Is there a SIM slot on non-broadband V11P models?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by javispedro, Nov 28, 2013.

1. jackfrost

jackfrost Pen Pal - Newbie

This is only half correct. At least for my 7140 128gb 5Y10.

The SIM card is there, but its blocked behind the solid plastic for some reason. I have no idea why they would include the SIM reader but not allow access to it... and this isn't their only recent product that does it, the latitude 7350 also has the sim card reader, the only real differences between the two is that the 7350 comes with antennas while on my 7140 I had to add antennas, and the 7350 can have wwan added without any destruction but the 7140 you have to carve/file down where the SIM slot is.

I got the antennas I used here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/MHF4-IPX-Lap...-WWAN-3G-4G-LTE-NGFF-M-2-Module-/191376598350

Here's a pic of my 7140 with the 5808e installed and working. wwan.png

2. Xer0

Xer0 Pen Pal - Newbie

well maybe the SIM can be inserted damageless by removing the case / lifting the mainboard

but where did you put in the antennas?

3. jackfrost

I don't think so because the sim card when properly inserted stick out flush with the plastic (like an sd card), so you wouldn't be able fit the case back on. That's exactly how the 7350 works though, you can insert the sim card and just replace the cover.

Unfortunately I'm not certain because while removing the back plate was easy (although I was a dumbass and didn't realize there was a screw where the sdcard/simcard area is... I was used to the 7130/7139 cover) removing all the screws around the mainboard didn't let me take the actual plastic wraparound case off. Something was holding the corners together, and I couldn't figure out what it was and I didn't want to damage anything by forcing it.

As for the antennas, when you look at the m.2 slot where the wwan module goes (particularly where the antenna's connect to it) you can see two white lines running off into the upper left/right corners of the tablet... I'm guessing they're guide markers for when the official wwan version gets released (if ever... I'm looking at you venue 8 pro). With some delicate prying I was able to slide the antennas into the empty spaces there.

4. Xer0

Xer0 Pen Pal - Newbie

and by trimming the sim card?

it isn't?
    can be ordered on Dell Germany site since december or so...

5. jackfrost

Honestly, I didn't consider trimming the sim card to make it fit... I'll check it out when I get home (currently travelling).

Yeah, the Venue 8 Pro has had wwan configs available in foreign countries, but I've never seen it available in the US... to be fair, I stopped looking a year after its release, so its possible they just added it (although a quick look at the dell website doesn't show the option).

Although now that I think about it... I wonder if the "new" venue 8 pro follows recent trends with including the sim/m.2 slot (original one didn't even have the m.2 slot. I won't be checking that though, because after experiencing 1gb ram tablets I find I overload the ram too easily.

6. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

That is fascinating jackfrost.
    So if one has the sim card reader one could add the wwan antenna and wwan module to turn any of these into a 3/4G version?

7. deadkenny

deadkenny Pen Pal - Newbie

Just noticed Dell have a driver download for "Dell Wireless 5570 WWAN Mobile Broadband and GNSS (GPS) Driver" and stated as supported on the 5130.

But then there's no GPS either.

8. jackfrost

Looking at it, I don't think you would be able to trim the sim card down enough... maybe, but the notched side is pointed in, meaning there's only a tiny sliver of plastic you could shave off before shaving off the metal, and I don't know that it would be enough to allow you to leave the plastic intact. Now you could maybe trim the plastic and part of the metal contacts, but I don't know about that...

And doing that would also require you to take off the back and the wraparound back cover that's there, which I haven't been able to take apart successfully.

Yes.

If you could actually find a true 3g verizon module in m.2 format you wouldn't even need a sim reader.... but good luck finding that. Mini pcie wwan modules could use a usim solderless cable, so you could easily add them to laptops, but no such luck with m.2, at least as far as I've seen.

9. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Hey Jackfrost.
    I was wondering if you took any pics.
    While you have the 7140 and I have the 5130, I am tempted to get my own antennas and WWAN and add them to my machine.

How much worse was battery life before/after?

10. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Has anyone tried adding a WWAN card to the 5130?