Is Update 1809 safe to install?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lovelaptops, Dec 14, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

And fwiw, in DuckDuckGo you can type !g in front of any query to send it to Google if you need it. I find I do that a lot. My most missed feature on ddg is to search for items from the past year. They offer "past month" but not longer.

Shizaru, Marty and dellaster like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed about the search time frame. The gap between "any time" and "past month" is too wide. Unfortunately tho, restricting the time has become less and less useful as websites do little edit-refreshes on articles so that search engines think they're new. And they rarely put the original publication date on articles nowadays. :mad:

3. JoeS

Oh, I hadn't noticed that trend. But now it's of course going to annoy me, so thanks! :D But yeah, the one-year timeframe is perfect for finding help with the latest windows update screwup, including discussions by those poor saps on the "insider program". Net result, while I have ddg set as my default search provider in Edge, I'd say I end up passing the query to google about half the time anyway. Still, you do what you can.. :)

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. I will try it.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I've been quite happy with DuckDuckGo instead of Google...>>

FWIW, I've been using DDG for a while. I find it to be OK as a search engine, but I also find the results to be a little "sterile," by which I mean a little too focused and lacking in search results that might be meaningful adjacencies. Like @JoeS , I often find myself cycling back to Google to get a richer search result. As far as Google harvesting my personal data, it's way too late for me to be worried about that; my personal data hasn't been a secret for years!!

lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve S – Email spam is WAY down since I switched away from Google Search. The advertisers may have all that past use information on me bought from Google, including my email addresses, but if they're not getting recent search information they don't know what spam to send me and it seems they don't bother very often. Low chance of catching my eye with non-specific spam, I guess.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I turned off ("paused," in Google's parlance) all Google and MS tracking 12 mos ago and get zero email/ web site spam that I didn't cause myself - why, oh why, did I buy those supplements from an ad?!!!!. Never see a "personalized ad". Never go on FB and am likewise blocked on Twitter - not blocked out, but blocked myself in. No Alexa. Also foego Google Assistant even though I have a pixel 2xl and pixelbook - almost flipped the switch maybe 10 times, but stopped myself. Afterall, it's just a glorified search engine, but you have to turn off all Google privacy restrictions to use it. I feel like I live in a different universe than most netizens, w/o being a luddite or depriving myself what's useful in AI. Pretty soon that won't be possible to achieve.

That said, I've long given up any hope of privacy long term; I'm just happy not to get creepy ads after I do a search for a product!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Shizaru and JoeS like this.
  8. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, I've read a lot about that bug oh Reddit. Is it still a problem and how annoying is it? Do you have automatic brightness control activated or not? Is there some kind of work around?

Also do you notice why benefit from having upgraded to 1809?

9. JoeS

On my SG it is still a problem, and it's supremely annoying. The workaround isn't that convenient: keep the device manager open, and when it happens disable and re-enable the graphics driver. Takes about fifteen seconds, but it's still annoying.

As for benefits, for me none actually. I just scrolled through a list of new features, and I use exactly zero of them! Maybe I should roll back. Have a look at the list to see if it's worth the risk for you.

10. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you. I was about to upgrade yesterday but then I read about that bug. I hoped it would be fixed by now. I maybe Microsoft doesn't want to roll out 1809 to the surface go at all. I mean it doesn't really matter in march / april 19H1 will be released and hopefully those things are all fixed in that release.

I upgraded to Pro and set feature update delay to 365 days, just to be safe.