Is the T902 the "best" tablet money can buy for digital artists/media professional right now?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Triple_Dude, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newveau

Newveau Pen Pal - Newbie

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That is a well-known solution to a much older problem. The tab-tip tamer is not very applicable in today's systems. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot I guess, its just very doubtful that the TIP is causing the issue. As Shog said, its gotta be a firmware error, or a process interference that steals priority from the pen. There does seem to be occasional spikes in latency that I haven't been able to pinpoint, if anyone who knew computers really well had it for a while, they might be able to find the offending service. I think its buried deep though.

3. Bubble7

Bubble7 Pen Pal - Newbie

4. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

I think eBay don't generally sell core i7 models,but I did had i7 model purchased from Authorised Fujitsu Dealer in Bangalore,India.

Coming back to yor querry:I think,All the T902 variants have dual digitisers,even the base configuration variant.
    To confirm this,this spec sheet of Fujitsu LifeBook T902 might help you:

http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-LIFEBOOK-T902.pdf

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  5. Newveau

Newveau Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally!
    My T902 just arrived! It's beautiful!

W7 pro
    i7
    500gb SSD
    16gb Ram
    Modular batter
    Modular hardrive kit (500gb)

(The first Windows computer I've owned in 8 years, so I'm a bit clueless)
    So far what I've done:

- Downloaded Chrome
    - Installed Photoshop CS 6
    - Downloaded / Installed AutoHotkey & Photoshop Toolbar.

Is there a checklist anywhere of things I should do first? Like replace Norton with Mcafe ?
    Photoshop's pen pressure seems to work fine? Should I download any specific drivers?

I can't get the Photoshop Toolbar to work.. It comes up just fine but doesn't seem to respond when i tap / touch it..

Is there a way to scroll down/up pages using the trackpad? Like dual finger gesturing on a mac?

When i turn up/down the volume with the buttons below the screen, no indicator comes up telling me what volume I'm on. Is there a way to change that?

Any other helpful tips/tricks would be awesome

cheers!

P.s I'll get some pics up in the art thread shortly

6. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Skip McAfee and Norton. Download Microsoft Security Essentials instead. It's free, fast, and unobtrusive.

7. stoneseeker

Nice! Getting used to windows again might be a bit frustrating at first, I tried to learn Mac OSXonce and almost through it out the window, they are that different. Hopefully you don't have that experience.

The photoshop toolbar is pen only (?) I think, but you say it isn't working when you use your pen on it? It has to be only in Photoshop or Sai, (make sure you downloaded the most recent one in the thread) or Artrage if you download the artrage version. Make sure you have it on photoshop mode (not Sai) when you are in photoshop trying to use it too. If you still experience problems with it, try going to the photoshop toolbar thread and those guys will help you get it working. I have a feeling you may have accidentally grabbed a really old version? Or perhaps the newest version is bugging out on yours, I got mine quite sometime ago. I'm sure its something simple.

If you drag your finger up and down on the far right side of the touchpad, you can scroll pages when in laptop mode. It will take some getting used to, bu tyou can tweak how sensitive it is and how large the area on the touchpad that registers scroll funtion in synaptics control settings. Found in: Control Panel> Mouse> Device settings> settings> scrolling. There are other options there too you can try to see if you like them better, like spiraling your finger to scroll.

I would install Microsoft Security Essentials. Its free, low resources, and quite effective. Uninstall Norton completely unless you paid for a year of it already.
    Also, get Malware bytes if you do buy any security suite on top. It is the best anti-malware and in combination with MSE, your golden.

You got the modular hard drive kit? wow, you must have some crazy storage needs if your 500gig SSD isn't enough space!

volume buttons I find really useless. I miss the days when they had dials for volume. I usually use the volume control knob in the task bar. Perhaps there is a way we can remap the volume buttons to be undo / redo, or something.

DId you order it with a SSD, or did you add it yourself? Wondering, because you may have to go and change some windows settings ... page file size, restore points, etc. heres a link: 12 Things You Must Do When Running a Solid State Drive in Windows 7 - Make Tech Easier
    Just ignore steps 1 and 2, as I think that will already be done, but you can check just to be safe. Also, if you disable Hibernation make sure to set your "lid close" option to "sleep" instead of hibernate in Power options.

have fun!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  8. Bubble7

Bubble7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm going to have my T902 i7, 4G Ram sometime next week, it come with Window 7 32bit,
    how can I upgrade to 64bit?

9. Newveau

Newveau Pen Pal - Newbie

Yo!
    Ok so the auto screen rotation is really annoying me now. Every time i wake it from sleep it decides to change orientation to portrait...
    Is there some way i can turn off auto rotate? And assign the rotate lock button to scroll through the various orientations?

I'm also getting a kinda weird phenomenon in PS CS6. About every 10th brush stroke slightly lags then the following stroke ignores pen pressure and give a thick solid line..? Do you think it's a driver problem?
    Cheers.

10. stoneseeker

Hey Newveau,

First off, yes to your first 2 questions. But you shouldn't need to.
    These are both new problems to me (at least on windows 7) so I think there is a driver issue here, or just bad calibration on the sensor. First of all, try to "calibrate acceleration sensor" in the little auto-rotate menu in the taskbar. If that didn't help the situation, try uninstalling/reinstalling or updating the driver for the auto rotation sensor. OR, if you would prefer to not mess with it and just assign the fix you had in mind, do the following:

-You can right click the autorotate icon in your taskbar and then check "automatic pause."
    -Now go to tabletPC settings and go to the button menu and click for either the A or B button. Now assign the button of your choice to "change display orientation" (top pull down menu).
    -Or alternatively if you don't want to waste one of your tablet buttons on that function, assign one of your pen buttons instead.

Now for your other issue, I'm really not sure. I have photoshop cs6 and win7pro as well and the only thing I notice is if I hit undo and draw in the same split second I sometimes get a thick line (without pressure sensitivity) but if I give it time to think (wait a split second) it never happens. Is it on every 10th stroke like clockwork?? I had the odd fall out of a stroke now and again way back but never that often and it almost never happens now. Is it with really huge or complex brushes? I do find that when the system is pushing the CPU to its limits, I see more digitizer freakouts and errors. Also, it could be the famous fight between the wacom and windows driver.
    Try this to eliminate that as the cause: Search services and click on services.msc . Now scroll down the list till you see "Tablet PC input service" and then right click it. Under start-up type select "disable" and then apply, and in the previous window with the service still selected hit "stop service" on the left. Now your auto rotate and input panel won't work until you reverse those steps, but for now the wacom driver will be the only one being used to navigate the screen with the pen. So now go into photoshop and draw for a while to see if the problem is still there.

Also, which driver version are you using? Are you on the new firmware? To know, go to wacom pen tablet properties and hold ctrl while clicking on the about button. The driver version and tablet # should be there.

A side note, have you noticed much cursor jump while drawing? The phenom that most of us with T902's encounter once in a while when the cursor jumps away and trails back to the pen or clicks something you just clicked? It's like a delayed response that repeats your last millisecond but only once in a while... just curious if it is happening to you too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.