Is there any low-emf digital drawing device?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Hell-Cat, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Hell-Cat

Hell-Cat Pen Pal - Newbie

@thatcomicsguy I don't trust accuracy of EMF-390, but the total amount of electromagnetic radiation between 200khz and 327khz is 86.25mW/m^2 which is 86.25 milliwatt per square meter.
    You basically don't want to be exposed to it. 1 milliwatt per square meter is already dangerous for long-term exposure. That's worse than a cell tower near your house.
    That's why I said I was going to wear a glove and a sleeve made out of RF-blocking fabric. There are RF-blocking gloves. But, you need to make a RF-blocking sleeve out of RF-blocking fabric or pay a tailor for it. I don't trust the number, but that's enough to conclude that it's not safe to be near it.

I recommend that you confirm the level with a portable AM radio. You will need to know background level of AM radio noise. If your house doesn't have much dirty electricity, it would be quiet.

Perhaps, did I read wrong?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Why don't you trust the accuracy of that meter? Have you read something about it? Could you share? I don't want to be using junk equipment. Every review I read before I bought it gave it high marks.

In any case, I'm not trying to negate your general concerns. EM radiation is a genuine environmental issue.

I gather that a thin sheet of aluminum is sufficient for blocking low kHz RF, so those gloves might refract/deflect it somewhat, but your hands and arms aren't really the thing I'd be concerned about. EMR's primary danger at low power is in its effect on the nervous system and cognition. Luckily, at those low power levels, your skin and skull are probably sufficient for absorbing Wacom signals. Your eyes are another story. I wear non-prescription reading glasses with UV and blue light filters, and while they don't have any impact on radio waves, I do find they help a lot to keep my eyes from feeling tired in front of monitors.

3. Hell-Cat

Jeromy Johnson, an EMF consultant, compared inexpensive EMF meters with expensive ones and concluded that you cannot trust inexpensive EMF meters.
    I have TriField TF2, and he showed that TriField TF2 is unreliable with electric field, inaccurate with electromagnetic radiation, and accurate with magnetic field.
    GQ EMF-360 is cheaper than TriField TF2. For now, it is very difficult for cheap EMF meters to measure electromagnetic radiation in kilohertz range. Expensive

86.25mW/m^2 is not a low level. It is a "very high" level for long-term exposure. It's roughly 86 times the level where it becomes dangerous. 1mW/m^2 is dangerous enough.
    Check the distance at which it becomes safe.

If you expose your hand to 86.25mW/m^2 in the long term, you are increasing risk of blood cancer or even hand cancer if that's a thing. That much radiation can impact effectiveness of your blood cells in the short term. You might be able to feel effects if you wear RF-blocking glove and RF-blocking sleeve.

Electromagnetic radiation also impacts your muscles. It might be impacting effectiveness of your hand muscles. It might be interfering with fine muscle control which you need for drawing. Your muscles are coordinated by electrical signals which electromagnetic radiation interferes with. People regularly conduct muscle test to see the impacts of cell phone on their bodies. People discover through muscle test that cell phones decrease arm strength within seconds. My hypothesis is that traditional paper artists have better hand control.

Humans bodies require low-EMF environment for optimal operation which is one of advantages in a competitive free market.

kilohertz signals can penetrate skin and bones readily. Even 2.4Ghz WiFi signals can penetrate your skull.

Shielding and distance are your friends. What I discover is that if it's a short-range signal, its power decreases exponentially with distance.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  4. thatcomicsguy

Price point isn't always the most reliable gauge of quality. I have as many perfectly useful tools which weren't that expensive as I do expensive tools. Certainly, when it comes to these EMF meters, the really good ones have multiple antennas on differing axis and they do cost a lot more. But this is sort of a horseshoes game where we're concerned, as in, "Close Enough" is good enough. We just need to know sources and levels within a reasonable margin of error. -And I have to assume a user is going to be getting more and higher quality information from the meters we have, (I paid nearly $200 CAD, which didn't seem particularly cheap at the time), than we might using an AM radio.

Where are you getting your data from?

The various charts and graphs I referenced recommend safe levels far higher than 86 mW/m^2. -Are you reading the values correctly? Seeing centimeters instead of meters? Micro instead of milli?

Here's a few pages with charts, and when you convert and compare the data, they all say that 86 mW/m^2 is way below the various suggested safety margins.

https://www.shieldyourbody.com/safe-radiation-levels/
    https://techwellness.com/blogs/expertise/safe-emf-levels-chart
    https://emfinfo.org/guidelines-exposure.html

Out of curiosity, I took your advice about testing at safe distances. Indeed, I turned off my Dell Canvas entirely and did an ambient room reading just to get a baseline. I was surprised to see that it returned similar values across the board, (averaging around 85 mW/m^2 within that same frequency spectrum). -I'm assuming this was from cell phones and such in neighbor's houses, or general electronics (house wiring and fridge compressors and such) in my own house.

Now, that might simply mean I wasn't testing within the Wacom frequency range, or that my meter really is junk, but I'd suspect the former.

I get what you're saying, and I don't discount that there is probably some risk, but it sounds to me like you're over-estimating it somewhat.

If you are really determined to squash those low level EMR fields, (and again, it may be wise to do so), I'd recommend not bothering with gloves, (they won't protect your torso and face, etc.,) and stick instead to drawing on paper. That's really the only way to be sure. -The next level would be to do most of your work on paper, then scan it and only do brief spot corrections using one of the battery operated stylus systems out there (which don't have a Wacom antenna system).

I really don't think you're going to be able to find any draw-on-screen tech which will satisfy a zero-emissions requirement. Too bad! That would be great, but we live in a dirty world and we can't hide in perpetual bubble wrap. We can mitigate, however, and make our choices. Using Wacom is the EM toxic level I'll compromise with, and while it may indeed be (and probably is) doing something negative, I don't think it's in the same ballpark as carrying around a cell phone 24/7.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  5. Hell-Cat

https://emfacademy.com/high-emf-readings/

Various other EMF consultants recommend levels far below 1mW/m^2 for long-term exposure.
    Bioinitiative Report 2012 says you should be exposed to less than 3uW/m^2 for long-term health.

TriField TF2 and EMF-360 might be outside a reasonable margin of error regarding electromagnetic radiation. According to Jeromy Johnson, while TF2 was reading 11uW/m^2, Safe and Sound Pro 2 was reading between 1,000 and 10,000uW/m^2. In some instances, TF2 reads 300uW/m^2 while Safe and Sound Pro 2 reads 1uW/m^2.

Inexpensive EMF meters are even less trustable in kilohertz range.

Don't believe EMF-360 at face value.

According to AM radio test, an RF-blocking glove that covers my wrist should give me enough distance at which I don't hear noise from Wacom EMR. According to AM radio noise, it should definitely be safe beyond reasonable doubts if you even wear an RF-blocking sleeve that climbs up to near your elbow.
    AM radio is more accurate than an inexpensive EMF meter in kilohertz range if you know the background noise level.
    For now, if you want to measure khz range with any accuracy, you need a big EMF meter that costs thousands of dollars.

I don't know how it compares with a cell phone, but it's possible to use technologies safely.
    If I were you, I would buy and wear an RF-blocking glove. It's a lot better than exposing your bare hand to the surface.

You seem to assume that it's either very dangerous or safe. You don't have to assume. You can measure it. If I don't want to use paper, I'd wear an RF-blocking glove just to be on the safe side.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  6. thatcomicsguy

Well, it certainly sounds like you're confident in your various conclusions.

Good luck with whatever desk you put together, and happy drawing.

Cheers!