Is there a SIM slot on non-broadband V11P models?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by javispedro, Nov 28, 2013.

1. arinbell

arinbell Pen Pal - Newbie

You have to install it manually in device manager even if you've installed the driver software. (At least for ME906V that I installed on mine).

Go to device manager
    Right click on GPS device
    Click on update driver software
    Click on Browse my computer for driver software
    Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    Choose "HUAWEI Incorporated" as manufacturer
    Find "HUAWEI Mobile Connect - GPS Interface" in Models, and install it.

I'm not sure if the procedure is same for 5130, since one I have is 7140, but that's how I got GPS to work.
    But if above method doesn't work, try uninstalling all of the related devices in Device Manager. One is in Network adapters, another one in Ports (COM & LPT), and another in Universal Serial Bus controllers. Try uninstalling them, reboot computer, and retry above steps again.
    I've got my GPS working with above steps and now I get accurate location, and navigation is also enabled in Maps app.
    Only thing I have problem with though, is finding screw to hold the card, as neither the tablet nor card came with one.

2. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

That's exactly what I did.
    No luck.

3. macknnations

macknnations Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, All.

I noticed this Dell Support video for the Venue 11 Pro 5130 showing the WWAN card removal:
    http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/videos/videoPlayer/A0M2I0aToMtxtTGmCg_-6gV9WupRj1_W

It shows the antenna leads for the WWAN card. Notice the black section near the top of the frame labeled: MLD LTE AUX [H/F]
    I think the lumpy ends of the WWAN antennae may terminate there. My Venue 11 Pro 5130 had an empty space there and on the other side of the camera module.
    There are also small metal clips on the pcb that appear to be there for keeping the antenna leads in place.

4. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Look at my post earlier.
    I had a 5130 with SIM slot and installed my own WWAN and antenna cables.
    Super easy.

5. Ken Irwin

Ken Irwin Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 5130 (which I gave to my girlfriend for her design portfolio) and upgraded myself to a 7139. Since she was going to be at client sites and one of her primary needs was being able to show her website I decided to try to upgrade the 5130 to WWAN LTE before giving it to her. Ordered a ME906V off ebay along with various LTE antenna assemblies, some were way too long, some too short, some the antenna itself was way too big. This one worked pretty well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252019779687

Sold as a pair. The leads are 185mm long, just long enough for the furthest antenna and not so long that you can't wrap the excess for the nearest one. The inside of the shell has a copper shielding sprayed onto the surface so the antenna locations are somewhat obvious, along the top edge, a void with no components and a break in the copper shielding. The antennas need to be double sided taped into place. There is actually, on mine anyway, little metal cable guide clips for the antenna leads soldered into the main board. You do need to take the back shell off (not just the cover) as well as remove the mainboard to route the antenna cables. One caveat, though, the WWAN card retention screw is not typical, and not present. It is a very fine thread screw, maybe M1.5 and needs to have a large head to actually retain the board, at present mine is not screwed down, though there doesn't really seem to be any place for it to really go much.

Once all installed, installing the 2 latest Sierra drivers from Dell seemed to be all that is needed to make it work. As others have stated the GPS device stays in the /!\ state without the specific Huawei driver for it, but the Mobile Broadband pops up in network and even gave me a little "T_Mobile" logo next to it. WWAN should be setup as a "metered" connection and auto connect, this will make it a failover from WiFi and can also be setup to prompt before connect, without having to actually bring up the device config and all that every time.

Since I did hers, I also decided to do mine (7139) the antenna is already there, you still need to take everything apart to get to it, and honestly even though it's more setup to begin with, the installation is probably more difficult, especially on the 7139 with the smart card reader and fingerprint scanner cabling in the way. The existing antenna wires are also fairly stiff, same screw issue.

In the end I have both the 32bit Atom version and the 64bit i5 security version both working fine with LTE. Both tablets essentially started from scratch, as I did a reset recovery on the Atom and the i5 version was a new, old stock, unit. I have not run speed tests or anything like that on them, since firstly I did this as a backup plan to WiFi so I got a minimal plan of 2GB/mo and am waiting for a few rollovers before I do a lot of testing, and secondly my LTE coverage where I live is not so great and even use WiFi VoIP on cell phones most of the time.

Anyway, this whole thread seemed to answer the question 7000 and dance around the answer for the 5000, so I figured I'd register and let everyone who may want to attempt this that it works, it's not that big a deal, you can actually get it working with Dell drivers (except GPS), the parts are available on ebay (via China, but here (US) in 2 weeks) and the whole thing will cost you about $50 or so, plus service. The Huawei ME906V works with T-Mobile and is generally the supplied part for AT&T connections, work there as well, and am fairly certain is OEMed by Sierra by another model name, and I assume this is why installing the 2 different Dell Sierra drivers just works. I know you don't need both, and honestly not sure which you do "need", but installing both just adds them to the known device list, if it's not there it won't use it, so installing both is not really an issue. Also on the Dell driver page, you need to select "Display all known drivers" or something to that effect at the bottom of the driver list page for whichever tablet model you are using.

6. 2dwgs

2dwgs Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone ever try to put an M.2 SSD in that slot and see if it works?