Is this normal regarding CPU speed?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by de Souza, May 21, 2009.

1. Sfg5012

Sfg5012 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just started using a program called BlackBox which is supposed to allow me to see all the nitty gritty details of my TX2510us such as operating temperatures, clock speeds, and so on. I am a bit perplexed because it lists my maximum cpu speed as 2.1GHZ which is what was advertised on the box when I bought it but it shows each core only going up to 1.05GHZ at 100% usage.

Now on my desktop with a Core 2 Quad overclocked to 3.4GHZ, it shows each of the 4 cores at the 3.4GHZ. I don't know if AMD's offerings are made or operate differently than Intel's, but shouldn't a 2.1GHZ dual core processor have each core running at 2.1GHZ?

Then again I could be reading the details wrong but I've always felt this laptop to be a touch sluggish and a 50% under-clock could possibly explain why. Thanks in advance.

-Sean

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Most likely a detection problem with the program, have you checked with anything else (eg. CPU-Z)?

3. frickendevil

frickendevil Pen Pal - Newbie

If you are running at anything other than max performance, i believe it cuts the processor speed to 50%. Try again being plugged in and everything set to max in the performance mode.

4. de Souza

de Souza Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd say it's probably your power settings limiting the CPU. But as said try CPU-z or another just to make sure the readings are the same.

Also, as opposed to other CPUs (AMD and Intel), these Lion CPUs (models ZM, RM and QL) can change clocks and voltages from both cores independently. So don't get surprised if you see one core at 2.1GHz and the other at 525MHz. This leads to bad things (operating systems always keeps switching the cores a process is running, makes this ability pretty useless) and good things (if you're running a process that only uses one core, you can set its affinity accordingly and it's not rare to have one core at full speed while the idle core stays nicely at minimum, drawing much less power).

5. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

Choose the High Performance power plan and check it again.

6. Przemek

Przemek Pen Pal - Newbie

Im writing in this thread just to not make another.

I checked my tablet (2550ew) with CPU-Z and its reporting strange - sometimes for few seconds 2100mhz and 10,5 multiplier, then for few seconds 1050mhz and 5,25 multipier... im running on external power and high performance profile.

should I worry?

P.

7. Sfg5012

Sfg5012 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for not replying in a more timely manner but here are some new observations. Very rarely does the CPU ever go to its labeled speed of 2.1GHZ (even on high performance mode while plugged in), it mostly stays at 1050MHZ and the 5.25 multiplier like Przemek mentioned. Oftentimes it even goes below 1050MHZ into the sub 1GHZ range.

Both BlackBox and CPUZ report the same regarding the above.

8. de Souza

de Souza Pen Pal - Newbie

Most likely you guys don't need to worry.

The question that should be asked is: does it throttles to 2,1GHz when you load it? If so, then there's nothing wrong.

Even in high performance profile (at least the default setting I had), it reduces the clock and voltage to lower levels when the CPU is idle or close to idle - wich is likely most of the time.

There's just no need to stay at 2,1GHz if you're not using it. Plus you get less heat/power consumption and your battery lasts longer.

Ps. you can check the CPU load on the task manager.