Is there a premium tablet for me?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by akt, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akt

akt Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    None really, but around $1000 max as some benchmark, can go higher if it is awesome.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Nope

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows x86

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Around 10"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    I live in Sweden but will be visiting the states in a month and plan to buy it there due to prices being lower.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I dislike Acer.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    As long as possible, I have an iPad Air right now and I find that battery life awesome so as close to that as possible.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Web surfing, watching movies, the occasional game.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I have an iPad and an iPhone but I would like to not have to use apps because of lacking features in web browsers and in the OS so I was looking at a full Windows x86.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Microsoft Office will be used.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Occasionally yes. Nothing major that not even the Bay-Trail chips wouldn't handle is needed. But the more the better.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Yes, most likely will be using something to jack into my Apple TV though.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    The higher the better.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Nope

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Nope

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    64 GB + if there is a microSD slot, 128 GB + otherwise. 2 GB of RAM will be fine.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    micro are ok

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Nope

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I like the Thinkpad Tablet 8 look with the magnetic cover. Looks premium like the iPad but I would like it in 10". I also like the Surface Pro 2 but it is a bit heavy and I am afraid the fan will make noise under load and the battery life will go down the drain.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm partial to the Surface Pro 2, you haven't called out any specific x86 programs except Web Browser (so unless you want Chrome or Firefox) I would consider the Surface 2 as well (includes Office, IE has Flash Support). When I'm computing just for me I always choose my Surface 2.

Also Mobile World Congress is about a week away, we might see some new hardware announced...

3. akt

akt Pen Pal - Newbie

The Surface Pro 2 is just too heavy to be used as a tablet, it is nothing you hold in 1 hand while browsing.

Far as I understand the Surface 2 only have access to the Microsoft RT store, which means it is in the same spot as the iPad when it comes to limited to what is in the store, except it has less apps to choose from.

The thing about Mobile World Congress sounds good, maybe I will have to wait and see if something is announced.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The Fujitsu Q584 might be an option for you. It is going through some growing pains right now, but it looks like it will end up being a premium product. The base model at $879 looks like it should fit you.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Your criteria scream "Surface Pro 2" to me.

6. akt

akt Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks nice, a bit expensive for the specs perhaps but I will try to check it out in person to see how I like it. Thanks for the tip!

The problem with the surface pro 2 is that it is too heavy to be used as a tablet in your hand which means you almost have to add a keyboard to use it. The weight of it + the keyboard pushes it into ultrabook territory and then there is much better devices to buy.

For me a tablet needs to be <700 grams and rather closer to 500. If it is much more than that I might ad well get an ultrabook at 1.1-1.4 kg.

7. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

.... then what you're looking for is something smaller than 10 inches or something that isn't x86.... because that's the average. They only get heavier from there.

8. akt

akt Pen Pal - Newbie

The surface pro 2 is one of the heaviest tablets I've seen. There are numerous Bay Trail tablets that are under 700 grams. If I cannot find a more premium one I will most likely get the Asus T100. It is not premium but it works well and is light.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea the price is basically because it is, waterproof, military spec semi-rugged, Wacom pen, and Fujitsu made it =) It is really the only premium windows tablet 10"+ inches with bay trail. Really the only other premium bay trail tablet right now is the Lenovo TPT8, but that is 8". All the other devices are pretty low end.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

My Vaio Duo 11 plus sheet battery is at least twice the weight of a Surface Pro 2, and I can use it as a tablet. Try holding it with the holding hand in the middle of the back, instead of pinching one of the bezels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.