Is this what happens to IPad or Chromebook users?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bronsky, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Eltos likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

I think the topic came up a year or two ago (by @desertlap?) and it seems young people don't believe in hierarchical file systems anymore. It's old fashioned.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Can somebody give an example of one these new-fangled file systems that do not involve any form of hierarchy? :confused:

Tag-based systems are a form of set-element hierarchy, just not tree hierarchies. Unless these students have never classified anything in their lives (possible perhaps in the AI modern age :p), I think they do implicitly understand file directories.

Eltos likes this.
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems to have caused bloggers to not understand which their/they're/there they need, or which pronoun replaces a singular item. (says the grumpy homeschooling mom who just did a lengthy lesson on pronouns this morning)

But yes, growing up on apps that keep the things you've created inside the app will lead to a user that doesn't understand file systems. They just know they open the app and their stuff is there.

WillAdams, Eltos, Tams and 1 other person like this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, as someone who is very familiar with lab equipment in a STEM field, this worry is stupid. All of our instruments, monitoring systems, etc. use dedicated databases. For 21 CFR Part 11 compliance you basically have to have data handled that way. Official documents are all managed through another electronic system.

As long as a person can keep themselves organized, then it doesn't matter whether they're used to using folders or tags or if they're just dumping everything on their desktop (seeing other people share the desktop at the beginning of all these Webex calls gives me anxiety over how messy everyone else is).

Eltos, Bronsky and yodamiked like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

More so with the iPad I can see this.

Chromebooks however are in a category of their own. While some of their use case can certainly be dumbed down, you do have access to crosonti/linux apps where to get any of that to work, you need to understand basic file storage.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For some historical context, Apple has told us before that the file system used in IOS is foundationally built on an old standard that they tried to develop in the Mac System 7 days

The core idea is solid IMHO, which is that for a user, a document should just be the content that it consists of and not a "word" or "excel" or pages document in and of itself

Reality and ideal often clash.

OpenDoc - Wikipedia

Eltos and Bronsky like this.
  8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Aren't documents just that anyway, just with some fluff in them so that a computer knows which programme to use to open them?

And I think there is utility in having the documents themselves not be easily opened by programmes that can't use them.

9. Eltos

Eltos Pen Pal - Newbie

I would hate to see what these kids note-taking systems look like. Call me old-fashioned or whatever, but just seeing some apple notes or onenote in a single flat structure with tagging only would cause me to potentially hurl.

[​IMG]

10. Eltos

Eltos Pen Pal - Newbie

I mean I get what you are saying, but we have so much code and end-user products in shared folders on servers in a hierarchical structure. I don't really know how else we would do it. Even our databases are in a hierarchy somewhat. Plus if they can't understand the concept of a file, half of the crap you talk about in regard to database etiquette might not be understandable either.

I mean I see it in my own two kids. My 15 year old artist is like a file is something procreate makes that I airdrop to my macbook for printing. A place where I look for files? What's that.

My 11 year old, on the other hand, loves to tweak minecraft mods on her windows gaming laptop and game with her friends. She knows all about hierarchical file structure.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Bronsky likes this.