Is Update 1809 safe to install?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lovelaptops, Dec 14, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I can't find any articles since the November 13 MS announcement that they were resuming the paused update that caused people to lose files, but I recall reading that the re-release was troubled and was, again, paused. I have automatic updates paused in my settings so I don't know if it is back to being a general release. Has some cool features - especially Android integration - I'd love to get if/when the update is safe. Many thanks.

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When I was troubleshooting my Surface Book on Monday and letting it get updated, 1809 was not offered no matter how long I waited or how many times I clicked "check for updates". That tells me that Microsoft was not confident that it was completely safe for a Surface Book, at that time. I don't know if things have changed in the four days since then.

I still had to get 1809, so I made a flash drive installer with the media creation tool and updated from that. It went smoothly and I haven't had any problems with 1809 since. Maybe I was lucky? Who knows?

May you have just as much luck should you choose to brave the Update. ;)

3. lovelaptops

Brave? Me? With Windows update installation? Not a chance! I'll wait til I hear that tens of millions of people have successfully updated. I didn't even update from W8.1 to W10 until 30 days before the free upgrade expired! Of all the time I waste with this "hobby," I have no patience for self-inflicted pain. Though, as I think of it, I have become so cloud-based that even a clean install would not be nearly the time-sink that it once was. If I change my mind, I might hit you up for a few details on the method you used. Thanks.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

MS indeed holds off the update on systems with known incompatibilities. It was held back for my X1Y3 for the longest time due to an Intel Graphics driver conflict. Apparently they resolved that conflict in Win10, because I have the same driver, but my system did update. No problems on that machine so far.

On my Surface Go it also just updated a few days ago. That one didn't quite go as planned. It's almost perfect, but I have the weirdest bug with the brightness control. If I tap the brightness button to go to 0%, nothing changes. If I then open Edge and notepad, tapping each window successively, the brightness comes down gradually. Pretty fun bug if you're into that sort of thing. :D

So.. update safety level: 70%?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    lovelaptops likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

Thanks @JoeS . I can wait! Funny how there's pretty much nothing published about it lately.

6. dellaster

JoeS and lovelaptops like this.
  7. lovelaptops

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. lovelaptops

Thanks. This is the first update I've developed eagerness to install, for mostly intangible reasons, though I am looking forward to some of the Android phone integration. I think I will continue to wait it out though. For some reason I had very little success finding information about its status by Googling - eg, none of the sources you or @dellaster have linked came up. For a while now I've found Google searches to be increasingly hit-or-miss. Anyone else having that experience? I might start a thread about it. There's quite a lot being written about "bias" of all kinds in the search engine, though I haven't read that it just plain doesn't produce responsive, informative results from basic queries, though that's what I've been experiencing for perhaps the past year.

10. dellaster

@lovelaptops - I've been quite happy with DuckDuckGo instead of Google. One of the reasons I didn't stick with Edge on Android is because you can't set DuckDuckGo as a default. Edge desktop doesn't have that problem.

JoeS likes this.