% safe when if you get hit in that 10% you may not have bothered at all.

Again, that's why I use NOD32 on all and my families machines.

9. subq

subq Pen Pal - Newbie

p8rson, agreed, but he asked :)

AVG isn't bad for a free program but it doesn't really "rate" compared to nod32 and 2 other top rated AV programs

10. {NOC}MONK

{NOC}MONK Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks subq,

That is my real question. I am starting to back up all of my drives so that I can do easy clean installs if problems do arise, but I just wanted to know if it works well or if it is crap. If it is a crap AV I wouldn't use it, but if it works well, but just isn't the best thing around I would still use it rather than paying a lot for an retail AV.

If I might add a second question here...
    I was wondering what kind of combos of AV/Adware/Spyware/Trojan software people are using sucessfully these days.

For several years now I have used a
    Norton / Lavasoft-Ad-Aware / Spybot S & D combo

But I am sure that there are better things out now.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.