Is the T902 the "best" tablet money can buy for digital artists/media professional right now?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Triple_Dude, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If you use photoshop, Ntrig is a bust. Their are no wintab drivers for it.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@Aman: Sigh. You didn't clearly read or understand what was written to you.

Fujitsu is an excellent brand with many happy users. Posting about genuine problems is encouraged, but continually slagging a manufacturer based on nonsense is not cool as it can mislead other potential users looking to this forum for solid information.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  3. stoneseeker

haha yep.
    haters gonna hate

It's not poor shielding... It's windows 8 combined with shattered expectations.

4. Newveau

Newveau Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all.
    New to this forum but I've read most of the relavant T902 articles.

I am a professional illustrator looking for a portable means to draw/paint onscreen. I've been using various Macbooks and an Intuos 3 for the past 5-6 years?
    My mind is now made up to acquire the most powerful T902 possible.

Ideally I would have the T902 as my main workstation accompanied with a decent sized monitor. If i want to paint on a bigger screen, can I technically use the T902 in the same way I would use my Intuos? (painting on the T902 whilst looking at the larger monitor)

I am planning to buy the simplest i7 T902 from ShopFujistu, then source my own 16GB RAM, 250 SSD. I am thinking to buy the bay battery from ShopFujitsu as well, since I can't find it for much cheaper anywhere else.
    Fujitsu America -

Questions:

- I'm not too sure what processor I should get; either the i7 for Windows 7 logos, or Windows 8 logos. (to be honest I'm not ever sure what they mean)
    It seems the vibe is Windows 7 is currently better on the T902.. What will I be missing out on in Windows 8?

- I'm not too sure what the SSD cache option is... I plan on eventually running the whole machine on SSD, so should i get this?

- What's a Port Replicator, do i need it? (Sorry I'm not that fluent in computer-speek, I've been a mac-zombie for a while now)

- Any other info would be greatly appreciated, i.e listing the best specs / brands of equipment upgrades / purchase sites ect..

Thanks in advance,

Max.
    Max Illustration

5. Newveau

Newveau Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh one thing i forgot!

- Are the external buttons on the screen portion customisable? Having something similar to Cintiq's quick keys would be nice.
    In relation to that, has anyone tried ArtDock on the t902?

6. stoneseeker

Nice to see another illustrator! I've been using this thing full time as my only machine for illustration and animation for the last 6 months so I'll try to share what I know.
    The T902 is a powerful workstation that can definitely replace most desktops.
    but sadly, this is one feature of a Cintiq that cannot be done with a tablet PC... there is no "intuos mode" for tabletPC's. other than duplicating the screen and simply looking up, but I'm not sure how well that would work if other mointor is a different resolution...

HOWEVER, My solution ( I also wanted more screen real estate for animation when I was at my desk) was to buy an old Cintiq that had the same tech as tabletPC's (cost me $350 on Ebay) and use it in tandem with the tabletPC. In other words, I use the same pen on both screens, with the desktop extended. I typically keep the "stage" or paper on the cintiq , and all my menus and stuff on the T902. This works really well, the pen works flawlessly on both screens while I work, and the system seems to handle having both the drivers without much issue. There is a thread all about this by Shogmaster.

This is what I did, and it was quite costly, but may be the only way to get an i7 T902 right now. Ebay once in a while gets them, but most are the i5.

Your talking about 2 different things. The processor will run whatever operating system (windows 7 or 8) you want to install. Your choice of processors is between the i5 3320m and i7 3520m. If you want to future proof your machine or have really high processing demands, the i7 is best. The i5 is a small sacrifice in power, and far more economic.
    For artists primarily buying the machine for use with the pen, I would go with Windows 7. Windows 8 is still an option in the future if you want to install later yourself, but at the moment the drivers misbehave, certain functions have been reported not to work proper, and general instability when using art programs that aren't an issue in windows 7. You won't be missing much in Windows 8, just some flashy touch friendly options and an ugly metro interface.

If your planning on getting a big SSD to put in yourself (good idea) than no, you definitely don't need this.

no. it just makes it easier to dock at a desk. It doesn't add anything significant.

Your on the right track. Finding a deal would be very satisfying to save some cash, so try saving a search for the T902 in Ebay and have it e-mail you everytime a new listing matches. Also, if you decide the i5 is good enough, there are many places to get the T902 cheaper, such as newegg.com and laptop authority.

I live in canada and after buying the T902 with i7 from Fujtisu direct, (custom build) with mod bay battery, plus shipping, and taxes.. and bought my own 512 gig SSD and 16 gigs ram, the whole cost was just over $3200! I think you could avoid that cost if you are in the states to an extent, but be aware that by settling with the i5 you could save a $1000 or more simply by way of more buying options becoming available.

Also, yes. There is an option to customize the on screen buttons, but they are rather redundant when using the nice custom "photoshop tool bar" made by the others on this site. It's essentially artdock like program that gives hotkeys for Photoshop and Sai.

hope this helped,

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  7. Newveau

Newveau Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow thank you so much for all your help!

I'm considering buying through Laptop Authority, since they can provide my necessary upgrades for cheaper than it would cost to buy them separately and pay individual shipping costs to New Zealand.

That's amazing news about the 'photoshop tool bar' !! What a great community

- Is it possible to plug my Intuos into the 902 machine and an external monitor?
    I haven't used a stylus on a screen before, appart from Color! on the Nintendo DS (5-level pressure); so I'm worried it will take me a while to learn to paint with my hand in the way. It would be good to know i can use my intuos as a backup if a pressing job comes through while I'm learning.

Do you know if all models come with a backlit keyboard?

I found this site, which offer extremely cheap i5's. I'm not sure if it's legit or not though.
    Search Results : Mall-Best!, Electronics, Sporting Goods, Fashion, Coupons and More Online Shopping
    I am looking for an excellent running i7 machine, but some of those i5 machines listed would end up being almost $2k cheaper o_O
    Realistically the most intensive work I do is working on very large (5000+px) photoshop files with many layers.

Thanks again,
    Max.

8. stoneseeker

I suppose for intensive photoshop work the i7 wouldn't hurt, but if you can save more than $500 or so without it, its probably not worth it. I regularly max out the processor on this i7 T902 while painting with complex brushes, but I imagine the difference isn't super noticeable, the i5 might start to lag a tad before the i7 would. I rarely see lag in photoshop though. I definitely see lag in large Flash files though. Most users on here would suggest the i5 unless your really concerned about power.

I would stay far away from that site you listed! Looks like a scam to me. It pretends to be US, but is actually based in China. Sketchy mcSketcher. Laptop Authority however, is a great site, with many happy buyers.

When I bought the T902, backlit keyboard was not an option. In fact, their whole customize section is different now and I finally saw what you meant by "windows processor logo" selection. Super weird way of doing things. Its as though the displays and layout are different for their windows 8 machines. It seems they are only shipping the backlit keyboards with windows 8. I suppose if you really wanted the windows 8 "build" and display (whatever that means) you could, and then put your own windows 7 install on yourself... if your buying a SSD seperate, your gonna have to install an OS onto it anyway.

And yes, you can use the intuos with your T902 and multiple displays. I think you could even rig up 2 monitors and stretch the intuos mapping across both if you really wanted. It behaves just like any other computer in that regard. There shouldn't be any interference with the drivers in that respect either. Coming from an Intuos past myself, you will find it weird at first. I found my hand was always in the way of things on the screen. Takes a bit of getting used to the digitizers as well. It's something you will grow very comfortable with over time, just like the intuos, but will start out awkward... just like your intuos.

9. Newveau

Newveau Pen Pal - Newbie

10. stoneseeker

naw, don't worry. I saw that video and even commented on that bit of misinformation. The thicker looking one he holds up is the T901. There is only one physical T902 chassis. There may be slight variances in the european models to the USA models, mostly concerning small hardware differences like the antenna and backit keyboard, but nothing that drastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.