Is there a shortage, or has the Eee Slate been discontinued?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by talin, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talin

talin Resident cynic

As the title suggests, is there a shortage or has it been discontinued all together? Everywhere online I've looked, they're either out of stock or back-ordered.
    Does anyone have any ideas? :confused:

2. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

Personally (and this is just pure speculation at this point, and only my opinion), I think that Asus is playing a game with both this product as well as the Transformer by limiting supply while going overboard with the PR. Look at their social networking presence at the moment...their FaceBook slate page speaks for itself. Its part of the whole marketing gimmick. As these are both first gen versions of somewhat revolutionary items for Asus, they may be really ramping up for the Gen 2 versions (and using the restricted supply of Gen 1 as the bait to gather interest).

I also believe in aliens, and that Pakistan knew that Bin Laden was there, but that is another conspiracy theory conversation. ;)

3. aussiedeza

aussiedeza Scribbler - Standard Member

Really hope not have had mine on order from amazon for a week now and their site says ships in 2 - 3 weeks ... It better *Shakes Fist*

4. jinnijinn

jinnijinn Pen Pal - Newbie

CNET just did their "first look" review of the slate yesterday, so I doubt it's been discontinued.

5. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

I would guess there is a shortage of parts. My son has wanted an Ipad2 for a while,( over 2 months) and no one has them either. Unless your willing to buy a 3g version. Which I am not.

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Cor, reminds me of something APPLE does on a regular basis. Damn cads.

Roll on the Gen 2 EP121.. PLEASE give us better battery life. If it could hit 4.5 hours of video playback (Better than my TM2 by 05 hours) I'd buy to replace.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I would guess there is a shortage of parts...>>

...That would be my guess, too. I can't imagine that Asus would go to the expense of designing a product and then not sell it in the face of significant demand. Business is all about making money, and you don't make money if first of all, you don't recoup costs. Imagining that Asus is playing some sort of retailing "game" is just paranoia...

8. sleepy004

sleepy004 Pen Pal - Newbie

9. Octavean

Octavean Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I was thinking Japan / fukushima may have had something to do with it. Still, the way I hear it ASUS has a new Eee Slate model B121 that will soon be released.

10. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

I considered that, but they have manufacturing redundancy in other parts of the world (namely Taiwan) in the event of something like that. Also...they would have made public knowledge throughout their PR machine to stifle some of the unrest about consumer supply, IMO.