Is XT2 worth twice as much as XT?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by GandhiM, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking at used/refurbished models.

On ebay You can get a decent looking XT for ~$400. The cheapest XT2 I've found is ~$800 at dell outlet. (btw, why does dell outlet sell the XT and XT2 for the same price? Why would you choose the XT over the XT2 if they cost the same?)

I'm currently using a gateway C140XL, but am looking for a smaller, lighter form factor. I remember drooling over the XT when I was first looking for this, 3 years ago, but it was obviously out of my price range then.

My main uses are as a travel computer - e-mail and internet, and to run my media on my projector (through VGA port). Nothing terribly intensive.

So what's the advantage of the XT2 over the XT. Is the extra cost justified based on my use?

I know don't really need a tablet for this. I got one primarily for school note taking, but the interface is 10x better than using a touchpad, or carrying a mouse.

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would recommend staying far away from the Dell Tablet PC's (they are really not good at all) the N-trig digitizer is rather bad, the whole system feels really slow, and it doesn't feel well made at all (I used them when I was "training" some former teachers of mine on how to use Tablet PC's, and the XT2 was terrible)

I would also recommend looking at the HP Elitebook 2730p on ebay (around $500 more basic - $700 fully spec'd out), it is a business class Tablet PC; and a good one at that

3. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll check the elitebook out, thanks.

To be honest, N-Trig vs. Wacom doesn't really bother me much, as the majority of my pen use is as a mouse replacement for interfacing with the machine. And N-Trig or Wacom will all let me click around a web/windows browser.

Edit: after looking at the elitebook 2730p, the x200, and the lifebook 4410, and re-reviewing the XT2 and XT, it appears that the XT2 will meet my needs the best. It's the smallest, it's battery life is adequate (unlike the XT), and has multi-touch support and a clear dlv screen. And I'm sorry Agent 9, but I haven't seen any reference to poor build quality, but I have seen the opposite. For $880, it's basically the same price as the ebay stuff, but coming from dell itself (which I trust much more).

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

IMO, the Dells aren't worth much of anything at all. I'll just leave it at that.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the Dells aren't worth much of anything at all...>>

...Not that it matters at this point, but I couldn't agree less. The Dell XT and XT2 may not be the best convertible tablets ever made, but they are far from being the worse. Having used both, I can speak from extended experience.

Regarding the original question, I'm not sure that an XT2 is worth twice what an XT (in comparable condition) is worth, but I do think that $800 is a fair price for a refurbished XT2. IMHO, I think that you will find that the build quality is more than adequate.

Regarding the N-trig digitizer, N-trig has made significant progress in addressing the problems that early users encountered. You might not be aware of that if you had not worked with the product lately. I assume that you will receive your XT2 with Vista; I'd recommend that you install Windows 7 at your earliest opportunity and download the latest drivers (and installation instructions) from Welcome to Dell Technical Support . Be sure that the N-trig software bundle is Version 3.118; that is the latest multi-touch version. You may also want to install N-trig N-act from the N-trig support page, N-trig .

Good luck.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've liked my XT in the time I've had it, but it's not the tablet I would buy at this point in time, unless you can get a ridiculously good deal on it.

7. vtgant

vtgant Pen Pal - Newbie

The XT2 is my primary computer. I have the 128 gig SSD model with 5 gig of ram and Windows 7 64-bit OS. It is fast and very responsive. I probably use it equally in laptop and slate modes. I am still getting a solid 3 hours of battery life even though I have had it for nearly 2 years. I use it everyday throughout the day for business and personal use. I have been using tablet PCs for about 5 years including Fujitsu and HP models. The XT2 has a solid build it relatively light for its size and I have enjoyed using it. As Steve said, since n-Trig released the latest drivers I have been must impressed with the touch experience. I have made the Windows modifications to make it touch friendly and it compares favorable enough for me to my iPad. As a matter of fact, I reach for the XT2 and use it in slate mode before I do the iPad because of the inking experience.

Just trying to provide some additional insight to assist you in making your decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.