Is the T902 the "best" tablet money can buy for digital artists/media professional right now?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Triple_Dude, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Triple_Dude

Triple_Dude Aspiring Artist

I've looked around, and it seems like all the other tablets that have digitizers either use ULV processors or Atom processors (yuck). While ULV i5/i7's aren't anything to sneeze at, it certainly isn't enough to do heavy duty high DPI work (i.e. 300 DPI canvas sized art) and media rendering (HD video footage in Sony Vegas).

The T902 seems to be the only tablet I've come across so far that has a full voltage i7 processor as a purchase option (2.9Ghz Dual Core i7-3520M), which should be beefy enough to meet most of my needs. With the added bonus of a great IPS screen at a great resolution.

Are there other options for tablets with a full voltage processors?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes and that's why I bought one.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nothing beats the T902 right now. However, there are a few more full voltage tabletPC's out there.

The Lenovo X230t uses the same full voltage CPU's as the T902.
    The HP 2760p had a full voltage CPU.
    The Fujitsu T901, the predecessor to the T902 is also an adequate art machine, has a full voltage 2nd gen CPU, and can also come with optional dedicated GPU. Also, some have had success putting a quad core processor in it since it's socketed.

regardless, because of the resolution and design, the T902 is indeed the king of the hill for artists.

4. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, or a T901 is pretty comparable as well. I use a T901 personally, and other than some quirks with the touchpad (shared with all laptops/ultrabooks/notebooks/whatever) it's been quite good.

Either way, yeah, Fujitsu is the way to go.

5. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Acutally, if you can swing a modbook pro that's probably the best money can buy, but that's gonna set you back two to three times what a T901 or T902 runs, now that I think about it.

6. stoneseeker

modbook pro is only 1280x800. With less functionality and just as heavy. No mod bay, less battery life, no keyboard, fat for a slate.

Only thing I could think of causing someone to spend that much on a modbook over a superior T902 would be for the preference of Mac OS. I hat mac OS, so I can't dream of this being a reason to justify the outlandish price.

I would agree it would be worth a second chance if it converted the newer macbook pro's with higher resolutions and a dedicated video card. However, the resolution on the T902 is perfect for the screen size IMO.

7. attagirl

attagirl Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like all the Fujitsu T902 in the i7 range are sold out everywhere. I can only find i5s... do you think an i5 would be sufficient for artwork and novel writing? I wouldn't be running any big Adobe software, I'd use my desktop for that, as I've never been happy with the pen behavior in Photoshop or Illustrator.

8. stoneseeker

I don't think you would notice the difference between the i5 and the i7 in many applications. I want as much breathing room as possible, and run demanding programs, so I decided on the i7, but the i5 will have no problem running Photoshop (or any of your programs) lag free. In fact, it may even give your desktop a run for its money. Once I put a SSD and 16 gigs ram in mine, it easily outperforms my work desktop in most applications. The lack of dedicated video card is its only real weakness in contrast to a typical desktop.
    If you don't need that kind of power though, you may be better off getting something cheaper with a ULV processor. Of course, if its the 13.3" 1600 x 900 wacom screen you want, then the T902 is your only choice for a tabletPC.

9. attagirl

attagirl Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, stoneseeker, this is exactly the info I needed.

10. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the t900. I've had it for 3 years. It's great. Now does anyone know if there's going to a newer version, a T903 or whatever? The T902 is better than mine, but I'd like a bigger jump up when I'm ready to make the new purchase.