Is there no Microsoft Edge Metro version?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MosquitoSmasher, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MosquitoSmasher

MosquitoSmasher Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok i'm back to Windows 8.1 and right at home again. So SO much better for Surface. I noticed however that they are replacing the Modern Skype with a Desktop Skype, even on Windows 8.1 WHY? I really don't get it. Skype is fine as it is...sigh. MS better not be replacing IE Metro with something else....

efjay likes this.
  2. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Was suggested here, use the beta Skype translation app, still a metro app.

3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I ,too, switched back to Win8.1Pro.
    Win 10,as it is, is a beta version,imho.
    It made a mess of my TP10.
    It also messed up my power management.
    Sometimes when I shut it down...I have a real hard time switching it back on....and when it poets up I lose up 45-50% battery !...Geez
    thanks MS!
    Metro IE is certainly tablet friendly.
    The browsing speed is awesome with all the ad blockers in place .

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  4. swanlee

swanlee Scribbler - Standard Member

Yea no Metro IE is a deal breaker for me for Tablets. I did find a pretty awesome web browser that is about 95% as good as Metro IE on tablets. Still in Beta and still has some touch issues but when it's cleaned up it may be much better than even Metro IE on tablets.

https://browser.yandex.com/

5. MosquitoSmasher

Oh that sounds interesting. I might use that when/if i go back to Windows 10. As it is now Windows 8.1 is perfect for my Surface Pro and i see no reason to go Windows 10. This new browser would be a nice solution if they don't bring IE Metro back. But not only that...Windows 10 wasn't nearly as stable and fast on my Surface Pro, in fact it seemed to slow it down at times and the fans were way more often too loud than it is on 8.1

But with the new Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book i sure expect them to make Windows 10 more tablet friendly.

6. swanlee

I'm using Yandex now on all my PC's, when they get the two touch issues fixed I'll use it on my tablet ot. I also pinged them about building a universal app.

It really is an amazing browser really breaks the mold for UI. I very rarely get excited for Web Browser but this one is truly ground breaking especially for users that want a minimal GUI.

7. MosquitoSmasher

Would you say it;s better than the IE Metro app? In terms of swiping to pages and scrolling, it's just so damn fast and works perfectly. Does this browser have all that too? I also have installed some blocking lists so i get barely any popup windows on sites and barely any ads in videos.

8. swanlee

No it's not better than Metro IE but it is miles better than Chrome/Firefox/Opera as soon as they fix two little bugs that prevent you to close tabs with touch and tap with touch the address bar to go back to the speed dial page. On Win 8 I'd still use Metro IE but on Win 10 this will be by far the best option for a near full screen easy to use fully featured web browsing experience.

It has Adblock, built in malware protection, web site reputation filters,easy to toggle stealth mode, it uses nearly any opera extension so it is a fully featured Chrome/Opera hybrid browser with full extension support with a very slick UI, Tab gesture options and a great tile speed dial start page. Also the tabs are live tiles. For example on twitter if you are logged in on the tab it shows the number of tweets that are pending for you to view. The very minimal UI elements change color to match the primary colors of the site you are visiting and the tabs reflect the same thing where they are colored to the site.

Right now the page forward and page back swipes are not as extensive as Metro IE, it will only swipe forward and back to portions of the site you have already visited it will not swipe forward to a "Next" page on a site or like on a forums the next page in a message board thread. I'm going to file a bug report about that. But at least it has some semblance of swipe forward and back.

I'm now using it as my primary browser on my desktop PC's and will use it on my tablets when the touch issues are fixed. It really blows away any other browser now, shocked it is not more well known but it is still in Beta

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What touch problems with the current version of yandex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. swanlee

In the current beta you cannot close tabs using touch, at the bottom of the browser tabs have an X on them to close and pressing on that does not work, Works fine with a mouse click

Also at the top of the browser the address bar cannot be activated by touch commands, this prevents you from typing in a new address to go to and also prevents you from going back to the speed dial page. Thier support said they are ware of the issue and are being worked on.

Since it is still in Beta it can be overlooked, once these issues are fixed the browser will be very useful on touch devices.

As is the browser works really well on desktops and it's design will work great for tablets when these issues are resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.