Is the R1F upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by thaluckyspoon, Mar 8, 2007.

1. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I did a lot of research and read the forums for a while w/o posting until recently and I think I want to get the R1F. The only thing is that the RAM and CPU are a little low for my taste... especially for something that will more than likely be running vista premium. Is it possible to upgrade the processor to say a 2.0 or 2.13 Core 2 Duo and upgrade the RAM to 2 GB's? Can the RAM be upgraded after I purchase like most laptops or is the slot already filled.

I know that the CPU can't be upgraded after I purchase it ( at least not very easily ) so does ASUS offer upgrades or any retailers offer upgrades for this product?

If I can't get it with at least 2GB of ram I might have to settle for a regular notebook instead.

BTW I tried searching for this answer and could find none sorry if it exists.

~ Thanks

2. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you buy the ASUS R1F from Australia/Asia (not sure about europe), it comes with a 2.0 prosessor.

It comes with 2 512MB sticks of RAM, so both slots are full, but you have the option, of say buying a 1GB stick, and replacing one of the 512 sticks - or 2 1GB sticks (or even a single 2GB stick, but that is very expenseive at the moment).

3. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

contact the resellers about customizing the R1F. some of them will customize it for you. also, be aware that doing this will void your warranty with asus so make sure you find out if the reseller will be willing to provide their own warranty or something.

4. Kayla

Kayla Pen Pal - Newbie

MilestonePc has upgradeable options, including ram and cpu. You will void Asus's two year warranty but MilstontePc gives their own warranty. Check out their site.

5. thaluckyspoon

I definitely don't want to void the warranty so that is definitely out of the question. Upgrading the RAM is a viable solution but I would be throwing away a 512mb stick of ram which seems kind of wasteful to me.

As much as I could use and need tablet functionality to write equations and draw circuitry the sacrifices that I would have to make are starting to seem a little too much. For the same price I could get a powerhouse desktop replacement in a 14.1" screen from HP.

Upgrading the ram to 2.5gb would cost me around 250-300 which would put me well above my limit of 1,800. Does anyone know of another tablet maker that would offer these kind of performance specifications without gouging the price?

Edit: Gateway has exactly what I am looking for at a very reasonably 1,550 but I don't trust the gateway brand one bit so I guess I better head over to those forums and start asking questions.

6. kudoskun

kudoskun Scribbler - Standard Member

Make sure you dont throw it away. If you read on the fourms here, ASUS will only service original equipment. Any upgrades you make are not covered. (CPU @ a retailer or yourself, RAM upgrades, HDD etc.)

If the laptop ever fails and you DONT have a warranty through a retailer such as milestone or others(not ASUS) Asus will not cover your upgrades.

So you would have to switch them back to the original, but then if the originals work you did your own trouble shooting! :p

Hope that helps/clears up future questions.

Val

7. thaluckyspoon

I understand that I'm pretty sure every company operates that way. The thing I'm worried about is speed. I will be using this laptop in tablet mode MAYBE 20% of the time which means the other 80% will be pure typing on a notebook. I don't want to be wishing 80% of the time I had a faster processor or more ram.

Is the 20% of the time really worth it?

8. canavati

canavati Pen Pal - Newbie

I rad allot of things about the warranty, you can upgrade de memory without lossing it, but you should keep the original modules so if you need warranty you only put them again and send the machine back, I recently buy this tablet I will get in on Monday and I pay $1,760 USD includding shipping for the R1F, carry case, mouse, 1GB extra Total of 2GB, and 1GB USB pen drive, I make the offer on eBay to a company of $1,500 and they tell me that they will do it for $1,700 plus shipping and insurace $30 USD each so I pay $1,760 here is the link of the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=110105745628 hope this help. Jerry

9. eulacia

eulacia Pen Pal - Newbie

With a 2 gig core 2 Duo and 2 gig RAM how could it be slow?

10. russki

russki Pen Pal - Newbie

To expand on the original poster's question, I have two follow-up questions:

1) Is the battery under the same warranty, or would Asus still cover that if I buy customized (btw, is the modular battery also plagued by the same issues as the main battery?)
    2) What reseller would you recommend - obviously, that becomes increasingly important. So far the one I really like is AGear, then there's geared2play, but that's about it (USA is the location). Any suggestions?
    (Btw, I'd be all over Milestone if only they do the 100Gb 7200 RPM feature)