Is There a Market for a Never Changing Software SKU

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 31, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I whined (again) over in the Best Smartphone Companion thread about a concept that has been bouncing around my head for several years now - call it -

CLASSIC MAINTENANCE SKU

For example, take the Fall 2018 version of Windows 10, add Office 2016 and Adobe Acrobat Pro 11, and freeze development on them. NOTHING but security patches for a guaranteed five years. No more UI changes (where the hell did they move my cheese this time); no more feature creep (how many ways do I need to format a paragraph anyway); no additional bloat...

I'd pay a lot more than the annual licensing fees I pay now - how about the rest of you?

WillAdams and nnthemperor like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Count me out. Regular Feature updates make Windows fun. As long as they don't break anything, I'm cool with them.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

You're just not an old enough curmudgeon! For me the change for change sake (who the hell understands "fluid interface") IS A PITA.

Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I guess your age is showing. Curmudgeons hate change. I'm partly with you though. A lot of changes seems more and more to just be there for change's own sake. A little like when the super market rearrange their shelves, same goods, new place so you have to run around and (hopefully) make some impulsive purchases. But like @nnthemperor I do appreciate OTA improvements, or bug fixes, or new features. And yes, they should perhaps have been there from the beginning, but here we are.

Having said that, I do believe they should come with a STOP right here feature. When you get an upgrade that is annoying you just back pedal to the earlier version and hit that break. No more upgrade for you.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not a millenial by just a liiiiiiiitle bit, but, okay boomer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chris_Kez, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You know, I'm getting pretty curmudgeonly myself, but recently I found myself having to use Word 2003, and to my shock and horror I missed the ribbon interface! So.. maybe innovation is good? :confused:

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Thanks to my old buddy @Bronsky for a small typo that lead to the phrase I have been searching for here:

Impeevement - when you've HAD IT UP TO HERE with improvements that are neither improvements nor needed!

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  8. dstrauss

OK - that was 2007 - what since then?

JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wait, what year is this?!! :D

Does it count as an innovation that everything is becoming a subscription service? :p

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Where do I sign up.

I can't stand the way that Microsoft crippled styluses in Fall Creator's "Update", and it's getting harder to stay on 1703