Is Update 1809 safe to install?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lovelaptops, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it doesn't really matter in march / april 19H1 will be released and hopefully those things are all fixed in that release...>>

But... does anyone know if new Windows feature updates like 19H1 depend upon having the previous feature update (i.e., Build 1809) installed...???

2. Steve S

<<...does anyone know if new Windows feature updates like 19H1 depend upon having the previous feature update (i.e., Build 1809) installed...>>

Guess I'm answering my own question. Based on searches through the Windows Forums, it appears that the answer is "No." That is, you can install 19H1 (when it becomes available) without having installed Build 1809 (the Fall Update) previously. What is not clear, however, is if specific features introduced in 1809 (such as Snip & Sketch) will also be included in 19H1...

Looks like there is more Internet searching to do...

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

My guess is yes. The updates are cumulative, I have never heard of a case where users end up with a 'partially updated system' with elements missing. If you update to 19H1 at some point this year, you'll be on the newest version, complete with all its features.

4. Steve S

<<...The updates are cumulative...>>

...Not that I doubt you, but have you ever actually seen this in writing? I ask because if all feature updates were cumulative, shouldn't they grow monotonically larger in size and time to install, whereas I've noticed that some of the feature updates have installed faster than others...?

5. Steve S

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

You can safely skip a feature update and move right to the next one. Feature updates are not the normal cumulative updates you get monthly. Feature updates are full new versions of Windows like Windows Vista and Windows 7 were before, just that they don't include so many changes at once.
    In the recent months they changed how feature updates get installed and moved a lot of the migration stuff from offline mode to online mode. So while WU is "installing" it's already starting to migrate things, which makes it feel faster because when you restart to "install the rest", it doesn't take as long anymore.

7. Steve S

<<...You can safely skip a feature update and move right to the next one...>>

@Tourniquet : Thanks for the comment!

8. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsoft released a new firmware to fix this bug finally. Can you confirm if that works? If so I'm probably going to upgrade to 1809 :)

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I would gladly try, except I sold my Go last week! Hope this fixes that problem, because it made using my Go pretty annoying. Come to think of it, I hope that the device reset fixed it, otherwise the guy that bought it might be upset with me right around now..

10. Steve S

<<...Microsoft released a new firmware to fix this bug finally. Can you confirm if that works?..>>

...I think it's probably safe to run Build 1809 now. It showed up on my Go LTE over a month ago, and I haven't been having any problems with it since I installed it...