1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Is the T902 the "best" tablet money can buy for digital artists/media professional right now?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Triple_Dude, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Triple_Dude

Triple_Dude Aspiring Artist

I've looked around, and it seems like all the other tablets that have digitizers either use ULV processors or Atom processors (yuck). While ULV i5/i7's aren't anything to sneeze at, it certainly isn't enough to do heavy duty high DPI work (i.e. 300 DPI canvas sized art) and media rendering (HD video footage in Sony Vegas).

The T902 seems to be the only tablet I've come across so far that has a full voltage i7 processor as a purchase option (2.9Ghz Dual Core i7-3520M), which should be beefy enough to meet most of my needs. With the added bonus of a great IPS screen at a great resolution.

Are there other options for tablets with a full voltage processors?
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes and that's why I bought one.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nothing beats the T902 right now. However, there are a few more full voltage tabletPC's out there.

The Lenovo X230t uses the same full voltage CPU's as the T902.
    The HP 2760p had a full voltage CPU.
    The Fujitsu T901, the predecessor to the T902 is also an adequate art machine, has a full voltage 2nd gen CPU, and can also come with optional dedicated GPU. Also, some have had success putting a quad core processor in it since it's socketed.

regardless, because of the resolution and design, the T902 is indeed the king of the hill for artists.
  4. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, or a T901 is pretty comparable as well. I use a T901 personally, and other than some quirks with the touchpad (shared with all laptops/ultrabooks/notebooks/whatever) it's been quite good.

Either way, yeah, Fujitsu is the way to go.
  5. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Acutally, if you can swing a modbook pro that's probably the best money can buy, but that's gonna set you back two to three times what a T901 or T902 runs, now that I think about it.
  6. stoneseeker

modbook pro is only 1280x800. With less functionality and just as heavy. No mod bay, less battery life, no keyboard, fat for a slate.

Only thing I could think of causing someone to spend that much on a modbook over a superior T902 would be for the preference of Mac OS. I hat mac OS, so I can't dream of this being a reason to justify the outlandish price.

I would agree it would be worth a second chance if it converted the newer macbook pro's with higher resolutions and a dedicated video card. However, the resolution on the T902 is perfect for the screen size IMO.
  7. attagirl

attagirl Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like all the Fujitsu T902 in the i7 range are sold out everywhere. I can only find i5s... do you think an i5 would be sufficient for artwork and novel writing? I wouldn't be running any big Adobe software, I'd use my desktop for that, as I've never been happy with the pen behavior in Photoshop or Illustrator.
  8. stoneseeker

I don't think you would notice the difference between the i5 and the i7 in many applications. I want as much breathing room as possible, and run demanding programs, so I decided on the i7, but the i5 will have no problem running Photoshop (or any of your programs) lag free. In fact, it may even give your desktop a run for its money. Once I put a SSD and 16 gigs ram in mine, it easily outperforms my work desktop in most applications. The lack of dedicated video card is its only real weakness in contrast to a typical desktop.
    If you don't need that kind of power though, you may be better off getting something cheaper with a ULV processor. Of course, if its the 13.3" 1600 x 900 wacom screen you want, then the T902 is your only choice for a tabletPC.
  9. attagirl

attagirl Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, stoneseeker, this is exactly the info I needed.
  10. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the t900. I've had it for 3 years. It's great. Now does anyone know if there's going to a newer version, a T903 or whatever? The T902 is better than mine, but I'd like a bigger jump up when I'm ready to make the new purchase.
  11. stoneseeker

It will be some time before we'll know... Haswell is around the corner, but it will probably be at least a year before we start seeing it implemented into mobile devices. I can't see why Fujitsu wouldn't make a T903 though.

I think your probably right to wait it out. The T900 is still an adequate machine by ultra portable tabletPC standards, in fact, it's probably still a touch faster in many ways than the ULV Surface Pro or ATIV700t simply based on its full voltage processor and upgrade-ability for more ram. I admire your patience and resolve to not have to buy the newest shiny thing, I'm hoping the T902 will last me 4 years as a main work machine.
  12. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

" Is the T902 the "best" tablet money can buy for digital artists/media professional right now?"

Big joke,!!!
    You know about my experience with T902,right?

Fujitsu consumers should only expect High speed ,good picture clarity and sturdy frame and a reliable machine to do daily activities.And what they should very happliy expect is a nice stylus as a crayon to draw something,which only small children can draw.

Very nice:Fujitsu reminded me of my childhood funny days where I was learning how to draw and I am very sure new T-Series owners would definately enjoy using this kid's pen Tablet PC.
    T-Series is Cramp!

ModBook Pro or Wacom's Upcomming Tablet PC should be a serious option for sketchers.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  13. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

What's special about the ModBook Pro?

BTW Fujitsu has made the best tablets I've ever used. HP and Lenovo tablets aren't as good for drawing.
  14. Aman

See page no. 3 (starting from SuperFlyBoy's Comment/Reply) to the last of this thread and in that see all my comments and you will find exactly why I am saying ths stuff:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fujitsu/54537-prospective-t902-buyers-list-warnings-3.html

Also see my complain thread:
    https://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=46178

Less idea about HP and Lenevo,but ModBook Pro,Motion Computing and Tablet Kiosk Tablet PCs offer superior Sketching precision Experience.

If Fujitsu can learn from the complains of its customer and accordingly follow them in eliminating them or reducing them in T903,it will be definately appreciable.
  15. stoneseeker

Aman, Its comments like these that are rather ignorant, especially after all the help I've offered in regards to your experience. I am a 2D animator and use the T902 to do production animation for TV, many shows you may have seen if you have children. The T902 has been incredibly sufficient for drawing, painting, animating, designing and sketching as a primary (and only) device for the last 6 months.
    Are you calling me a child, who only draws with crayons?

It isn't perfect, most of us are well aware of that. But as Zero has said, it's the best we got. Until you try the modbook and discover otherwise for yourself, your in no place to say it's an improvement.
  16. Aman

I am not calling you a Child,may be you are lucky enough to recieve a non-defective T902 Unit.
    No idea of it.
    If its a windows 8 problem.no idea of it.

But I know that artists buŷing a Windows 8 version of T902 will not be considering it usable at all for sketching and will not be happy at all.
    Nothing could happen after trying callibrating 75 times and nothing could much happen after complete Driver updates.

Fujitsu would no longer be selling windows 7 versions.And it would have been better that I would have got Wndows 7 version so atleast I would have got a 40 percent chance of having a good pen Callibration
  17. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Aman:

I did some hunting around, and it sounds like Windows 8 doesn't offer a way on the T902 of shutting off finger-touch, which can interfere with the pen action. That sounds irritating, but then, so does Windows 8.

When using these kinds of devices, I've found that it is important to get an OS which compliments rather than detracts from it's use as an art tool.

I've been on Win XP for a long time now, because that's what my old legacy hardware was built around. It works fine.

What I'd recommend, Aman, is doing some more research on your specific issues and perhaps re-build your machine with Windows 7 where you might find finer control over the touch capabilities, (ie, being able to turn off the finger touch altogether either through the control panel or just by disabling the finger touch driver). It sounds to me like the bulk of your problems are linked to the capacitive touch screen function getting in the way of things.

Also, edge accuracy, it must be understood by anybody getting into the digital art world, is just plain bad with ALL Wacom hardware in both Cintiq and Tablet PCs, and I believe, in the Cintiq alternatives. So it's best to calibrate your stylus for the area of the screen in the middle, about 3/4 of an inch in from the edges and just not sweat the edges so much. It's not ideal, but you get used to it after a while.

As for calibration; you're never going to get 1:1 accuracy from any Wacom device; there will always a little bit of drift between where your stylus nib is placed and where the cursor appears as you work across your screen. It might be perfect on one place of your screen, but half a screen away, may be a little off; I've found there can be up to about an 8th of an inch variance as you move the cursor around the screen. However, you get used to this quite quickly until it is simply no longer noticeable; you end up paying attention to the cursor position and not the stylus nib position when you draw. The brain is entirely capable of translating the drift without any necessity for worrying about it on the conscious level. Switching brands will not make any difference in this regard.

The Wacom hardware used in any Tablet PC, (and in the Modbook Pro) comes from the same OEM supply. The drivers made by Wacom for this particular hardware are all Windows based, so the Modbook Pro people will have had to do some creative work to get the Wacom gear running on their machines. They might have found some way to improve the experience, but I've not heard anybody make this claim.

There may be some differences wrt shielding between different brands since that construction is up to each individual Tablet PC maker, but for the most part no manufacturer I've ever heard of has failed to follow the recommended specs Wacom gives when they sell their OEM digitizer components. I've never heard of any Tablet PC suffering from EM interference problems, (that is, EM coming from within the computer itself; external power devices passing close to the screen are another matter), so I would suggest you may have misdiagnosed the issue in your case.

Also, using a ruler on the screen of a Wacom-enabled device is dodgy at the best of times; it works, but is simply not the most accurate way of creating lines. Digital art screens are a whole other animal when compared to pen and paper, and while they share some characteristics of the physical mediums, they should not be mistaken for being the same; they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend using the digital ruler/vector tools in your art software to create straight lines instead of a real world ruler. You'll be much happier with the results.
  18. Aman

Thanks a lot for so much valuable information.:)

If suppose I decide to buy Asus Taichi 31 (13.3 inch version),
    How does its N-Triq stylus and N-Triq drivers perform compared to Wacom?
  19. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've only ever used N-Trig on a little Android handheld with a 7" screen, (can't remember the brand). It was just a little notepad program with a limited sketch tool. The stylus worked, but it was nothing like using a regular Wacom device. I don't know what it would be like on a full Windows machine with real art software.

N-Trig has in the past scored poorly with digital artists as compared to Wacom tech, but their newer hardware has received somewhat better reviews over the last year or so. The popular opinion, however, is still that Wacom offers the best system available today. --There are some new-comer digitizers on the market today which are getting excellent reviews, (made by Yiynova and Bosto) but none of that new technology has yet migrated to the Tablet PC market; it's strictly found in Cintiq clones.

Personally, I would say that your current Tablet PC is about as good as it gets, but you are certainly encouraged to experiment with different studio tools in order to find the best fit for your personal needs and tastes. If you do end up replacing your Fujitsu with an Asus, you can let us know what your experiences are like. I'm sure people here would be interested to hear about it.

Good luck!
  20. Aman

The leader in Tablet Pen Technology has always been the Wacom but some Tablet PC manufacturers like Fujitsu do not properly integrate Wacom Technology with proper shielding in their Tablet Pcs.
    The best manufactures I think,are Motion Computing,Tablet Kiosk and ModBook Inc.

If we look at the specs of Taichi 31,they aren't impressive than that of the ModBook Pro or T902,but if it can offer good pen accuracy and decent overall performance in less cost,it could be not a bad option either,considering that this one has the latest 4th Generation N-Triq technology,not the old N-Triq Tech.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013