Is there a SIM slot on non-broadband V11P models?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by javispedro, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Moby58

Moby58 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes,

I have a V11 Pro 5130, and it has a LTE WWAN card in it (added by the guy I bought it off)

The card is a Huawei LTE module, ME906E. Lists on eBay for around $60. I use it with Telstra Australia, with no problems.

Dont know what the card came with (aerial wise), but my V11P has 1 aerial wire on the MAIN (black) connector of the card, and nothing on the GPS/AUX (grey) connector.

SIM slot is in the side, but you need to take the battery out, insert the sim (which fits flush to battery compartment, then reinsert the battery. No trimming or anything.

There are NO pre-installed aerials. The aerial that I have has a lumpy bit at the end, and when inside the case, causes problems in that when I put the V11 down too hard, it immediately depowers the V11, and you lose anything you are working on. I now run the aerial outside the case and stick on back. I would like to find an aerial that is just wire!!!

So, for details on Page 1
    Sim Slot: Yes
    Antenna Cables: No
    Card Slot: M2M http://consumer.huawei.com/en/solutions/m2m-solutions/products/tech-specs/me906e-en.htm
    Possible: Definitely yes

v11p (Medium).jpg

Verdict91 and Luft like this.
  2. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

That is awesome.
    Thank you for replying.

There seem to be all kinds of antennas on eBay ranging from quite small to loner ones with all kinds of contraptions. Would be great if someone with the WWAN option could chime in what antennas come with it typically.

It should be possible to put the antenna INSIDE the device if you remove the black bezel around the battery area ... there should actually be white lines indicating where the wires/antenna should go.

3. FrancYescO

FrancYescO Pen Pal - Newbie

Its impossible to find part no of genuine aerials?!

is there a navigation app that can use the GPS antenna?

4. UofAnoff

UofAnoff Pen Pal - Newbie

So you just trimmed the plastic to reveal the sim slot? How did you go about that?

Also, may sound like a stupid question, but does it matter what type of WWAN card I get, in terms of compatibility with the SIM card slot? The Dell one is a bit hard to find, and is usually super expensive ($250?!?!), but i've found a ton of other ones much more modestly priced. Not sure if they're compatible though

5. Verdict91

Verdict91 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much for posting this. If m.2 ssd cards weren't so expensive I would consider getting one to stick in that port. Can you please upload a picture of how you have arranged the aerial outside the tablet?

6. Moby58

Moby58 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just stuckbit with tape. Nothing special

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

7. zoxxo

zoxxo Pen Pal - Newbie

I can speak for the 7130. I installed the US Huawei card and later the Sierra card. I used Huawei drivers for the first install and then Dell drivers for the Sierra. Both times I activated the tablet on T-Mobile and it works great. I get LTE and GPS. I've since upgraded to Windows 10 and it still works with no problems. I picked up both cards on EBay which were shipped out of China. The Sierra card claimed to be a DV11P compatible card that worked with Dell tablets.

When I bought the tablet the Dell Rep told me the tablet could not be updated post purchase which was clearly misinformation to get me to buy the LTE version. IT could also be that Dell decided not to provide an upgrade path post purchase. I highly recommend doing the upgrade if your looking an economical post purchase broadband version of the tablet...

8. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Does anyone have recommendations for 3G/LTE antennas?
    On eBay they come in various forms and it shouldn't be to hard to add ...
    Ideally someone with original antennas would post a photo (also how or where Dell runs the antennas).

I just added the card to my 5130 which super easy.

9. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

So I bought the following antennas from ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/271909531815?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Arrived SUPER FAST from China.

Installation was a breeze:
    1. Pop off back
    2. Take out battery
    3. Unscrew and take out small black plastic piece on top of battery
    4. Unscrew and pop off the back cover for the mainboard (be careful that you don't damage the screen - it's the whole side and back assembly)
    5. Install antenna on the ME906V and run the antennas along the painted white lines - there are two huge empty areas where the antenna ends go.
    6. Put everything back and close ...

I didn't even bother disconnecting the cables behind the battery since you just need to carefully lift the mainboard cover a bit to run the antenna wires.

Forgot to take pics because it was so easy ... I was done in less than 5 minutes.
    The hardest part was connecting the tiny little antenna ends to the card.

Luft likes this.
  10. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

The only thing I cannot get to work is the GPS:

I downloaded the drivers referenced elsewhere and installed the relevant driver for the GPS - still doesn't work:

Huawei GNSS Sensor: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)

Updating driver shows this to be the best and newest driver. WTF?