Is there no Microsoft Edge Metro version?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MosquitoSmasher, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MosquitoSmasher

MosquitoSmasher Scribbler - Standard Member

It's just a shame that this awesome and fast way of browsing is gone. I loved its clean look and how easy and fast to use it was. Hope they'll bring that back. I guess not enough people used it?

HJK likes this.
  2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Or, in part, just change for change's sake?

3. MosquitoSmasher

I don't mind change. But why not keep it optional? This truly was an awesome way to browse on the internet. I thought it was so good that i actually accepted that i had to watch ads on Youtube, otherwise no IE Metro for me. I keep trying to swipe backwards/forwards while browsing now, gonna take a while before i get used to that.

Microsoft's browser is still the only good option for me, cause Firefox is still very choppy when using the tablet.

HJK likes this.
  4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Edge really stinks on a tablet, I'm clinging to my win8.1 on my SP3 because of metro IE11. Metro IE11 is one of the absolute best designed browsers I've ever used.

I don't mind Edge on a desktop, I'm kind of getting used to it. But on a tablet it's prettyuseless. Wasn't there a hack with a python script that let you get Metro IE11 back?

5. MosquitoSmasher

I would absolutely love that. But i have no idea how to do such a thing.

You mean this?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-10-Tip-How-to-Enable-Internet-Explorer-Metro-460776.shtml

I tried it, but Powershell just opens and shows the file, but doesn't open IE Metro 11.

Then there's also this..

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1778

But when i open it...nothing happens. Ah damn it . :(

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That would be because those were based on an early preview build of 10 that still had Metro IE included (but hidden).

7. MosquitoSmasher

Yeah, sadly it's all gone now. What a shame. I saw several comments on websites from last year where people really expected that there would be a Metro browser in the final Windows 10. But...nope. Kinda unbelieveable how we want from SO damn Tablet friendly to rather Tablet unfriendly, why not have both MS? Metro browser was awesome, why MS?

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Wouldn't you be able to extract it from a cab file inside the Windows 8.1 iso?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep. Edge is one huge step back, imo. I think IE11 modern was doomed for the recycle bin because it represented two of MS’s most stigmatized products simultaneously: Windows 8 and Internet Explorer. Never mind the fact that it was awesome on a tablet; MS had to ditch it bc most consumers are convinced that Win 8 and IE are awful. Let’s face it—we Windows tablet PC users are a minority voice and don’t count for much.

efjay likes this.
  10. MosquitoSmasher

I honestly have no idea how i would go about and do that.

Yeah i think you are right man. I never used to be a big fan of IE, hell when i still had my Sony Vaio i wouldn't go near IE. Until i bought my first Surface Pro and it completely replaced my laptop and i discovered IE Metro. I instantly loved it and gladly accepted the no plugins thing. Only a small price to pay for such an awesome browser.

Overall Windows 10 is just not for me. The game streaming from Xbox One is nice, but i barely use it so far, so i think i'm gonna roll back to Windows 8 and. who knows maybe in the future go back to 10 if it becomes Tablet friendly again.

By the way, what was that about having a month to roll back to your old settings? What happens after that month? Surely i can reinstall Windows 8 whenever i desire?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.