Is the Surface 4 Coming Soon? If So, Where Are the Rumors?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Agreed. My ideal Surface 4 would be Core M, 128 SSD, 4GB Ram, the updated Pixel sense digitizer, full angle recline kickstand, and instead of a Micro USB port, they should use USB-C for charging, but still keep the fullsize USB 3 port. I'd also argue to have the pen or keyboard included with the purchase. That would be worth $500 in my book.

Slimmer bezels also couldn't hurt.

2. DevilGear

DevilGear Pen Pal - Newbie

I was looking into buying a 128gb lte model yesterday but I needed to fix my Lenovo yoga trade in before hand and was worried they would run out, according to the manager who was helping me, the current surface 3 promotion is going until they run out of stock.

as far as the pro 3 sticking around they occasionally have one or two come in but are usually completely OOS.

3. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting video: Lenovo Miix 700 vs SP3 for prolonged use (video rendering). TLDW - difference is very marginal but Core M is fanless.

Core M option of Surface 4 would be great.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Surely MS has a Surface 4 waiting in the wings - March 15 Apple drops the iPad Air 3, and all the rumor sites report it will have the keyboard connector and Pencil support (optional extras of course), but that is encroaching pretty seriously on the Surface 3, especially given it tops out at 128gb of storage as well.

5. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

iPad Air 3 will eat Surface 4's lunch but it won't matter for people here anyways including myself. For me, iOS can never replace Windows, so I am at the mercy of Microsoft and whatever they decide to cook up. Three position stand ********, 2 GB RAM in the base model, slow as hell charging, slower than molasses eMMC.. because why not, people who need Windows can't go anywhere, so screw them and they keep coming back. The less said about other OEMs the better...read about Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855, HP Envy 8 Note, HP Pro Tablet 608 G1, Thinkpad 8 tablet issues...QA issues, horrendous battery life, extremely poor standby time, and marketed as workhorse..shameful! Its a wonder these companies are still alive. If there was no Microsoft monopoly to prop these guys up they would have all imploded by now.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I'd be happy with the current Atom X7 specs, just give me a 256gb faster ssd, a larger battery(I'm sure you can do it MS, without making it noticeable thicker), faster charging, and I'd be set.

JoeS likes this.
  7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well Asus too preparing to release a surface clone until end of first half of the year(in Computer 2016 probably)
    Asus Planning To Release A Microsoft Surface Clone In 2
    http://microsoft-news.com/asus-planning-to-release-a-microsoft-surface-clone-in-2016/

"During its recent financial results call, Asus revealed that they are working a Surface clone. This upcoming 2-in-1 device will have kickstand and Type Cover like ultra-thin keyboard for typing experience. Asus will also support Active Pen on this device. It will have USB Type-C port and SD card slot as well."

So either competitor to upcoming Surface 4 or to Surface Pro 4 device will be.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That would help, but I wouldn't mind core m added into the mix. I also really hope they manage to improve the initial activation pressure of the pen, because I find my TPY12 much more comfortable to write on than my Surface 3.

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I agree Core M would be nice, but it seems like that the current Core M models aren't getting great battery(at least the newest ones that are out now aren't) life. Plus, if the Atom models pricing is anything to go by, an S4 with a Core M will base at SP4 prices? Unless, they can keep the S4 with Core M priced the same as the current S3.

10. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I know I can find some nice and serious discussions about S4 here.
    Really in the market of S4. My expectation includes updated pen support, removal of the frontal windows button (and thus thinner bezel), lighter and thinner overall.
    Performance is not my major concern for such a device but smoother is always better. And the battery life! Last but very important, I really hope there will be no more "spending a whole year after release to solve most driver issues"...

The key difference between Surface line products and other surface like devices is the support for pen, which I believe is critical for a lot of folks here. Compared to other tablets below or around 10-inch, Surface-non-pro might be the only one with some serious productivity when in use.

With all the nice hope I had a brief conversation with a staff at the MS store (NY 5th ave Flagship). Though he admitted he didn't know much, but according to his understanding of the company's strategy the Surface non pro line would not be cut out. He didn't have solid source but was pretty sure that the S4 would be somewhere not far.

Hopefully!

(I plan to give the two SP3s we have to some family members and maybe get a S4 and SB2 in the near future)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.