Is there such a thing as a compendium of touch/pen aware apps?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by Vogelbung, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vogelbung

Vogelbung Pen Pal - Newbie

Question as title.

I've been swapping between the Sony Z11 and the Lenovo X201t for a while, and I've decided to go exclusively with the X201's for a while now that I'm finding Onenote much more useful.

The thing is, beyond Onenote I'm not actually doing anything that's touch/pen exclusively aware on the machine.

I was wondering if there was a list I could look at to see if there was anything that might interest me.

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Vogelbung

Thanks. That is pretty much the sum of what I was aaware was available, apart from the utilities - which I may look at later.

The question is, is that it?

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Regarding useful productive software, yep, that's it ^^

There are other, smaller gadgets available, too, which can be found with google.

However, larger, productive software, that's all.

5. Vogelbung

Dang.

This is the conclusion I'd pretty much come to before I posted - that generic software that made real use of touch/pen in terms of actual utility was almost non-existent despite the long genesis of Windows Tablet - but I figured if I couldn't find a refutation on it here, I probably wouldn't find it anywhere else.

It's disappointing. Onenote will make me more productive - it's the one major reason I'm moving from the Sony Z11's (for how long I don't know) to ostensively a slightly inferior machine in the form of the Lenovo's because the vast majority of time I spend on the move, I'm noodling and make notes - and Onenote transforms in terms of its utility on a touch/tablet machine - but one app does not a fundamental change of working make.

If 'yup, that's it' is true, then the iPad may be a product of hype, but what's being done application-wise with it makes the Windows tablet experience look like a bad joke in that case, regardless of the relative technical merits. I do wonder if the forthcoming apparent deluge of me-too tablets will make any difference...?

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're right, the lack of tablet PC applications is a big problem.
    However, there's nothing similar for those mobile operating systems like iOS, Android, MeeGo, ... I mean, yes, the mobile apps are optimized for touch screens and there are lots of them, however, they are inferior and not such powerful as the Windows programs. They are gadgets, with which you can't do many things.
    Not so with the Windows programs, Windows has the most productive ones :)

The other question is, what programs would you like? There are programs to collaborate data, like OneNote, EverNote, InkSeine. There is a program for brain storming on a tablet (MindManager). There are programs to annotate PDFs, like PDF Annotator, PDF Revu. With the proper browser (Opera) or settings you get a tablet friendly browser, too (mouse gestures). And in Word or Outlook you can add ink comments.
    Then you have the handwriting recognition and pen flicks.
    (Almost nothing of the mentioned things is available on the iPad)

So there are a lot of programs available, but what would you exactly want?

If you want more, you also have the option to install a tablet GUI on top of Windows (don't know the names at the moment, but there are some, like BumpTop) or install a second 'mobile' OS (Android, MeeGo, Windows Embedded Compact) on your machine.

7. ScubaX

I think Frank hit the nail on the head, what are you looking for it to do? What TPC's do really well is replace an actual pen and paper. So notes, drawing and highlighting.

I do wish I could easily enter data into a spread sheet like I write on paper or that my Outlook appointments, to-do list, etc could be all ink.

8. Vogelbung

One of the issues I have I guess centres on the usability dissonance between the touch/pen-aware apps and those which work through a tacked-on layer, and the way touch/ink translates to a more general-purpose use of the tablet PC as a whole. Let's face it, a significant amount of the time you're using one of these, you aren't inking.

The reason I've switched for now is, as I said before, that I'm starting to find OneNote pretty invaluable, and it is best used with an inking platform. In many of the rest of the potential applications of the machines for example, I'm actually working slower than I would with a regular notebook if I stick to tablet mode.

I dunno if you guys have had a chance to check out the iPad, but whatever accusations of toy-like nature I can sling against it for applications which pretend to be like Onenote or related applications (the ones that Applezombies rave over are pathetic compared to a Tablet PC) I have to say that in terms of a general-purpose tablet the iPad has Tablet PC completely whipped.

And that's after being on the market for a few months. Tablet PC has been on the market for how many years? This is what I've found rather hard to reconcile. Onenote and related apps which allow inking is fine. If I didn't have a number of Cintiqs lying around, it's ability to be used as a 'proper' design tool is also great. But the touch aspect is not really used at all, or used poorly at best. Taking just one aspect, you can tack on touch support onto browsers, but it's a crappy experience - more often than not, I end up in laptop mode.

I'd forgotten about Bumptop and will be loading it on the machines today, but e.g. are there no truly touch-aware browsers for example?

9. Vogelbung

Well that went well. Bumptop is gone.

10. ScubaX

Google bought it a couple months back and there was a notice of a last day to download it before the Goog take over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.